is it a bad decission? D90 to LX3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the best camera is the one with you :p

If you have the budget, get both. If not, read up on reviews and looks at outputs from LX3 to see if you can accept the quality. m4/3 cameras are a good compromise and that's what I chose.

Personally, I moved from Nikon D300 -> Canon 5D -> GX-200 -> GF1. I don't care about fantastic IQ if I cannot bring the camera with me everyday. You can have a 5DmkII or D3s with the best lenses but if they are gonna be lying in the dry cabinet most of the time, then they are no better than your camera phone.

....i am using the d90...usually with 85mmdxmicro lens for nature-shootings or 35mmdx for landscape photography.
...understand the bulkiness, but with the 35mm lens, the combi weighs alot less and it's great for walk-around shootings...even on travels. gf1 comes in handy for quick candid shots and casual outings...ok to have both....

sample shots taken with d90 (click thumbnails to view large):

If you have the budget, get both. If not, read up on reviews and looks at outputs from LX3 to see if you can accept the quality. m4/3 cameras are a good compromise and that's what I chose.

Personally, I moved from Nikon D300 -> Canon 5D -> GX-200 -> GF1. I don't care about fantastic IQ if I cannot bring the camera with me everyday. You can have a 5DmkII or D3s with the best lenses but if they are gonna be lying in the dry cabinet most of the time, then they are no better than your camera phone.

I agreed...Since GF1, I will rent DSLR equipment if I were to shoot special stuff like events. I don't buy things to keep in dry box:)

Dump the D90 go LX3

Start your training from LX3... The day you find that the LX3 can take the photos you need.. then you can consider going back to DSLR

But agree with all who says that if can have both

Good Luck

Hi all,

I am in big headache now....I need advice...Please...

I own a D90 for a year plus till now. I love photoshooting, more into Macro but I am not a good DSLR user...I go places shooting Macro, joint basic photoshooting lesson etc. and I still faced difficulty using a DSLR camera...It is very complicated....secondly DSLR camera is very heavy & big..nearly half a year I didnt touch it or go for photoshooting..

I still love & interested in photoshooting, I relaised that I prefer to have a compact digital camera which is small, light, can carry around easliy and can perform similar photoshooting like a DSLR camera. I am not sure is a compact camera much more easy to understanding comparing to a DSLR camera?

I am thinking of selling my D90 and get a LX3 which is small, light easy to bring along for street shooting, travels and also possible to perform macro shooting, attached filters, flash etc... I dont know, is it a bad decission to sell away D90 and get LX3.....

Seem like most of you upgrade from compact digital camera to a DSLR and is so...I am downgrading it.....
i think if your interest is shooting macro, LX3 > D90

check out the macro shots on the LX3 :
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476419
http://s11.zetaboards.com/Alphamount_Singapore/topic/7099768/1/

I sold my D90 and I am now using GRDIII. I also have a LX3 I used for my honeymoon.

I have no regrets. compact cameras go to places D90 cannot reach. you will find u have more pictures.

bro... there is pro n con using Lx3...If u like everythin sharp sharp go for Lx3... For macro I can advice u as I am also using Lx3 with raynox msn 202. Only problem I face is tat the subject cant be bigger than a 50cents coin... Also its very near to the subject. If u can live with tat than u are good to go...:)

Hi all,

Seem like most of you upgrade from compact digital camera to a DSLR and is so...I am downgrading it.....

Shouldn't think of it as a downgrade. Different tools for different people and purpose. Photography is a hobby to be enjoyed. A camera is a photographic tool, not a my-arm-muscle-and-skill-better-than-yours kind of ego-centric tool.

I have a LX3. It is the only digital camera that I care to own or use. Like some had mentioned, a EP2 might also be another good choice.

I am in big headache now....I need advice...Please...

If I were you, I wouldn't sell the D90. It's a good camera for its intent and purposes - you'll need it someday! But for today, tomorrow and the day after, you'd rather use a LX3!
Have pmed you. Cheers.

