Is it a good time to buy an old (2nd/3rd hand) DSLR?

I am planning just to get a 24-70 2.8 and a body , thats all. I believe it wont be much hurt for my back

You should try renting a 1DX or D4 with a 24-70/2.8 lens, or 5D3 or D800/D810 with a grip and 24-70/2.8 lens, try that for a day and see if you are comfortable with the weight. :)

I have a touch on D4 with 50mm and I really feel it is no joke. But the D810 or the 5D2 without grip, it still fine with me as I hand hold it for the most of the time during my travel.

Thanks for the reminder to rent again before buying

Hi all,

I have been renting DSLR for years (for hobbies), and now I decided to buy myself a DSLR. I wanted to get a pro body, but due to budget problem, I only can get a 2nd hand one.

I am looking at Canon 5DIII / 1DX or Nikon D700,D800,D810,D4. My doubt is if I got one of these( esp 5DIII and D700), will it last for the next couple of years? Will the service centres will still service these models?

So is it advisable to get a later model?

I don't want to spend a few thousand bucks and "touch wood"; the camera broke down and it cannot be fixed.

I hope someone here will enlighten me.

Thanks

Regards

READING this whole thread makes me think your just wasting time.... no offence. :)

Why would you be CONSTANTLY renting a DSLR for years and considering event getting a PRO body ??

READING this whole thread makes me think your just wasting time.... no offence. :)

Why would you be CONSTANTLY renting a DSLR for years and considering event getting a PRO body ??

There are many reasons out there why i cant buy myself a DSLR and only can rent once or twice a year. one of the reasons is that I am student then, no money

There are many reasons out there why i cant buy myself a DSLR and only can rent once or twice a year. one of the reasons is that I am student then, no money

Here is a tips for you.

instead of renting a DSLR for a short term usage, many people opt to buy a camera, and sell it off after the project, trip is over, or no longer needed. it is so much cheaper than renting it.

there is no long term commitment, and camera to upkeep.

just do your math you will understand better.

Hey Erika,

I'm an average guy looking to get a new camera. While searching the forums for a D700 I read your thread and couldn't help but relate. I was a student once, madly in love with photography, but like you didn't have a budget for a camera.

At that point of time, digital cameras still used floppy disks ^.^

Burning through heaps of film, I realised that photography was more than the gear you use. And I agree with the folk in this forum that the joy you get from the click of a shutter can't be expressed in dollars. Let me tell you why at this age and time I am looking for a d700.

Entry levels in photography are lowering at a really fast pace, and in all the rush, a lot of people tend to miss out on the beauty of how photography got to where it is today. In the past, cameras were built to last, were aesthetically designed, and had the spirit of photography etched at the very heart of the camera. And for that reason, people became attached to their beloved camera.

For me, I have become so attached to the Nikon line-up that makes it very hard to change systems. And having gone through a lot of actuations on a d70, it still is the best I've ever had. Throughout the years, I've gone through many frustrations, excitement, joy, and wonder with the camera, it came to a point that I connected with the camera. You can say there is history. Hold it up to your eyes, and flashbacks of memorable events rush through your mind in mixed emotions. Then you think to yourself, "Hey, I remember when I took her beautiful smile it made me feel great!"
It's history, it happened man.

Forget about Mpxls; forget about technology for a sec. Find out which camera connects to you more. And once you do that, you will make peace with your purchase. Doesn't have to be new, it just has to feel right by you.

All the best!

Wiwin

Hi all,

I have been renting DSLR for years (for hobbies), and now I decided to buy myself a DSLR. I wanted to get a pro body, but due to budget problem, I only can get a 2nd hand one.

I am looking at Canon 5DIII / 1DX or Nikon D700,D800,D810,D4. My doubt is if I got one of these( esp 5DIII and D700), will it last for the next couple of years? Will the service centres will still service these models?

So is it advisable to get a later model?

I don't want to spend a few thousand bucks and "touch wood"; the camera broke down and it cannot be fixed.

I hope someone here will enlighten me.

Thanks

Regards

Hey Erika,

I'm an average guy looking to get a new camera. While searching the forums for a D700 I read your thread and couldn't help but relate. I was a student once, madly in love with photography, but like you didn't have a budget for a camera.

At that point of time, digital cameras still used floppy disks ^.^

Burning through heaps of film, I realised that photography was more than the gear you use. And I agree with the folk in this forum that the joy you get from the click of a shutter can't be expressed in dollars. Let me tell you why at this age and time I am looking for a d700.

