Is it against any law to shoot bread shops in action?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sausage

Feb 1, 2002
At home
www.singaporeanimenews.net
Just now I was standing outside a major bread shop in Singapore, at their glass-walled baking area.

I was shooting the bakers going about their business from outside the shop, unobstructively, with a tiny P&S camera.

The bakers asked me to get lost, through hand gestures.

I was wondering, is it against any law to shoot them in action? If they want to be so strict about this, then why not use a concrete wall?

maybe he thought you caught him doing something?

Sausage said:
Just now I was standing outside a major bread shop in Singapore, at their glass-walled baking area.

I was shooting the bakers going about their business from outside the shop, unobstructively, with a tiny P&S camera.

The bakers asked me to get lost, through hand gestures.

I was wondering, is it against any law to shoot them in action? If they want to be so strict about this, then why not use a concrete wall?
Aiyah..no wonder lah...P&S camera. :lovegrin: Next time u shoot him with a DSLR, maybe he might just pose for u :bsmilie:

Some shops do not allow people to use camera but allowing to let you see what are they doing.

alwayschampion said:
Some shops do not allow people to use camera but allowing to let you see what are they doing.

there is nothing they can do to you, legally speaking, if you are shooting from outside their shop or in this case, from outside through the glass. they are sensitive because food hygiene regulations here are strict. thus, not wanting anyone to collect 'evidence', so to speak. there is nothing illegal with respect to what you had done as far as the shop in question is concerned.

if you shoot from afar with a 400 or 500mm lens, with a cir-pol... will he even notice it?

think if they put a glass panel = want u to see, so if they ask u to go, den y bother putting up a glass panel in the 1st place?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
if you shoot from afar with a 400 or 500mm lens, with a cir-pol... will he even notice it?

think if they put a glass panel = want u to see, so if they ask u to go, den y bother putting up a glass panel in the 1st place?
exactly lor... if the bakery section is opened up for public viewing, taking photos doesn't make any difference. if i were you, i would set continuous mode and shoot till buffer is full and walk away.

is he camera shy?

not against the law, period.

Last time I went we went to buy fresh bread from a back alley where the Vietnamese bakery was.
When we got there, they were picking up bread from the floor (the road and driveway of the factory) and putting it on trays.
I wanted to take a photograph, but I didn't have my camera with me.
I went home and ate the bread.

adamadam said:
Last time I went we went to buy fresh bread from a back alley where the Vietnamese bakery was.
When we got there, they were picking up bread from the floor (the road and driveway of the factory) and putting it on trays.
I wanted to take a photograph, but I didn't have my camera with me.
I went home and ate the bread.
:confused: i don't get it.

vince123123 said:

Agree with you on that......in fact I shot a couple of shots before without asking their permission. It depends. I guess the baker must be shy with it. Some people feel uneasy with a camera pointing at them working. i guess they must think that their boss is spying on them........

Pro Image said:
Agree with you on that......in fact I shot a couple of shots before without asking their permission. It depends. I guess the baker must be shy with it. Some people feel uneasy with a camera pointing at them working. i guess they must think that their boss is spying on them........

there is no need to ask permission in the first place in such instance.

ahaha ,,

Shooot First .. Talk later .. :)

I don't think it's against the law.
But I do think you've to respect people's privacy even though they're working in an area where people can see them.
Maybe some people wouldn't mind having their pictures taken while they're working or anything.
Some people don't, as simple as that.
And then there are those who think they can jolly well take photos of anyone as and when they feel like it, and expect everyone of them to be happy about it, even if it isn't against any laws.
Sheeessshhh .....

MyNikon said:
I don't think it's against the law.
But I do think you've to respect people's privacy even though they're working in an area where people can see them.
Maybe some people wouldn't mind having their pictures taken while they're working or anything.
Some people don't, as simple as that.
And then there are those who think they can jolly well take photos of anyone as and when they feel like it, and expect everyone of them to be happy about it, even if it isn't against any laws.
Sheeessshhh .....

Yup i agree. It is not about the law, it is about common courtesy and respecting ones' privacy.

dunno about you guys... but i felt that the 'breadshop' if they decide to go against the norm of previously behind the scene bakery. they should be able to take this type of 'pressure'. maybe its just me...

but there is certainly different occupation that prevents photography even thou its in open space. like manufacturing, if you take a camera into the factory, u will sure get 2 things, 1, kicked out, 2, get sued your pants off if you published the pictures anywhere... like there is this one time, some 'prestigious' school students came to ask me to fabricate a product, then after making it for their project, they insisted that they would like to take pics of our production, we told them straight that we can't as its a trade policy and i dun think their project need any of our company's production procedure pics, their project should only consist of their own work & not inclusive of our work, taking our pics will not score any extra points as nobody would believe they are able to produce these parts.

vince123123 said:
:bsmilie: shoot first talk later if using digital coz if the object dont like or not happy still can delete . shoot first run faster if using flim like me coz cant delete :sweat:

afbug said:
Yup i agree. It is not about the law, it is about common courtesy and respecting ones' privacy.
Don't use glass wall if they treasure privacy.

Hommie said:
Don't use glass wall if they treasure privacy.

It is not about bread talk and its concept of doing business. It is about the chef's/individual's privacy. He might be having a bad day, or doing something delicate and the photog is distracting him, shy or something else.

Privacy also does not only mean "Cannot let ppl see" It can also mean that the individual wants to be photograph or not. The object in question is a person, an individual with personal rights, moods and personality.

Bottomline is: Breadtalk did not say no photography allowed. It is THOSE particular chefs in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.