Is high-quality photography realli necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauLEE

Jun 8, 2003
North-East
Visit site
Over the weekend got chance to look back at many old photos, taken in the 70's, 80's 90's... Though the quality (in term of composition, lighting, sharpness, focus, bokeh (?), etc) is quite low as compared to what I can do now (thnks to digital photogy), I find that the overall character of the images taken in the past to be more personal and meaningful, since at that time, it was juz snap, snap, snap. Actually you can see more in the old pictures than the newly taken ones becoz we were told to focus on the subject and leave out most of the "irrelevance". As such, the new images are very focus, mostly single subject, concentrate on sharpness, and tight crop, many with very good bokeh (meaning you can't see any other things in the pics). In the old pics, we can see some unrelated things happen at the sides, etc.

Now the ? is: Is it really necessary to shoot so seriously images which are for our own hobby-viewing/family photos? What is the use of so many sharp, closeup shots of family members (esp with bokeh?). Why not just shoot "chin chye" but pay attention to candid and overall subject? In the future, when we look back at the images taken now, will we be missing many candid/funny shots or juz bokeh shots? M confused!!!

I am a Minox user. The ease of carrying this little gems far outweigh the bulky dslrs and those "tualengkong" lenses you see so many sports pro use.

Of course, I am not a pro, so it's just my preference to travel and shoot light(no pun intended). ;)

Picture quality , well, not so important la.

Minoxman said:
I am a Minox user. The ease of carrying this little gems far outweigh the bulky dslrs and those "tualengkong" lenses you see so many sports pro use.

Of course, I am not a pro, so it's just my preference to travel and shoot light(no pun intended). ;)

Picture quality , well, not so important la.

come to think of it, you may be right on, having the last laugh?
maybe other CS members care to contribute...

lauLEE said:
Over the weekend got chance to look back at many old photos, taken in the 70's, 80's 90's... Though the quality (in term of composition, lighting, sharpness, focus, bokeh (?), etc) is quite low as compared to what I can do now (thnks to digital photogy), I find that the overall character of the images taken in the past to be more personal and meaningful, since at that time, it was juz snap, snap, snap. Actually you can see more in the old pictures than the newly taken ones becoz we were told to focus on the subject and leave out most of the "irrelevance". As such, the new images are very focus, mostly single subject, concentrate on sharpness, and tight crop, many with very good bokeh (meaning you can't see any other things in the pics). In the old pics, we can see some unrelated things happen at the sides, etc.

Now the ? is: Is it really necessary to shoot so seriously images which are for our own hobby-viewing/family photos? What is the use of so many sharp, closeup shots of family members (esp with bokeh?). Why not just shoot "chin chye" but pay attention to candid and overall subject? In the future, when we look back at the images taken now, will we be missing many candid/funny shots or juz bokeh shots? M confused!!!

So you saying playing with DOF is a bad thing? Just because you think everybody is showing good bokeh doesn't means you have to too. Some like to isolate their objects, some like to include the context. Can you conclusively say that either camp is right or wrong? Why let what other people shoot bother you so much? Its your photographs so its up to you to shoot it anyway you want.

What makes you think that in pursue of technical excellence, other aspects of photography will suffer as a result? Just because you don't like it doesn't means others can't do it. Others do what they like, so can you. Others have to right to choose their priorities in photography, so can you. Again, I don't see the reason to fret.

lauLEE said:

seriously or chin-chye, i think it's best to leave it to each individuals to decide what they want....

For family photos, MOMENT and MEMORY is the keyword. All else IMO doesn't really matters, unless it's..... all OOF? ;p

reno77 said:
I guess the best is a mix of both arty bokeh shots and candid shots ?

Photography is a tool for people to express their thoughts, commentary, ideas, etc on a particular subject, place, individual, etc. If the image suits what the photographer's need, its successful.

Kit said:
So you saying playing with DOF is a bad thing? Just because you think everybody is showing good bokeh doesn't means you have to too. Some like to isolate their objects, some like to include the context. Can you conclusively say that either camp is right or wrong? Why let what other people shoot bother you so much? Its your photographs so its up to you to shoot it anyway you want.

What makes you think that in pursue of technical excellence, other aspects of photography will suffer as a result? Just because you don't like it doesn't means others can't do it. Others do what they like, so can you. Others have to right to choose their priorities in photography, so can you. Again, I don't see the reason to fret.

