Is it a Must? - Dry Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyan

Jan 5, 2005
PR
Hi all,

I am just wondering is it a must to buy those electronic dry cabinet or can I just get an air-tight box and use silica gel for my cam body and lenses?

Does it make a lot of difference? :dunno:

In our country, with relatively high humidity, even if you use your gear regularly, I dare say that you need it.

Together with the tripod, it's very necessary.

Got your DSLR at last? I would strongly recommend a dry cabinet as well. Bite the bullet and save a hundred bux for it. In the meantime use tupperware with silica gel. But get the dry cabinet once u can.

With SG's humidity, its preferred to have a dry cabinet for storage. I using a 30L one at the moment. Protection and prevention is always better than cure aftermath.. another kiasu term :)

just checked the humidity with the weather station online.. it is 94%!!
better get your dry box.

kevyan said:
Hi all,

I am just wondering is it a must to buy those electronic dry cabinet or can I just get an air-tight box and use silica gel for my cam body and lenses?

Does it make a lot of difference? :dunno:
YES! Silica Gel won't last very long if you open and close the airtight box every now and then. After that you will need to heat up the gel to dry it (not very healthy). Secondly, silica-gel can be quite dusty after a while... which is not very good for the DSLR image sensor.

Since you have already spent some money on a decent camera, paying another 10-20% more for a dry cabinet would be like buying insurance. Especially in SG's environment, it is a must. My advice is to get one with enough room in case you want to upgrade. You definitly don't want to stuck with one which you can only fit your existing gear and when you buy more gear, you will need to buy another.

Lenscapes said:
just checked the humidity with the weather station online.. it is 94%!!
better get your dry box.
Heavy rain today (but where is the rain??? :bsmilie: )! Humidity reported 100%.... :bigeyes:

Buy electronic drycab before its too late.....

Regards,
Arto.

In the past I tried to save by using air tight box with silica gel. I thought I can save some money. Guess what? my equipment turned mouldy and the service cost more than the price of the dry cab. Now I have learned my lesson. Listen to all the comments posted here. Go and get one. Don't be penny wise pound foolish and more to lose down the road.

A dry cabinet can last you for years (mine did!)...... while offering you peace of mind in terms of protecting your camera gears from the harsh elements (essentially humidity & dust). Work your sums and you'll realise it cost you only peanuts per day! ;)

The cost of the dry cabinet is a pittance compared with the cost of your gear. Saving the 100-300 is really not worth the hassle of mould and repair. On occasion mould and fungus also leaves permanent marks on glass elements even after being cleaned. Get the dry cabinet, it's dumb not to.

Hi all,

thanks for all the posting.... pls keep it coming... I am trying to convince my wife that I should get a Dry Cabinet asap....

The area I am staying always rain and very cooling... I think it's because of the moisture in the air..... shiok... but worried for my gears.....

kevyan said:
Hi all,

thanks for all the posting.... pls keep it coming... I am trying to convince my wife that I should get a Dry Cabinet asap....

The area I am staying always rain and very cooling... I think it's because of the moisture in the air..... shiok... but worried for my gears.....
See my post on recycling Silica Gel.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=1790393#post1790393

kevyan said:
Hi all,

Just buy the dry cabinet, it's convenient and affordable. U don't have to worry abt replacing or recycling silica gel ...

A small dry cabinet is less than a $100, go for it! :)

kevyan said:
Hi all,

How much have you spent on your gear now?
Should spend another 10% of that on Dry Cabinet.
Will you buy new camera and lenses for the next five years? almost certainly.
But you will not need to buy another dry cabinet for the next 10 years.

If you sent 2 or 3 lenses for cleaning, it will cost you a new 60L dry cabinet, why don't buy now?

Forget about using or recycling silica gel, it is a waste of time, in long run, dry cabinet save you lots of headache.

Ng L.T. said:
Can get Digi-Cabi 30L for $98 @ AP or M.S..save all the troubles!
so it is run by electrical? on for 24hrx7days? :embrass:

me using a compact digicam so also need one too?

yhw22 said:
so it is run by electrical? on for 24hrx7days? :embrass:

me using a compact digicam so also need one too?

Yes. electrical, 24 x 7 and power consumption about 5w. Not sure about DC needing it but my wife just dump her DC into my electrical cabinet for safety ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.