Is IS S2 worth the dollar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swordwindsg

Nov 20, 2005
hi to all Canon-fanatics...i find it quite strange tt almost 90% of the threads here concern on Canon DSLR matters...no doubt Canon is a leading brand in these...but wad abt it's compact series? while other photography forums R hot on debates on them (mainly on the S2, A610/20 and S80), it's rather quiet here...dun anyone invest in them here??

i'm currently considering to get my first serious camera soon and hv short listed the following,

- Canon IS S2
- Panasonic FZ 5
- FujiFilm S5600

FZ 5 is know for it's effective OIS, compactness/lightness, sharpness of pics and leica-designed 12x optical zoom. while the S5600 is known of its capability of high ISO up to 1600, "fujifilm" quality pics and affordability. As fo the S2, not doubt it's of better quality than the only 2 competitors here (i reali like pics produced by Canon cams quite frankly!), it cost $200+ more and much bigger and heavier (at least comparing wif the FZ 5)! Further more, comparing wif the FZ 5, there seems to be no major differences in functions too (almost same amt of noise at high ISO also)..and frm wad i heard, Canon cams R simply over-priced only due to it's reputation it has built over the years. :think: and at tt price (currently shops sellg brand new at $840), if including other fanciful accessories, it can easily pass the 4 digit mark, so wun it be beta off investg in the DSLR like the EOS 350D or Nikon D50 (sub $1500 range)? but of cos i'm aware it'll be a different league after all when comparing the S2 to DSLRs, but this's juz to illustrate the high cost of the S2...and i'm no where near of preparing to get myself a DSLR, yet. :sweat:

hence, can any S2 users here give sm feedback to justify the price and size differences?? Million thks in advance... :lovegrin:

Swordwindsg said:
hi to all Canon-fanatics...i find it quite strange tt almost 90% of the threads here concern on Canon DSLR matters...no doubt Canon is a leading brand in these...but wad abt it's compact series? while other photography forums R hot on debates on them (mainly on the S2, A610/20 and S80), it's rather quiet here...dun anyone invest in them here??

i'm currently considering to get my first serious camera soon and hv short listed the following,

- Canon IS S2
- Panasonic FZ 5
- FujiFilm S5600

FZ 5 is know for it's effective OIS, compactness/lightness, sharpness of pics and leica-designed 12x optical zoom. while the S5600 is known of its capability of high ISO up to 1600, "fujifilm" quality pics and affordability. As fo the S2, not doubt it's of better quality than the only 2 competitors here (i reali like pics produced by Canon cams quite frankly!), it cost $200+ more and much bigger and heavier (at least comparing wif the FZ 5)! Further more, comparing wif the FZ 5, there seems to be no major differences in functions too (almost same amt of noise at high ISO also)..and frm wad i heard, Canon cams R simply over-priced only due to it's reputation it has built over the years. :think: and at tt price (currently shops sellg brand new at $840), if including other fanciful accessories, it can easily pass the 4 digit mark, so wun it be beta off investg in the DSLR like the EOS 350D or Nikon D50 (sub $1500 range)? but of cos i'm aware it'll be a different league after all when comparing the S2 to DSLRs, but this's juz to illustrate the high cost of the S2...and i'm no where near of preparing to get myself a DSLR, yet. :sweat:

hence, can any S2 users here give sm feedback to justify the price and size differences?? Million thks in advance... :lovegrin:

~I try this two cam in a camera shop (S2 IS & FZ5).
~For S2 IS the anti shake is much better than the O.I.S in FZ5.
~Both function & pixels is about the same.
~I feel that S2 IS is more solid than FZ5 when I am holding it.
~If you got $$ go for S2 IS.
~If only got $ FZ5 is also a good cam to learn and play around.
~For FujiFilm S5600 I had no exp on that...sorry can't help on this...:embrass:

All the best for your purchase...:)

Haha I wouldn't describe canon cameras as over-priced until you compare them with Sony's offerings. Ok so they aren't the cheapest in the market, but they certainly live up to the hype and reputation most of the time.

With regard to cost, buying an S2 with accessories is still cheaper than buying an SLR by several hundred quid (And the 350D isn't part of the sub $1500 market). So far I've heard pretty good comments about the S2 by users... doubt you'll regret getting one as well.

thks for the advise bro goldenstar and solarii...anyway, due to budget constrain, i've gone for the FZ5 instead...juz gotten it today...excited excited... :D

Swordwindsg said:

- Canon IS S2
- Panasonic FZ 5
- FujiFilm S5600

Bought the S2 when it first came out in June 05 on the 2nd day of its launch. The main reason I bought the cam was bec it was the only one with a zoom feature in movie mode and I liked the anti-shake function as well.

Till today, I am enjoying the cam and have bought a slave flash to compliment it. I am still waiting for the adaptor stock to arrive at MS Color as I have reserved since the day it was launched but until today, have not been able to try it out.

Overall, I love the way it feels and its quiet zoom.

Buy and you will not regret but only if you have the $$.

thks bro...i hv no doubt in its performance...but juz dun think it suffice to convince me to fork out additional of $180 as compared to a FZ5...so standing at the position of a poor student, i hv no choice but to take the latter yesterday... :p

I bought the S2 IS a week after its launch in June.

