Is GND/ND filter still important for landscape shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the prices of Lee and Singh-Ray GNDs are simply out of my budget, I am looking at alternatives (not Cokin/Tianya) and I chanced upon Hitech, does anyone have experience with this brand of GNDs? Pricing wise, it is slightly more expensive than Cokin (for 85mm) but still significantly less than Lee and Singh-Ray. I may be giving it a try if the feedbacks are favourable.

not worth it. get singh ray instead. if you wanna save, stick to tianya and cokin. ND, i'm not sure. but i intend to get singh ray variable-ND, so if anyone interested in getting singh ray, maybe can order together.

not worth it. get singh ray instead. if you wanna save, stick to tianya and cokin. ND, i'm not sure. but i intend to get singh ray variable-ND, so if anyone interested in getting singh ray, maybe can order together.

Singh-Ray filters are stretching the limits of my wallet and the most I can afford will be a 2-stop soft GND and a 3-stop reverse GND. Does the size of the GND (84mm/100mm) has any significant impact?

Singh-Ray filters are stretching the limits of my wallet and the most I can afford will be a 2-stop soft GND and a 3-stop reverse GND. Does the size of the GND (84mm/100mm) has any significant impact?

the width of the GND has a bearing on the design of the holder. the holder is the determinant, with relation to the focal length and the lens front element and front thread design.

i bought the two you mentioned. unfortunately they got dirty (and uncleanable) as fast as cheap filters.

i think 100mm is less likely to have physical vignette but the size is significantly bigger. for actual experience, pls ask those who have used lee's.

Filters are very much essential part of photography.

The P size for Singh Ray should be more than enough. The extra length of SR filters should let you make placement easily. I usually handhold filters, so any bigger will be a hindrance.

Reverse ND has a more niched use compared to the GND. I only started to use it more often recently. I think ( with my limited experience so far ) it is really useful for sunrise sunsets, but a single sunrise/sunset may need different stops depending since when it is slightly higher the brightness changes quite dramatically.

There are other SR items i am interested in. Oracle has a friend looking for SR co-ordering as well. Zoossh have u got pm from other ppl for co-ordering so far ?

Ryan

nope so far. but i'm not in a hurry though.

I may be interested in getting a reverse GND for the co-order since Singh-Ray is the only company producing it but I will need it in December.

I may be interested in getting a reverse GND for the co-order, but can fit on Cokin P series holder?

I may be interested in getting a reverse GND for the co-order, but can fit on Cokin P series holder?

They have two size with one suitable for the Cokin P holder and the other, Lee holder

I am interested to know if I am considering Cokin graduated greys, what are the more useful models? I have the P121L (1-stop) and thinking whether 121M and 121S are more useful? Also, can anyone with experience in using the Cokin please tell me the difference in the P120, P121 and P121F filters? TIA

Does anyone know of any other shops selling Cokin 'P' filters other than CP and OP? CP can hardly get any of the GNDs in but sells them at a more affordable price of $28 whereas OP may have the P121M and P121S in stock but at almost double the price of $48...

how do i tell what Tian Ya filter i have?
ordered a set from PPCP but there is no labelling on them.
i can guess the orange one is Grad Orange, then darkest would be ND8, followed by ND6 and ND4 i presumed.

Any ideas how to identify them?

If it's graduated and orange in color then it should be orange grad, the darkest 'black' filter would be ND8, then ND4 and ND2 ..

Sorry guys, sidetrack a bit... any good website that one can read to learn more about this filter thingy... like what situiation use what filter, what filter good for what kind of shots... etc etc..... very interested to learn as I am also into landscape.... etc etc... TIA....

Sorry guys, sidetrack a bit... any good website that one can read to learn more about this filter thingy... like what situiation use what filter, what filter good for what kind of shots... etc etc..... very interested to learn as I am also into landscape.... etc etc... TIA....

google gnd and i think you may turn up luminous landscape and some other pretty good sites

seriously, there are many many good sites out there, and not every one is written the same way so i personally think it's best that you do your own homework yourself so you find out what's best for you. learning how to exploit the internet to its fullest, especially in today's context is very useful for photographers, as i've found through the past year.

and of course, do not just read. going out and trying and seeing how it works first-hand, is always the best way. in fact, i fooled around with my gnd, never did really read up on "how to use it", it's quite intuitive after all, when you get used to the fact that the darker part darkens the skies.. so in which case certain points to note like how you should actually move the darker part to the top part of the frame.. should come naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.