Entry levels in photography are lowering at a really fast pace, and in all the rush, a lot of people tend to miss out on the beauty of how photography got to where it is today. In the past, cameras were built to last, were aesthetically designed, and had the spirit of photography etched at the very heart of the camera. And for that reason, people became attached to their beloved camera.

For me, I have become so attached to the Nikon line-up that makes it very hard to change systems. And having gone through a lot of actuations on a d70, it still is the best I've ever had. Throughout the years, I've gone through many frustrations, excitement, joy, and wonder with the camera, it came to a point that I connected with the camera. You can say there is history. Hold it up to your eyes, and flashbacks of memorable events rush through your mind in mixed emotions. Then you think to yourself, "Hey, I remember when I took her beautiful smile it made me feel great!"
It's history, it happened man.

Forget about Mpxls; forget about technology for a sec. Find out which camera connects to you more. And once you do that, you will make peace with your purchase. Doesn't have to be new, it just has to feel right by you.

All the best!

Wiwin

Thank you Wiwin for your reply.

You are right, everything is down to our heart. Get what I have planned to buy is the most important.

Glad to hear!

Wiwin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erika T, pro bodies will probably last for a couple of years, but the itch to get the most advanced bodies often get the better of a photographer.

If your concern is durability, perhaps you should consider buying those that still have some warranty left. Or buy from reputable used equipment dealers and see if they are willing to provide warranty for up to 3 months. If this is a major concern, then best is to buy new.

By being more careful, especially avoiding moisture and water, most cameras are pretty durable although less than the old SLRs because of the electronics.

If I were you, I would set my budget, then see what's available that suits you best. We all have dream cameras, but most are out of our reach, even used, so we go for the next best.

Erika T, pro bodies will probably last for a couple of years, but the itch to get the most advanced bodies often get the better of a photographer.

If your concern is durability, perhaps you should consider buying those that still have some warranty left. Or buy from reputable used equipment dealers and see if they are willing to provide warranty for up to 3 months. If this is a major concern, then best is to buy new.

By being more careful, especially avoiding moisture and water, most cameras are pretty durable although less than the old SLRs because of the electronics.

If I were you, I would set my budget, then see what's available that suits you best. We all have dream cameras, but most are out of our reach, even used, so we go for the next best.

Yea, so at this moment I am trying to convince myself to get the model that suit my budget well. By the way, do you know any reputable used equipment dealers that give good price for the used models?

Regards

Yea, so at this moment I am trying to convince myself to get the model that suit my budget well. By the way, do you know any reputable used equipment dealers that give good price for the used models?

Regards

Here in B&S :)

Try the established dealers like P&G, Camera Workshop, Ben Photo and Black Market Cameras, all at Peninsula Shopping Centre. They may not be the cheapest but they are reliable. New cameras from established dealers like Cathay Photo (Peninsula Plaza), Click and TK Photo at Funan.

do you need what the D810 has and D800/D800E do not have? if yes, does this justify the extra $1000 from YOUR pocket?
Main thing for anyone to start to use a dslr/mirrorless, are they willing to spend money in future for repair/accessories/new technology in new product that may come anytime.
Who knows you need to get a filter for your lens(uv/ND/Color)...
Must buy tripod to take night shots like landscape or to take group photos of yourself with remote trigger(not included)
Need to use flash in dim environment.

The list goes on....
Although the camera/lenses don't spoil/breakdown that easily but accidents to happen. Ppl knock into you and lose your lens hood when you go buy a new lens hood it cost $50(pro lens).

The things we don't buy everyday we will feel a pinch on our pockets when it happens. Hope anyone who has yet started taking up photography can consider this before stepping into it.

I am planning to get a D800/D800E. But will it be worth the money if I spend 1K more to get the D810?

From your initial post, you seem to have listed only full frame camera. Recent crop camera have been doing a splendid job as well. **Btw, crop camera lenses are still cheaper than it's full frame equivalent, but will be a pain when you eventually want to go FF. That said, not everyone who owns camera will buy a FF eventually.

If you have the budget to feed the desire for newer bodies, then just go with the heart.
If not, do some pro/cons comparison based on what you 'need' against the specs of the camera you have listed. Surely you will get an answer quite easily. Just that, it can be abit hard to convince the heart otherwise to accept something without 'wants'.

**Also, no one can tell you if ABC is worth $1000 more over XYZ. Because the values/needs/wants/desire for each person is different. It may be much more than $1000 or lesser than $100 to some. (E.g. Telling a landscape photographer that a new camera with superior AI tracking module for sports is definitely worth an additional $1000)

Last edited: