Is it cheaper to buy lens in Hong Kong?

iamnks

Feb 2, 2009
Hi, I am planning a trip to Hong Kong and I am looking to buy canon 16-35mm F2.8L ii.
Is it cheaper and safe to buy lens in Hong Kong or better just get a grey set in spore?
Anyone bought lens in Hong Kong can advise me?
Thanks a lot

Hi, I am planning a trip to Hong Kong and I am looking to buy canon 16-35mm F2.8L ii.
Is it cheaper and safe to buy lens in Hong Kong or better just get a grey set in spore?
Thanks a lot
Hong Kong Camera Gears Shopping Guide 2012

thread moved.

please note that lens dun have international warranty already.

so it will be treated as grey set if you buy from HK.

unless you are lucky... can find old stocks that still have international warranty card inside the packaging.

but still... lens in HK still much cheaper in SG since they dun have tax.

Thanks a lot
It depends. You need to do your own homework, as we have no idea what shop you are going to or what new offers may crop up in Singapore. These things are really quite fluid, sadly.

Just make the purchase that you deem fit, and no regrets. Cheers!

It depends. You need to do your own homework, as we have no idea what shop you are going to or what new offers may crop up in Singapore. These things are really quite fluid, sadly.

Just make the purchase that you deem fit, and no regrets. Cheers!

correct. check the price in SG before you go HK.

and avoid those dodgy shops displaying No Tax signboards... those are official chop shops. Hang ard Mongkok area... like Sim City and some other well knowns shops for better pricing.

if can, pay by cash, cos if u pay by CC, they may charge extra (same practise as SG sadly).

Gotten quite a few lenses from HK when they used to have international warranty. Unfortunately now that they only have local warranty, the atrraction to get from there is less. It can be cheaper though and sometimes significantly so. A few years ago i got a Canon EF 24-105L for ~ 1300 when it was selling for 1700 here, and a EF 16-35L II for ~ 1800 when it was selling for 2400 here. So sometimes it's cheaper by more than just the 7% GST we get charged here.

More recently though, I notice the price differential is less sometimes just 10% less. And, the price you get from shop to shop can vary quite a lot. If you find a few decent shops you can always call ahead to check pricing before you go. I usually visit the shops along Stanley Street since it's near my office: Photo Scientific, Chung Pui, Kinefoto. There is a Tin Cheung there too but that's nice to look see since they have nice displays, but not always the best price. Having said that, I got a Lensbaby there.

Oh, and do try to bargain (within reason, it's not quite like a market at Phuket), and the last weapon is paying by cash which should give you an additional 2-3% discount.