Is it better to enter a photography course or learn photography on your own?

Too difficult to answer. Its like asking me, is it better to go to school or study on my own.

Last edited:
I think is gd to enrol in some courses to check if u r doing things right.

i belive shld learn the basics first (exposure triangle, composition and blahblahblah). after u get ur foundation right, then go and break the rules and find your own style.

is it better to learn Gangnam style from PSY, or just by watching his videos? :think:

is it better to learn Gangnam style from PSY, or just by watching his videos? :think:

I learn it from watching his dance practice.........

[video=youtube;OzowLT8WT0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzowLT8WT0g[/video]

Is it better to enter a photography course or learn photography on your own?

In personal hindsight, best would be to know what kind of photography you want to go into so that can understudy under a pro who understands what you want to learn. I myself tried various types of photography until i found my calling in sports and mass events photography. Got good enough to work for a local publication for a while before i went my own way. In my opinion if a beginner was able to befriend a pro to the extent can get a OJT deal, i would say go for it. More practical then going for course which is usually tailored to the group and definitely faster then learning on your own as well as build up contacts quicker. My own experience, :)

Last edited:
my 2 copper coins.. it depends on your learning style. some people need to for courses while some do some reading. for example, if you have problems using excel, would you google for "how to ..... in excel 2010" or would you go to comat (or any other provider) to enrol for a course? the "how to ...." method will not work for some people but there are tonnes of literature in CS to help.

if you want to learn more about exposure, i recommend perfect exposure by michael freeman...

Depends if you're type A, B or C. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Problem with the Internet nowadays is that there is too much information. So might be better to have someone distill it for you, especially when you do not know where to start.