Is IS S2 worth the dollar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
corollax said:
Actually the issue is that there is much higher chance of fingerprinting, scratch, or damage the lens without realizing the loose cap has dropped off. :eek: than the good guys at canon making the lens pop the cap. If that happens, take your pick : worthless or joke...
I owned an S1. The cap is loose but not to the extent of dropping off by itself. Never had I faced a situation where the cap pop out by itself. Well, in any case, the camera is either in the camera case or in my hands. On the other hand, there are countless times when I forgot to remove the cap and simply twist the switch to on the camera. I can't imagine what will happen if the cap is tight. In fact, nowadays, I don't really care about the cap any more, simply flick the switch and shoot.

wilson said:
I owned an S1. The cap is loose but not to the extent of dropping off by itself. Never had I faced a situation where the cap pop out by itself. Well, in any case, the camera is either in the camera case or in my hands. On the other hand, there are countless times when I forgot to remove the cap and simply twist the switch to on the camera. I can't imagine what will happen if the cap is tight. In fact, nowadays, I don't really care about the cap any more, simply flick the switch and shoot.

Nope, i dun think i mentioned the cap will drop off "by itself" - bcos it won't...

It's striking a balance between having a spoiled zoom mechanism or poppy caps. Anyway, just to feed back, I tried using those soft leather strips from jewellery accessories shops on my DIY macro led ring light for the S2, works wonderfully well. So if it the cap bugs you. tah dah.

spilopterus said:
It's striking a balance between having a spoiled zoom mechanism or poppy caps. Anyway, just to feed back, I tried using those soft leather strips from jewellery accessories shops on my DIY macro led ring light for the S2, works wonderfully well. So if it the cap bugs you. tah dah.

What do you mean by "macro led ring light"? care to shed some... light?

if in doubt, buy second hand S2IS u will spend less

pls dont bother too much with the specs they are more or less similar

Tried the S2 IS but somehow i can't find/activate the meter to indicate the remaining power of battery, or it doesn't come with it ? :sweat:

haiz...tt's a major prob i feel too...u neva know when the batt ll fail u!! but luckily, the cam can usually still goes on a while more b4 it dies when the low batt indicator comes out... :p

Hi,

For those of you who have used or seen the photos from both the Canon IS2 and the Panasonic FZ5, could you please tell me what difference you see in the photos that come out? Would think that in theory, the lenses used by these 2 cams are equally good, but do you get equally good pictures? Or are the sensors or in-camera processing so different that the results are clearly different?

Thanks.

watchthewaves said:
Hi,

For those of you who have used or seen the photos from both the Canon IS2 and the Panasonic FZ5, could you please tell me what difference you see in the photos that come out? Would think that in theory, the lenses used by these 2 cams are equally good, but do you get equally good pictures? Or are the sensors or in-camera processing so different that the results are clearly different?

Thanks.

Examples of S2 IS

http://members.vr-zone.com.sg/~buaya/S2IS_Review/home7.htm

Thanks Felix.

From a look at the comparison of the S2 and the EF lens, assuming all things equal, looks like the S2 pushes the red quite a bit to make it brighter. Less true to life but perhaps to achieve a more pleasant result?

What I'd really like to hear tho is someone's direct experience with both the S2 and FZ5, especially for indoor shooting. But then, maybe that is asking too much.

Lmodel said:
Btw, what is the price of a 512 Memory Stick to a SD card?

I don't know about local prices, just did a search on Sandisk for their MS card and SD card online and found this.

SD Cards
SD 512 - USD59.99
SD 1gb - USD99.99
SD 2gb - USD199.99

MS Cards
MS 512 - USD64.99
MS 1gb - USD89.99
MS 2gb - USD159.99

IS is not a cure all. You still need to get the basics right (control breathing, follow-through when depressing the shutter, tucking in shoulders, etc) and when the shutter speeds drops too low (tolerance differs), get proper support (e.g. tripods, tables, etc). for available light shooting without support, I also shoot in bursts to increase the chance of getting a sharp shot.

Go for a entry level DSLR or a prosumer with high ISO if possible. However if you are easily contended wih a prosumer, look wat we can do with a Canon S2IS:

chtan said:
Hi Felixcat,

I notice quite a number of indoor shots are blur. I suppose those are without flash. Looks like the image stabilizer doesn't help much in indoor shot.

my take is indoor shots are blur due to moving objects shot at lower shutter speeds. IS can help with shaking hands not moving objects.

chtan said:
Hi Felixcat,

I notice quite a number of indoor shots are blur. I suppose those are without flash. Looks like the image stabilizer doesn't help much in indoor shot.

Not when you shake at the same time lah. Have not got used to holding compacts as I always have been holding SLRs. So back to learning curve....

Some shots are indoor and without flash as I prefer natual light.

Will post more on this site pics with flash/no flash..

mastermind said:
my take is indoor shots are blur due to moving objects shot at lower shutter speeds. IS can help with shaking hands not moving objects.

Bro mastermind is spot on. hehe... me have bad shaking hands, old liao lah....

Status
Not open for further replies.