is it a bad decission? D90 to LX3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1808

Nov 22, 2008
West
Hi all,

I am in big headache now....I need advice...Please...

I own a D90 for a year plus till now. I love photoshooting, more into Macro but I am not a good DSLR user...I go places shooting Macro, joint basic photoshooting lesson etc. and I still faced difficulty using a DSLR camera...It is very complicated....secondly DSLR camera is very heavy & big..nearly half a year I didnt touch it or go for photoshooting..

I still love & interested in photoshooting, I relaised that I prefer to have a compact digital camera which is small, light, can carry around easliy and can perform similar photoshooting like a DSLR camera. I am not sure is a compact camera much more easy to understanding comparing to a DSLR camera?

I am thinking of selling my D90 and get a LX3 which is small, light easy to bring along for street shooting, travels and also possible to perform macro shooting, attached filters, flash etc... I dont know, is it a bad decission to sell away D90 and get LX3.....

Seem like most of you upgrade from compact digital camera to a DSLR and is so...I am downgrading it.....

Last edited:
If you can afford, have both.

You can still sell either one after living with them for a while.

for street and macro its alot easier to do with LX3 and you can carry lx3 everyday .. take note 1 day when you are serious into photography , u ll want to go back for Dslr ..

i sold my lx3 and got dslr .. now i miss lx3 coz dslr i cant carry everyday .. but i learn alot more with dslr .. so if hav cash , hav both ;p

My condition is similar like yours..
I also own D90, and planning to sell it and get high-end compact like LX3, canon s90, etc
I guess i just got bored with dslr weight and looking for lighter camera and since recently i pickup rangefinder which is lighter, the desire to change is more :bsmilie:
still haven't realised though..

If you havent collected much of dslr lens, i think it's not bad decision at all. D90 is a fine camera and so does LX3..it boils down to which one is more convenient and practical to you

I am a D90 user.

but I bring a cheap Compact Cam everyday.

If you find using the D90 too complicated and it affects your photos, better use a Point and Shoot (like the LX3)

At the end of the day, if your happy with the photos, it doesn't matter which camera took it.

Hv u consider the inbetween? m4/3?

I was once like u. I have 40D, 30D..but prefer my G10 more. But was not totally happy with g10 due to the af speed and low light capability. But note DLSR, indoor shots is still far superior than compact. And the AF speed is better for DSLR.

Now since there's a break thru like the m4/3..I m into that. It's small, it's able to perform good indoor shots with its 20mm1.7(w/o flash), the sensor bigger than the comapct at least 10X and most important , not as noisy as compact when above iso400.... The AF speed although cannot fight with mid range dslr. I can still shoot kids playing (GF1)

Oly or Panny...

Last edited:
I bought a D90 last year and only manage to use it a few times when I travel overseas. When in town, i cant bring myself to carry it around. Too bulky and heavy. So I sold it a bought GF1. I think GF1 is a good compromise between Dslr and point and shoot cam. The pictures taken with GF1 is great and with the 20mm pencake, you can shoot everywhere (almost) without flash!

since i got my lx3, i seldom bring out my d40 already.

My uncle has a D40, but recently he bought a canon G11, he has been using the G11 more often than the D40, leaving it at home.

I can understand the weight of the D90, though compared to the D40 it is a lighter camera, he has been eyeing my 500D becos of the light weight, and I carry it everywhere I go even though I'm on a wheelchair. sometimes have to juggle with 2 bags - camera bag, and my everyday messeger bag for notebook and books/notes.

In my opinion, keep the D90 for very special occasions, and use the LX3 for your everyday jaunts.

hmm, not really.

slr are so heavy and bulky...

that's why rangefinders are so popular.

not surprised at your choice

:)

No. what your going through is like people in the past going from Medium format to 35mm...
It feels that DSLR is killing the joy for you.

I would ask you to get a Leica M8 or RD1 but since you like Macro.
Ricoh GR3 might be a better bet.
I will rank some that I feel is good for you at various price points.
LX3, Ricoh GR3 $980,Leica Dlux4, Sigma DP2 $1.2K, EP2 (1.6k) , Leica X1 3k
In terms of Image quality Leica can go beyong D90.
Sigma might be a good compromise as its sensor is like D90 so the amount of out of focus is greater.

Most photographers have more than one camera.. for different kind of work. Keep the D90. you might like it when you interest change

Each have their own prefs. I own both the LX3 and a 5D so it's gd if can have both. The compact for everyday carry and shoot while the DSLR for planned photoshoots.

+1 for the GF 1 option. Got the GF 1 with 20mm to bring around daily and take food pics. Its really full featured and good enough for more applications. Dont miss my dslr. If you are into macro, there is the 45mm leica for m 4/3.

Like someone said here, have both if you can.

I am a D200 user. With grip and lenses...... it's not easy to be mobile.

Got myself a LX3. VERY good PnS cam. Not your ususal PnS cam.

Image quality wise, you will still go back to your D90. I am not saying that LX3 image is poor but there is a difference between the 2.

Think of it this way. LX3 is your backup cam. No regrets.

You have to lower your expectation if you choose to downgrade to LX-3

PnS is still a PnS no matter what and it will lose out in term of noise handling, AF speed, IQ

yes.

but if it brings back the fun of shooting, why not?

i totally don't use my SLR for leisure as it's a tank...

and fit it with a small light prime.

everything is so fun again.

but, there's no hard and fast about these things.

:)

it's just preferences.

go for 4/3 or m4/3 if u want some compactness and good quality images

Hi all,

I am in big headache now....I need advice...Please...

I own a D90 for a year plus till now. I love photoshooting, more into Macro but I am not a good DSLR user...I go places shooting Macro, joint basic photoshooting lesson etc. and I still faced difficulty using a DSLR camera...It is very complicated....secondly DSLR camera is very heavy & big..nearly half a year I didnt touch it or go for photoshooting..

I still love & interested in photoshooting, I relaised that I prefer to have a compact digital camera which is small, light, can carry around easliy and can perform similar photoshooting like a DSLR camera. I am not sure is a compact camera much more easy to understanding comparing to a DSLR camera?

I am thinking of selling my D90 and get a LX3 which is small, light easy to bring along for street shooting, travels and also possible to perform macro shooting, attached filters, flash etc... I dont know, is it a bad decission to sell away D90 and get LX3.....

Seem like most of you upgrade from compact digital camera to a DSLR and is so...I am downgrading it.....

The D90 is a very good DSLR. LX3 is nowhere close and you will be disappointed with the results. You should learn more about your own camera and understand how to use it properly or you will be forever eyeing on other equipment. Look at other photos more often and you will see how it is different from yours. Then learn about exposure, aperture and shutter speeds. Learn how to get the photo you wanted.

Friends,

This is an interesting post to me as I am owning a LX3 now and looking to jump into DSLR. I know that Dslr are big and bulky and I may find it a chore to carry around. However I know I can learn a lot and do a lot with dslr with its range of lenses and functions. My goal is to take better pictures which I am somewhat limited by the zoom capability of LX3. Overall LX3is a great camera in all honesty but it cannot match the AF and shoot to shoot speed of dslr. I have looked at m43 but I am not sure if the speed is there. If GF1 has 1080p video I will reconsider again. GH1 is too expensive if compared to D90, 500d etc. I will probably still go and buy a Dslr eventually and see how it goes. If that dslr remains in the dry box every weekend then I think it time for me to sell it off.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.