Is it an offence to ride bicycles on footpaths/pavements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
Is it an offence to ride bicycles on footpaths/pavements? only those with the requisite knowledge or with some authority eg. lawyers, current or ex-policemen, etc need contribute pls. preferably to quote the relevant section of the law?

yes it is illegal to do so. but usually the cops "close one eye". however, i feel they should allow kids to make use of the pavements, until they pose too much a danger to pedestrians. adults should all cycle on roads though - much faster, less irritating "TING TING!" behind you to make you jump...

yeah, and i hate those that cycles on narrow pavements. always have the urge to push them off on to the road.

Last time you need to know highway code to ride bike safely. Now they go on the pedestrian walkway and are a nuisance to pedestrians. Even at bus stop you need to be careful. I was sitting at the bus stop once waiting for a bus. When the bus came I got up and nearly got knock down by a cyclist who is going quite fast. And at zebra crossing they just zoom across the road expecting to have the right of way.

Sorry for OT. Just want to let off some steam.

Confirmed illegal. Read about this in the papers once. U can always check with Ur neighbourhood RC free legal adviser.

I find motor-bicycles very dangerous on the pavements. Also highly possible that the riders thought they are safer so they ignore the safety of other users on the pavement. Its really bad.

On the other hand, if those motorised bicycles get on roads, they usually forgot they are on the road so start to behave like kings, then they get themselves into more dangerous situations...

Illegal. Police will catch. :devil:

If I remember correctly, any wheels on the road, riders have to wear safety gears, at least a helmet or else its against the law? :think:

yups.. if caught have to pay $20 fine on the spot. :bsmilie:

motor bicycles.. hahah.. i saw with my own eyes.. a traffic police pulling a motor-bicycle over.. haha big bike with red revolving lights then signal that old uncle on motor-bicycle to pull over.. funny sight..

Drudkh said:
If I remember correctly, any wheels on the road, riders have to wear safety gears, at least a helmet or else its against the law? :think:

I might be wrong.. but I don't think helmet is compulsory yet..
rear red lights could be compulsory though

please correct me if i'm wrong

so far, no one has quoted the relevant section? if it is an offence, why is the police not prosecuting? i have not heard anyone being prosecuted by riding on pavements/footpaths.

again, I can't quote, cause I can't remember..

but I think the first offender fine is $20 or $50..

its like safety belts..

police 'can' fine you
but they don't... usually
they just have the option to do so when they want

and i believe if they are going to fine everybody who rides on pavements, people will start demanding for cycle lanes as like some countries...

so its a give and take situation..

they 'can' fine you, but they seldom do, unless you really look reckless on the pavement

(regarding my earlier comment, motorised bike riders have to wear helmets.. compulsory
but according to the traffic police site.. "cyclist SHOULD wear helmets for their safety".. its a moral thing rather..)

think most members are refering to MOTORISED bicycles?
they sure are a pain up the u know where EVERYWHERE.

However, i do think that Cyclist should stick to the pavement. They are a lot more dangerous on the roads. Of cos, be my guest to push the idiot cyclist who zoom around recklessly on pavement onto the road.

But be it pedestrain/jogger/cyclist etc, i think if everyone follow the KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING rule, everything will be just fine...

to clear the air, i am referring to human powered bicycles.

the wearing of helmets has not caught on here. maybe it is our humid climate. in some western countries, cyclists put them on for personal security.

reachme2003 said:
so far, no one has quoted the relevant section? if it is an offence, why is the police not prosecuting? i have not heard anyone being prosecuted by riding on pavements/footpaths.

It is an offence

In a reply to various queries from ST readers in Feb 21st 2003, the SPF replied

WE REFER to the series of letters on cyclists who ride along pavements, endangering pedestrians.

We would like to remind all cyclists that riding on pavements is prohibited. Cyclists found cycling on pavements can be fined $20. Police will not hesitate to take action against cyclists who are careless, negligent, or who cycle in a way which endangers pedestrians.

We would also like to advise cyclists to travel on the left side of the road so as not to obstruct faster-moving vehicles, and to ride in an orderly manner with due regard for the safety of others.

Motorists are urged to look out for cyclists and exercise more caution when overtaking them.

PHILLIP MAH
Assistant Director (Media Relations)
Singapore Police Force

I have no problem with sharing the pavements with cyclists provided that they give priority to pedestrains and they do pose a danger to pedestrians

Unfortunately, there are many occasions when these cyclists cycle recklessly - some at breakneck speeds, and appearing from nowhere, against the flow of traffic - so they seriously endanger the safety of pedestrians. These cyclists also have the cheek and audacity to horn and ring their bells non stop from far away to announce to you to give way to them

I really think the police should crack down on these reckless cyclists

I used to cycle everyday in Australia.
It's mandatory to wear a helmet and cycle on the road.
Since most pple keep to the law, motorists are used to keeping a lookout for us, cyclists. In Singapore, i think alot of motorists never bother much abt cyclists, only find them a bother.

I find cycling on the road a breeze in Aussie, even when goin through a big roundabout. I dunno how cyclists can manage that here in Singapore though, considering driving through a big roundabout is already a hassle as alot motorists here do not give way.

goering said:
It is an offence

In a reply to various queries from ST readers in Feb 21st 2003, the SPF replied

WE REFER to the series of letters on cyclists who ride along pavements, endangering pedestrians.

We would like to remind all cyclists that riding on pavements is prohibited. Cyclists found cycling on pavements can be fined $20. Police will not hesitate to take action against cyclists who are careless, negligent, or who cycle in a way which endangers pedestrians.

We would also like to advise cyclists to travel on the left side of the road so as not to obstruct faster-moving vehicles, and to ride in an orderly manner with due regard for the safety of others.

Motorists are urged to look out for cyclists and exercise more caution when overtaking them.

PHILLIP MAH
Assistant Director (Media Relations)
Singapore Police Force

I have no problem with sharing the pavements with cyclists provided that they give priority to pedestrains and they do pose a danger to pedestrians

Unfortunately, there are many occasions when these cyclists cycle recklessly - some at breakneck speeds, and appearing from nowhere, against the flow of traffic - so they seriously endanger the safety of pedestrians. These cyclists also have the cheek and audacity to horn and ring their bells non stop from far away to announce to you to give way to them

I really think the police should crack down on these reckless cyclists

thank you for appending the reply from SPF.

I have a point to make. those cyclists who rung their bells(not impatiently or non-stop) way in advance may be warning pedestrains in advance that they are coming from behind. so that sufficent time be given to them to remain or change in their path that cyclists will know which 'free' path to take. This is safer than coming quietly from behind and catching pedestrians off-guard. Of course, as a cyclist myself after ringing, i also look out for some form of acknowledgement or change in body language from pedestrians so that they are aware of me coming from behind. there are pedestrains who ignore bell rings and appeared shocked when the cyclists are near them. those totally engrossed are those who used handphones while walking.

My stand is that although the police have ruled that cycling is prohibited on pavements, I really do not mind sharing with cyclists

However, they should not even ring their bells in the first place and slow down to give way to pedestrians. They should give priority to pedestrians - after all, pavements are built for pedestrians and cyclists should be cycling in the roads in the first place. If the pavement is clear, then they can cycle as they like

are you saying that cyclists should walk their bicycles behind the pedestrains until their way is given?

in the absence of cyclists' lane on the road, i think pedestrians and cyclists will have to learn to co-use pavements/footpaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.