is increasing the sharpness the best way to add grains/noise to an image?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter > Noise > Add Noise?

Hi
Unfortunately, pushing the sharpness will mean that you lose a lot of detail and end up with ugly halos around things.

If you are using Photoshop then there is a filter called "Add Noise" that will do a nice job. You can find it under Filters > Noise > Add Noise

Experiment to see whether the Uniform, Gaussian, and Monochromatic options give you the best result. I'd also suggest copying the layer before you try this out so that you can go back to the original if it all goes horribly wrong.

Enjoy
J

Hi
Unfortunately, pushing the sharpness will mean that you lose a lot of detail and end up with ugly halos around things.

If you are using Photoshop then there is a filter called "Add Noise" that will do a nice job. You can find it under Filters > Noise > Add Noise

Experiment to see whether the Uniform, Gaussian, and Monochromatic options give you the best result. I'd also suggest copying the layer before you try this out so that you can go back to the original if it all goes horribly wrong.

Enjoy
J

thanks! i'll try it out.

Sharpness...hmmm....USM and such doesn't do a good in adding noise, as the result will be very ugly.

If you want to add noise, you can try out various filter in PS, or just use high ISO setting when you shoot.

:dunno: filter>texture>grain ;p also can

shooting with a high iso :)
Or underexposing a lot then making it brighter in photoshop :)

Status
Not open for further replies.