Is good UV filter necessary ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

locksley

Jan 26, 2004
Central Area
This question has been wondering me for a long time.
Usually we buy UV filter as a form of protection for the front element of our precious lens.

But will it degrade the image quailty of the lens ?
Hoya & Tokina are the same, rite ? (At the back of hoya box, got state "made by tokina ")

Wondering how good is B+W UV filter ?

Any comments ?
Pls enlighten me, THanks :)

Hoya is made by Tokina but it is higher grade, like a Toyota & a Lexus. Diff quality.

To me B+W is much better than Hoya, I find very little reflection from my B+W UV Haze filter (a normal one) compare with my Hoya UV (non-HMC) which is just like a piece of glass. ;p

Well, there is the HMC series for Hoya for people who can't justify the cost of a B+W UV Haze filter. I try not to use the ordinary single-coated Hoya because there seem to be a slight warm cast on it.

cheaper ones are prone to give you flares in your picture.

Drudkh said:
cheaper ones are prone to give you flares in your picture.

Something like the glasses wore by the model in your avartar? :bsmilie:

flare is the main concern
I personally have tried Hoya single coated UV filter, and result is not that good. Able to see flare when trying to shoot the bridge near fullerton hotel :(

Think the cheaper alternative is to get Hoya HMC UV. :)
But B+W is too attractive in term of the thickness of the lens.

locksley said:
flare is the main concern
I personally have tried Hoya single coated UV filter, and result is not that good. Able to see flare when trying to shoot the bridge near fullerton hotel :(

Think the cheaper alternative is to get Hoya HMC UV. :)
But B+W is too attractive in term of the thickness of the lens.

Question of the day ...... when you take out the UV filter, do you see the flare?

Second Question, what is the positioning of the sun?

For me no filter at all, hehe

A typical zoom lens has got something like 15 elements of glass or plastic, each surface with multi-coating on. That is what I understand for the better lenses.

It doesn't make sense for you to put a junk piece of glass in front that deteriorates your image. Should at least use a filter that matches the quality of the glass you have.

BTW, flare could also be due to the lack of a hood, especially when the sun is directly on the front element.

blurblock said:
Question of the day ...... when you take out the UV filter, do you see the flare?

Second Question, what is the positioning of the sun?

Ya ya I have tried taking out the filter.
result was better

I was shooting at night that time :)

zekai said:
been shooting w/o a filter for a long time

I was been told by a friend "Shooting without filter is like having sex without condom!"!
Classic rite? :sticktong

The flogging on the Hoya filters is serious and needs cleaning over time. I am thinking of getting some 81A for my 24mm wide and 50mm. There is not only UV filter. Filters can also create or remove effects from the environment lighting, but I am not an expert in this so let the experts speak :)

Status
Not open for further replies.