Is it a must to buy a dry box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supercharged

Apr 16, 2008
Dear all..
Is it a must to buy a dry box for the camera (dSLRs) etc..?

dry box or dry cabinet - yes, but it is more for your lens than anything else.

the humidity in singapore is a conducive environment for fungal growth

and fungal growth is bad for lenses

my dry cabinet gg to be delivered today... so excited... ;p

Dear all..
Is it a must to buy a dry box for the camera (dSLRs) etc..?

Is it a must to buy a wine cooler for your wine? No if you are going to drink it very soon. Is it a must to buy a dry box? Yes if you intend to keep your dslr and lens in the long run!

the dry box should comes before your expensive DSLR and lens...
:)

treat a reliable dry cabi as cheap insurance for your valuable equipment.

and jus get the digi one. now v cheap only. dun bother messing around w silicon gel.

treat a reliable dry cabi as cheap insurance for your valuable equipment.

and jus get the digi one. now v cheap only. dun bother messing around w silicon gel.

yupz.. i agree.. used to put my cam and lens in a sealed box with silica.. but i didn't have any thing to measure the RH, so got myself a dry cabinet to save the trouble..

if u buy at carrefour, a 50L costs $158 and u get free delivery.. ;)

It is NOT necessary when you know that you are going to use your camera and lenses everyday. :)

if use 365days consecutively, will not have fungus?

Don't get Dry Box!, Get Dry Cabinet

Cabinet save you all the trouble of changing silica beads and monitoring humidity electricity consumption is very low, don't buy dry box just because it's cheap!

How much ur camera equipment and for a few % u get the dry cabinet to protect it.. u say worth it or not?

Camera equipment is going to be last u for years.. esp the lens.. so do protect them well and they will serve u well for many many years.

If I have to choose I will take the dry box. I have always been very much on the flip-flop fence about dry cabinets. Maybe that is why I have never actually bought one in the last 2 decades. I don't buy more lens then I need (I have 3 lens after selling all others I have no need and only keep one body) thus I am always using my equipment and they tend to follow me and when it is not, it is in my room in my dry box which is loose closed heh..or I just place them about my air-con room. And since I always make it a point to send my lens in for cleaning once every 2 yrs or less... . So between using them and the time I get them serviced, fungus is not a problem with me. Services is someting I feel everyone should do once in a while with their equiment. It is an investment that pays you back in lots and lots of faithful usage in the years to come.

The only time I had a fungus attack with a DX lens (18-70m) was when I use the rubber buld blower and blasted so much air into the back of the lens that it blew the light oil from the gearing parts onto the front element's on the inside of the lens!!!. I let it go for a few weeks since I had no time to sent it in as I just bought the lens...but this light oil started to turn into fungus. I guess spores got caught in the oil and help it get a foot hold on my glass element and it start to spread abit. Any way....got it clean and that's that lah. I hardly get any fungus on my camera or lens and without a dry cabinet. Some have a fear factor about their priceless investment, some just ahve a security blanket mentality about it which is fine, to each their own and some.... well maybe too many horror stories they read but for me, a dry box was all I ever needed and have bought ( and throw) a few over the years and just use silicon and dry cloth to keep moisture at bay at least long enough till the next time I take my gear out again to shoot. Which is every other day or so as it is part of my work at the office.

If you have a tendency to leave your gears untouched for weeks or months or you have numerous lens and bodies that you can't use all at once then I think you really need a cabinet to minimise fungus and mositure that could damages internal parts, seals, LCD screen and their electronic circuitries and micro gears. These days fungus are not your only problem. Look at the bigger picture and you will find alot to worry about or over worry. If it makes you sleep better then check out all the safety precaution you need to buy to keep your equipment in good order.

yupz.. i agree.. used to put my cam and lens in a sealed box with silica.. but i didn't have any thing to measure the RH, so got myself a dry cabinet to save the trouble..

if u buy at carrefour, a 50L costs $158 and u get free delivery.. ;)

How long does the delivery take?
and is there any particular brand and model?
might want to get one too...

dry cabinet can store other impt items as well...
price of cabinet not too expensive until cannot afford compared to your camera.
Less hassle, more peace of mind.
Really up to u man!

Dear dolBy and all the cameramen,
I am keen to buy a Dry Cabinet. Could anyone kindly tell me which brand is reliable and long lasting . Please tell me the price also. I thank you.

Dear dolBy and all the cameramen,
I am keen to buy a Dry Cabinet. Could anyone kindly tell me which brand is reliable and long lasting . Please tell me the price also. I thank you.

Get digicabi will do.

http://www.digihub.com.sg/SubCategoryList.aspx?MainCategoryID=18

The smallest model 30L is going for $107 iirc at Carrefour, else shops like MScolour also carry Digicabi.

Status
Not open for further replies.