Is GX10 AF much better than K10D ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

P3ntx

Apr 14, 2007
West Coast Road
www.pentaxphotogallery.com
I saw some test of GX10 AF tests on youtube compare to Sony and Canon. I wonder how does it's AF compare to K10D and what would be on the news for K20D?

It seem like, there quite a number of Pentax related forum, mentioned about the slow AF on pentax SLR ..as well as the noise and Jpeg ..

It seem like Pentax has never really get over the AF speed and accuracy on SLR (due to slowness)..I wonder is this true? Only own K100D, never know how K10D actually perform, but heard too much of poor noise control and lousy Jpeg....so this put me of the K10D ..

I am getting tired of my K100D .... I hope K20D or K10D would be the answer ...

I've been using Canon for some time but had a chance to play with a friend's K100D (kit lens) and I must say it stands up pretty well against some more expensive cameras. The image quality is good if you pay a bit extra attention to white balance, and focusing speed - while not blazing fast, it doesn't feel sluggish either.

what do you mean by "getting tired of k100d", if it is the bbb syndrome, then at least try to resist it

i do wish that the k100d has iso 100 though. or iso50 if possible. the slower the better, since i can try more stuff that requires long exposure and i only have a gnd.. can't stack on my 10-20 or will have vignetting. that's about the only quarrel with the k100d. it's quite amusing though, when i was using prosumer i wish i had higher iso. now i feel like i need lower.

for the af, actually most tests say that the k10d's af isn't fantastic, but it isn't horrible, and one thing they pointed out is that at least it attains a lock sometimes when others cannot. more importantly, i think it should be noted that it isn't directed keyly at sports, unlike the offerings from other brands. also, lenses are important when it comes to autofocus. i have tried different brands before on k10d/k100d and believe me it makes a difference with regards to af speed.

for jpg and raw issues - i almost always shoot in raw nowadays, not an issue.. and everyone should shoot in raw, hurhur. not so sure about noise on k10d, but i'm sure it will not be as good as k100d, of course.

I have K10D but autofocus on kit lens is so-so, nothing fancy lol. If you are getting tired of your camera chances are you are playing camera rather than playing photography ;p To me i don't care much bout the AF speed since i'm using manual anyway... much rewarding to do so for slow slow relax shooting :D

Hmmm...

I am also trying to resist the BBB syndrome with a K10D, but alas I just took over a FA50 from one of the bros today... :cry: but :bigeyes: when i saw the creamy bokeh...

Still i did read a few reviews between the two and I dont think there is a tie breaker between the two...

Then again, lets both wait for the K2 series before we decide?

I saw some test of GX10 AF tests on youtube compare to Sony and Canon. I wonder how does it's AF compare to K10D and what would be on the news for K20D?

It seem like, there quite a number of Pentax related forum, mentioned about the slow AF on pentax SLR ..as well as the noise and Jpeg ..

It seem like Pentax has never really get over the AF speed and accuracy on SLR (due to slowness)..I wonder is this true? Only own K100D, never know how K10D actually perform, but heard too much of poor noise control and lousy Jpeg....so this put me of the K10D ..

I am getting tired of my K100D .... I hope K20D or K10D would be the answer ...

I feel both are similar camera bah. But seems like K10D is much popular and getting more awards. :)

what's the price difference btw for these 2 camera?

had been to the light side for a while after my IST DL... honestly.. i do miss pentax pic quality and all the wonderful lens. ..hmmm... might wanna come back if there is a good offer for K10 tho.. ;)

The K10D and GX-10 are basically exactly the same cameras with some cosmatic difference. The menu is abit different too. Don't think there is any difference at all for practcal use. I'd go with the Pentax even it's abit more expensive (but it certainly isn't the case here in Singapore), unless the price difference is big enough to persuade me to go the other way.

K10D does have faster AF than the K100D, but it's not day and night difference. To choose K10D isn't just for its faster AF, but for its features (two dials, more WB fine tune options. RAW+JPG, better RAW IQ ...) and weather sealing, and of curse SDM support over the K100D.

If I were you, I'd wait for the release of K20D first and see what the new camera would offer :)

Good luck.

Hmmm...

I am also trying to resist the BBB syndrome with a K10D, but alas I just took over a FA50 from one of the bros today... :cry: but :bigeyes: when i saw the creamy bokeh...

Buying a new lens is not a BBB problem ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.