Is Image Sensor cleaning important?

Akira Fudou

May 24, 2005
Woodlands
I'm deciding between brand new d700 or 2nd hand D3. I had done my research on the different spec. But 1 thing that is bothering me is the image sensor cleaning function. Does it affect D3 alot since it didn't come with this feature.

I'm deciding between brand new d700 or 2nd hand D3. I had done my research on the different spec. But 1 thing that is bothering me is the image sensor cleaning function. Does it affect D3 alot since it didn't come with this feature.

I don't think it's a huge diff, if you look after the camera well enough, and exercise due caution.
Can always use blower :)
I find sensor cleaning function not really effective most times.

You can clean the sensor by air blower. Or by good sensor cleaning brush, just be careful.
As long as you seldom change lens outdoor, you won't need to do sensor cleaning so often.

Just remember to be really careful when blowing the sensor or doing DIY cleaning on the D3. Because there is no AA filter on the D3. If you scratch the sensor, you have to replace the entire sensor and it will cost you very dearly...

Just remember to be really careful when blowing the sensor or doing DIY cleaning on the D3. Because there is no AA filter on the D3. If you scratch the sensor, you have to replace the entire sensor and it will cost you very dearly...

Are you sure there is no AA filter on D3 ? I don't remember that's the case.

Are you sure there is no AA filter on D3 ? I don't remember that's the case.

Confirmed by bro Fatigue on Friday's talk session (he who is armed by countless repair manuals and vast amount of experiences). :)

Confirmed by bro Fatigue on Friday's talk session (he who is armed by countless repair manuals and vast amount of experiences). :)

Not unless it meant removal.

http://bythom.com/nikond3xreview.htm
This article is about D3x and D3, with a little mentioning about AA filter. It indicated AA filter is in D3. But there are also mentioning in other websites that the IR filter and AA filter are together in a single component that is not removable on D3. There also a lot of questions about how to remove the AA filter in D3.

Last edited:

This article is about D3x and D3, with a little mentioning about AA filter. It indicated AA filter is in D3. But there are also mentioning in other websites that the IR filter and AA filter are together in a single component that is not removable on D3. There also a lot of questions about how to remove the AA filter in D3.

Well, we've been wondering about this too. Anyway, hopefully bro Fatigue or anyone with the actual experience can address this question.

Also confirmed by 2 other sources, one of them being Nikon Service Centre. I didn't believe it also at first. all 3 sources confirmed the same.

Also confirmed by 2 other sources, one of them being Nikon Service Centre. I didn't believe it also at first. all 3 sources confirmed the same.

@daredevil123

what did you managed to confirm ? There is a AA filter or there isn't ?

I just tested a d700. My first time handling a fx. I didn't know there's a dark translucent border around. Is that suppose to be the fx area while the middle part I'd dx area? It's kind of weird. Can we get rid of the dark area?

I just tested a d700. My first time handling a fx. I didn't know there's a dark translucent border around. Is that suppose to be the fx area while the middle part I'd dx area? It's kind of weird. Can we get rid of the dark area?

What do you mean by dark translucent border around where ? the sensor ? the output of the image ? What lens are you using against the d700 ?

I'm using sigma 50mm f1.4. When I look through the viewfinder I see 2 rectangles an Inner clear one and a bigger one that is dark. Image fall under the dark border is blur. But the output Image is inclusive of the area by under the dark border. The seller told me it's normal. The dark area is fx the middle area is dx

The dark border is where the 51 af points can't reach.

@daredevil123

what did you managed to confirm ? There is a AA filter or there isn't ?

That there isn't. Coz a friend got a scratch on the sensor... wanted to get it fixed. We all thought just a replacement of AA filter will do... NSC and 2 other sources all told us there is no AA filter, the scratch is on the sensor itself, and the only way is to replace the entire sensor.

Last edited:
Akira Fudou said:
I'm using sigma 50mm f1.4. When I look through the viewfinder I see 2 rectangles an Inner clear one and a bigger one that is dark. Image fall under the dark border is blur. But the output Image is inclusive of the area by under the dark border. The seller told me it's normal. The dark area is fx the middle area is dx

Akira Fudou said:
The dark border is where the 51 af points can't reach.

What do u mean by "image fall under the dark border...."
The entire image should be the same brightness. There should only be lines or marks, not bright and dark rectangles.
Confused...
Maybe photograph w phone camera against the VF? :)

I check the manual page 58. It did mention about this dark area. It seem like when u activate dx crop it will appear but if u switch to fx I think it will be clear. That's what I understand.

yes. but Sigma 50/1.4 should not activate DX mode.

I need help immediately if its the camera fault I have to return to the seller. Anyone who can help call at 81233014

I confirm that the fx is on I even off the auto dx crop. No matter what settings I choose the dark area still exist the different is dx mode on the pic taken only consist of the center area. If fx, the image will be exactly what u see from the viewfinder