Go for ur guts feeling. Everything boils down to ur needs and what sort of photo you usually take. Ether DSLR or PnS got their plus and minus. Like most Bros or Sis comment here, if can effort, keep ur DSLR and buy Lx3. U never know when u be going back to DSLR. Buying ... Selling and then buy back again is a waste of $$. do consider carefully.

Hi All,

THANKS for every bros here spent your precious time!

After reading thru all the replies, I will still go for LX3! and keep my D90 too. Familar using the LX3 first, then decide if just only the LX3 enough for my aspectation then decide to sell off the D90 or not. :D

Now, comes to buying a LX3. Can bros help to let me know beside getting a LX3 what are the "must" require equipments i need for shooting macro?

The micro four thirds : olympus e-p1, e-p2 n panasonic gf1 are small cameras that produces slr quality images. I have printed 30 by 40 inches enlargements from the e-p1 n e-p2 n they look great. I would think that micro four thirds is the way to go if u want slr quality without the weight n bulk of dslrs. At this moment, compact pns cameras have not achieved dslr quality but the micro four thirds have.

Hi All,

THANKS for every bros here spent your precious time!

After reading thru all the replies, I will still go for LX3! and keep my D90 too. Familar using the LX3 first, then decide if just only the LX3 enough for my aspectation then decide to sell off the D90 or not. :D

Now, comes to buying a LX3. Can bros help to let me know beside getting a LX3 what are the "must" require equipments i need for shooting macro?

If i shoot macro a lot on a PnS, i'll get a Raynox. Else, the standard wide conversion lens for me! :)

N the micro four thirds can do amazing macro shots! Type of lenses that r useable on it are almost boundless with adapters of all sorts.

The micro four thirds : olympus e-p1, e-p2 n panasonic gf1 are small cameras that produces slr quality images. I have printed 30 by 40 inches enlargements from the e-p1 n e-p2 n they look great. I would think that micro four thirds is the way to go if u want slr quality without the weight n bulk of dslrs. At this moment, compact pns cameras have not achieved dslr quality but the micro four thirds have.

Hi Chua beng,

M4/3 types cameras is much more expensive then a LX3...but thanks for your suggestion :D

I have sold off my D90 and got a Leica D-Lux 4 the LX3 equal except for perhaps some firmware differences.

I am shooting a lot more especially photographing watches, toy models and slinging it around me on the streets and to gatherings.

however I do miss my D90...or a dslr for the matter...and will get another again(probably a D300s) for next trip abroad...the quality of shots on my last trip to Europe with a D90 and most of the time 18-200mm...I believe cant be beaten by my D-Lux 4...and I wouldnt shoot with the D-Lux 4 in rain/hail/snow.

shots in Rosslyn Chapel in Edinburgh...Notre Dame in Paris...Duomo in Florence...Patheon in Rome...were just wonderful even for a novice dslr user like me juz playing with P,A,S all at the same time :}

Last edited:
You dont have to sell off the D90 now.
Just get a smaller PnS to carry daily around for any impromtu shooting.
Then use the D90 as and when you want.
Many photographers whether pro or not, keep more than one camera.

Hi foxwagon,

Yup~ this will be my final decission~

Get LX3, keep the D90 at the meant time.

Cheers!

Hi,

I own a D90 myself, like you slightly more than a year. I too find myself casting glances at Lx3, S90, Dlux4...

However it is only to complement my D90, to carry around everyday (and yes I will have it with me every day!) To me the D90 is still the main workhorse, what I will bring for occasions, parties, holidays, etc.

I'm just wondering - if you find D90 too complicated, surely you will also find LX3 complicated as well? Unless you intend to put it at auto settings all the time - but you can do that for DSLR too? Apart from that it is the lens (changing, variety, quality, etc) that you need to consider but again a few basic DSLR lens will serve you much better than a single PnS lens.

btw where will you be buying the LX3? Can rope me in if there's quantity discount!

Status
Not open for further replies.