Kit, don't need to get so worked up (bad for your health)... i m juz wondering what other ppl experience. Nothing more. kopitiam talk only la, nothing abt me vs others, but more like what you think?
as for me, of course no turning back to the old days of snap, snap, snap but juz thinking whether i need all these tualengkong lens to candid shoot when i can juz use a small pocket-size cam.
Sorry if you feel bothered. Hope others will not feel this way.

Heyhey,

Actually i think it all boils down to personal preference? Me still a young young newbie...

When i take pictures with my frens and families etc, i do prefer to just chin chai and take a shot, and just be happy, next time look thru the photos, wat's important is it lets u rekindle the experience u had while taking the photo. Rather than thinking bout how u want to frame the picture nicely and nice nice bokeh. Think not so good to be so serious bout photo quality all the time.

BUt when i do want to try out more serious/artsy shots, then maybe i worry more bout how high quality(low quality for me) the pictures are. :)

Ultimately, i think anything goes as long as ur having fun and enjoy wat u do. ;p

Technical mastery, composition and timing are not mutually exclusive.

it's not necessary... but it's nice to have!

lauLEE said:

Photography is an art form, minus all the gear and gadgets, it is ultimately a form of self-expression. Especially so if u are doing it as a pure hobby, with no restrictions. I think it is important to experiment and create one's own unique style, which may be honed through time of course. Go with the feel of how one would like to approach any kind of subject and enjoy it. Learn the rules but learn too, to break them if necessary.

you could take the same old pics with newer gear. it depends on the situation and you use the equipment accordingly. e.g. if you want to take pics of scenery with your family inside, you may not want to use large aperture to achieve shallow depth of field.

phantasia said:
Heyhey,

Actually i think it all boils down to personal preference? Me still a young young newbie...

When i take pictures with my frens and families etc, i do prefer to just chin chai and take a shot, and just be happy, next time look thru the photos, wat's important is it lets u rekindle the experience u had while taking the photo. Rather than thinking bout how u want to frame the picture nicely and nice nice bokeh. Think not so good to be so serious bout photo quality all the time.

BUt when i do want to try out more serious/artsy shots, then maybe i worry more bout how high quality(low quality for me) the pictures are. :)

Ultimately, i think anything goes as long as ur having fun and enjoy wat u do. ;p
good comments :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Noir said:
Photography is an art form, minus all the gear and gadgets, it is ultimately a form of self-expression. Especially so if u are doing it as a pure hobby, with no restrictions. I think it is important to experiment and create one's own unique style, which may be honed through time of course. Go with the feel of how one would like to approach any kind of subject and enjoy it. Learn the rules but learn too, to break them if necessary.
:thumbsup:

lauLEE said:

For that matter let's use a point and shoot camera and forget to on the flash and also focus on the background instead of focusing on the foreground and recomposing. Those blur shots are also great.....

A good picture is a good picture. Technologies today is not difficult for people to take technically good pictures. Sharpness is more then enuf on average lens. If the picture is not good even it's technically perfect will not give much impact. Otherwise, how can magazine or photobook that mostly printed on 300dpi still produce good result? Old photo for example the vietcom execution or the WW2 old granny with a dead grandson still so stunny. It's a skill itself for the photographers to tell a story in a shoot and when someone look at the picture, he is able to get what the photographer is trying to say.

The NG book "Through the len" compile some best of NG photo. Unlike some NG collection, many are out of focus, sometime too dark etc. They even train a ape to use a camera and capture some picture. The picture taken by the ape obviously not technically good but it reveal what the ape see and tell.

Many feel that those pix in the book is not good technically. The book says in the intro. it's NG best photo (not technically perfect NG photo).

Guys tends to focus too much on technical side of photography and that is why I always feel female photographer actually took better picture in average haha.

coke21 said:
For that matter let's use a point and shoot camera and forget to on the flash and also focus on the background instead of focusing on the foreground and recomposing. Those blur shots are also great.....

Yes! As long as the picture represents what you want to express! Go with the feel!

AJ23, who's the ger in your avitar? long hair, red lips, fair skin -> chio :D
Haha, just being notti.

as i always like to say, unless u want to be very very meticulous, then really really there is no need for whatever very very high quality shots loh, since most of us have other lives also ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.