Is it advisable to bring it to Shanghai?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsquare

Nov 7, 2008
Hi all! I'm going to Shanghai and Suzhou soon, but I'm not sure if it's advisable to bring my D90 to Shanghai. Should I?

TIA! :)

Shanghai is very safe when compared to places like Malaysia and Jakarta

Shanghai and Suzhou soon, but I'm not sure if it's advisable to bring my D90 to Shanghai.
QUOTE]

then dont bring to SH just bring to suz....

Y not?? well, if u are goin there mainly for shopping, then i dun recommend u bring lor..:bsmilie:

haha i'm going to shanghai and suzhou for study trip. assigned to be the photographer.
i'm just worried bt the weather and stuff. haha.

:)

If you're so paranoid about your DSLR that you're worried to take it on trips, you should not have gotten a DSLR.

haha i'm going to shanghai and suzhou for study trip. assigned to be the photographer.
i'm just worried bt the weather and stuff. haha.

Rain is the same, shine is the same.. what's your problem? The topic "winter" will come up here quite soon (again), every year the same questions, every year the same answers because winter has not changed as well as other basics of Physics that lead to condensation. Search for 'cold' or 'winter' and you'll find the answers from last year. For everything else you should be more precise in your question.

Shanghai weather in Oct till Nov is very very nice. Like aircon. Even when cold, shanghai weather seldom dip below 0 degrees. Maybe -5 at the most, for a couple of days in winter.

No, it is not safe at all. Keep the camera at home will be safest.

Serious answers guys? Eitherway i think you should just bring it on the trip. Sides you ARE the assigned photographer right? Unless your going to survive on a PNS throughout the trip, i suggest just bringing the DSLR. Sides Nikon doesnt build their cams like some "Hello Kitty PNS" which wont be able to survive a little rain. ;)

Btw, i was wondering about malaysia though. How do you photographers get around in malaysia? Any worry about your gear and all?

Shanghai might be considered a safe city to visit at all times, you will see "gong ann" everywhere wither patrolling or stationed.

However, been a frequent traveller to Shanghai, I would recommand you to be more careful when you are around "pu xing jie".

There are still syndicated group of people around especially looking for foreigners.

I was walking on the street once and bought something along the street, after receiving the change of RMB 5 in hand and before I am able to stuff it into my pocket, a little girl (age around 5 years old) came and snatch it away.

I saw her running towards 2 adults seated at the side and passing the $$ to them. I just stare in disbelief!! After that she came running towards my direction againm saying "ge ge bu gou hai you ma?" My friend (from Shanghai) shouted at her and she just ran off.

My friend said these people are mostly from Xinjiang, they would hunt for tourist pickpocket them or snatch their valuables. She recommended me to report to the "gong ann" but I just wanna save all the trouble.

Just beware and be alert and you will be fine!!

Cheers and have a nice trip.

Btw, i was wondering about malaysia though. How do you photographers get around in malaysia? Any worry about your gear and all?

In the same way as I get around in any other country, including Singapore: being alert, make yourself familiar with those areas even the locals avoid, low profile, don't show off anything ... plenty of things already described here, can be summarized with "common sense". Sometimes I think there's nothing wrong with all those countries but rather with the perception of those countries in the minds of some people here.

If you're so paranoid about your DSLR that you're worried to take it on trips, you should not have gotten a DSLR.

Everytime i come across one of these threads .. makes me wonder why people buy dslrs only to treat them with mitten gloves ... they are meant to be used

I suppose if DSLR is sold in Shanghai, it should be safe. It shows the camera can stand the environment. If DSLR is not sold in Shanghai, you maybe able to sell your D90 there and make a profit after the assignment. ;)

It is not safe for your reputation if you fail in your assignment with a good camera. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
U wouldn't regret bringing ur DSLR. Shanghai is a safe place. :)

just bring it la, you buy already don't use meh..

Hi all! I'm going to Shanghai and Suzhou soon, but I'm not sure if it's advisable to bring my D90 to Shanghai. Should I?

TIA! :)

Why not? I even bring mine to places like Vietnam and Bangkok.
Shanghai is definitely safer..

i might be travelling simply to vietnam with a cheaper body+lens... there is quite notorious.

but shanghai, i would have no qualms bringing a full setup there.

Woah... Shanghai is a major city, not a slum!! It's definitely safe lah... I bring my full (or almost full) gear whenever I travel anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.