is it all right to shoot at chinese funerals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan84

Nov 1, 2003
I don't know about the customs etc..
but i once saw a man shooting during a chinese funeral..

should be ok, as long as the family of the decease dun mind. i do see my uncle shooting at funerals, but not very obvious

quekky said:
should be ok, as long as the family of the decease dun mind. i do see my uncle shooting at funerals, but not very obvious

meaning must go and ask the family of the deceased?? like not very nice right?? or shld we opt for zoom lens? :embrass:

Hi ryan84,

I would like to share with you my experience shooting my grandfather's funeral. First of all, I don't think there's any "pantang" shooting during funeral since none of my elder relatives mentioned anything. I was able to shoot freely even though I was actually involved in the funeral procession that spanned three days.

On the technical side, I just had my Yashica GSN rangefinder and a bagful of ASA400 B/W film that I needed to push one stop sometimes when the light level dropped too low. I didn't use flash and I would imagine that it's very rude and intrusive to use flash in this kind of situation. The barely audible soft shutter click of the rangefinder camera is also appropriate since any noisy mirror slap and whinning motors will definately get you out of business quite soon. My camera get banged around quite a lot and was covered with sweaty deposits and muddy crude after the whole thing, but luckily it was a cheap camera. So if I were using something more expensive, I would imagine that my heart will ache more than it was ! Hope this helps.

e905591s

very common to see people shoot at funeral... but they are normally ask by the family of the deceased to help in a documentation.

I dun think it is approriate to shoot funeral you have no biz being at.

Yeah. i'd feel VERY uncomfortable 'street-shooting' a funeral i happen to pass by...

If u're thick skinned, a zoom lens & discreet positioning will do.
Try not to intrude, even if U know the family.

Was going to ask "Will u like it if someone intrudes and snap during your funeral?" But i think no pt knowing the answer la.. :embrass:

AReality said:
If u're thick skinned, a zoom lens & discreet positioning will do.
Try not to intrude, even if U know the family.

Was going to ask "Will u like it if someone intrudes and snap during your funeral?" But i think no pt knowing the answer la.. :embrass:

I agree... the family are at their saddest moments. Best if you don't intrude.
If it's Osama's funeral, feel free to snap. :D

Hoky said:
I agree... the family are at their saddest moments. Best if you don't intrude.
Be careful ar...
Later they thought u with them, then bring u back to their prison, stril u naked, tie a leash around your neck, & torture u then u know ar... :sweat:

Hoky said:

You sure? His body might be filled with explosives just so he gets to go off with a bang. :bsmilie:

ryan84 said:
I don't know about the customs etc..
but i once saw a man shooting during a chinese funeral..

I think it should be alright as long as you ask for permission. I ever watch on discovery channel where they film the whole funeral process and ever digging out of bones to clear the cemetery.

better ask lah. i think even the news photogs also ask and do it discreetly, like during the nicoll highway collapse. saw the news clips of the funerals. it seems they did it a long way off, unless interviewing the families.

but then.... people pay mahjong in front of the coffin... :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.