Is it better for DSLR to have separate digital back & view body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
Was looking at some of the newer medium format digital bodies from the European brands, and just wondering out of the blue why DSLR do not come as such....

Being able to do so would be just great, isn't it?

Was looking at some of the newer medium format digital bodies from the European brands, and just wondering out of the blue why DSLR do not come as such....

Being able to do so would be just great, isn't it?
becos it will increase the cost significantly?... :dunno:

I think it's also because of the size. SLR cameras are considerably more compact compared to those medium/large format cameras.

Leica R9 does this I think.

why medium format SLR use film backs?
cos the can use the same type of film for different formats, eg 6x6 can use 646 or 66. and switch to different type of film etc

for 35mm SLR, it is not a good idea, Rollai ever make a interchangeable back SLR, but it is too costly and unpopular.

so if a DSLR do have a interchangeable digital back, it will become so expensive that just become an collectors' item.

When Kodak first introduced their professional DSLRs, I did checked around for digital backs. I can't remember if it was a Kodak digital back or some other brands, but the price was way off the charts ...... something like $25,000! And please take note that it's USD not SGD.

that was then, now is now. I wouldnt be surprised if Nikon came out with a digital back for the F6 and then price it at 4~5K. Considering that the Leica back was priced at about 9K, but then even banking on the brand name is not going to get many people to part with that kind of money.

that was then, now is now. I wouldnt be surprised if Nikon came out with a digital back for the F6 and then price it at 4~5K. Considering that the Leica back was priced at about 9K, but then even banking on the brand name is not going to get many people to part with that kind of money.

Why not if it's FF? ;p

I've got strong feeling. The price will come down as electronic always improve and better and find cheaper way to save cost. Maybe in the next 10 years :confused: ?

Regards,
Arto.

By that time, there should be stuffs that cost 5k still.
But perhaps another technology? Like 4 sensor overlapping which will merge to give 1600% HDR or 4x In-Chip Noise reduction giving you ISO 100 noise at ISO 3200 in todays standard. :think: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.