Been using it extensivly and am very pleased with its versatility and quality in terms of picture and built.

Went with me for two holiday trips too.

I have since added on accessories like Canon adaptor, filter lenses, tele lens, micaro lens, slave flash, etc.

Swordwindsg said:
thks bro...i hv no doubt in its performance...but juz dun think it suffice to convince me to fork out additional of $180 as compared to a FZ5...so standing at the position of a poor student, i hv no choice but to take the latter yesterday... :p

You actually pay $180 to get much better quality videos as compared to the rest. On top of it, you get Super Macro (0cm) which others dun offer (i might be wrong). Anyway, I've bought a S2 in Jul 05 this year but sold it off just a mth back to fund for a DSLR.

I'd say I've never regret buying the S2. The best thing is the camera only depreciate $90 from the time i buy it to the time I sell it (equ to $15/mth). Good resale VALUE!

heehee...agree wif u bros...recently saw a lobang on S2 and din wait to consider! so now i'm a proud owner of the S2!! passed the FZ5 to a fren liao... :)

Swordwindsg said:
heehee...agree wif u bros...recently saw a lobang on S2 and din wait to consider! so now i'm a proud owner of the S2!! passed the FZ5 to a fren liao... :)

Wow, that was fast. Enjoy your cam

The S2 is worth every dollar but the lens cap is worthless...

felixcat8888 said:
That cap is a lousy design but the adv is that when you power up the cam without removingit, it just drops off.

:bsmilie: thanks for the joke!

For a while I almost wanted to ditch the camera for the Sony-H1.

See, Sony-H1 cost 720-750 which includes:
Batteries and the charger
512 Memory Stick
Lens adapter and hood.

The S2 cost 830-850 but it doesn't include the things Sony has. So once you add in the rest, it can come up to quite a bit. About 200 bucks more depending on what you want.

Overall, I think S2 is the better camera but whether or not it's worth the money depends on whether you want the other things that come with it such as intervalometer, slightly better IS, better movie and the ability to squeeze off photo shots while shooting videos. I have to admit that H1 gives better value for money, but we haven't seen how both last over time. My Canon S45 still working like a charm, only the battery giving a little problem as all Li-ion batts do.

And the lens cap thing, quite a small problem really, in fact, do find it convenient that it drops off when I switch the cam on. Better than spoiling the mechanism with a cap that won't budge!

erm...seriously, i dun see tt as a joke leh bro michhy...tt reali shows how sincere and detailed Canon designers are...they even look into small detail like tt! and seriously, i hv experienced startup problem when smthg (for eg my fingers) blocked the lenses for other cameras and such incidents may reali damage the camera mechanism...hence, i guess Canon cant afford to produce a cap tt is tight enuff to stay on but may juz damage its lenses mechanism when we accidentally switch it on wif the cap on...

juz my two cents... :p still, i like the cap... :D

spilopterus said:
For a while I almost wanted to ditch the camera for the Sony-H1.

See, Sony-H1 cost 720-750 which includes:
Batteries and the charger
512 Memory Stick
Lens adapter and hood.

The S2 cost 830-850 but it doesn't include the things Sony has. So once you add in the rest, it can come up to quite a bit. About 200 bucks more depending on what you want.

Overall, I think S2 is the better camera but whether or not it's worth the money depends on whether you want the other things that come with it such as intervalometer, slightly better IS, better movie and the ability to squeeze off photo shots while shooting videos. I have to admit that H1 gives better value for money, but we haven't seen how both last over time. My Canon S45 still working like a charm, only the battery giving a little problem as all Li-ion batts do.

And the lens cap thing, quite a small problem really, in fact, do find it convenient that it drops off when I switch the cam on. Better than spoiling the mechanism with a cap that won't budge!

Btw, what is the price of a 512 Memory Stick to a SD card?

Actually the issue is that there is much higher chance of fingerprinting, scratch, or damage the lens without realizing the loose cap has dropped off. :eek: than the good guys at canon making the lens pop the cap. If that happens, take your pick : worthless or joke...

erm...all rite...i've neva tot of it frm tt angle b4... :p guess we S2 users have to adapt and learn to be more careful then! haha!!

or did anyone here found a better cap? :)

Dunno, so far, brought it out almost everyday, the zoo and birdpark, never once did I find the lens cap off without me knowing. It's quite tough to knock it off, you'll have to hit it at the right angle such that it pops off, and the angle is so odd considering how you carry the camera normally (around the neck) such that it is quite tough to happen even if so. I don't know if I am explaining it well, but if you use it, probably know what I mean.

But, if you wanna make a tighter lens cap, can always buy those wrist leather strips, easily found at Bugis or accessories store for young female teens and stick it around the lens cap. Might be a tight fit at first, but after a few uses, should fit snugly.

The lens cap... seriously a small problem that hardly happens and if it really bugs you, easily solved with a bit of DIY. It's the pricing that irks more.

Oh, and memory stick to SD card, I am not too sure, but SD card from Kingston got lifetime warranty and can use on many other devices. Unless you got a lot of Sony products, SD card would be the more practical choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.