is gitzo Tripod really needed??

VainKid

Aug 1, 2009
Bedok
My friend told me a good tripod can last 10year or more I'm just in doubt. Can someone advice? Thanks

Why people buy Mercedes Benz when a Toyota will do? Why stay in a Condo when a 3 room flat will give you the same shelter over the head?

The choice to go with Gitzo (or any other brands) is subjective. Gitzo users will tell you they appreciate the details and feel of their tripods. The brand oozes good feeling and no doubt, it will last a long long time. To others, its only 3 legs, anything stable enough will do.

Your choice.

MANY good brand tripods (aluminum. I haven't live long enough to see what a CF tripod looks like in 20 years) can last waaaaay beyond 10 years if there's no corrosion and it has not been severely abused. Most tripods used by pros have been subjected to various degrees of abuse. Many of them are still alive today. Usually, it's the locks, especially flip-locks that give problems long before the tripod legs or center base have any issues.

Mostly here you will see pros use Gitzo and Manfrotto.

To some it is a luxury item but to others like me it's a long term investment and a great tool for macro photography, it's indispensable and well worth every penny spent... Explorer user here :)

Thanks to everyone for the input. I believe dream merchant highlight the flip lock issue for tripod. Can you eleborate more and what other type of lock will be consider more practical?

To some it is a luxury item but to others like me it's a long term investment and a great tool for macro photography, it's indispensable and well worth every penny spent... Explorer user here :)
Hi where did u get ur gitzo from? Mind sharing? If inconvenience, can drop me a pm too thanks mate

My friend told me a good tripod can last 10year or more I'm just in doubt. Can someone advice? Thanks

let me tell you that many things can last 10 years or more, but people will tend to find reasons to replace it.

"oh, my tripod look so cui, time to change new one."

"oh, my cat pee on my tripod, dirty, time to change new one."

"oh, my girlfriend say my tripod doesn't like her, time to change new one."

Absolutely. You really need a Gitzo.

Hi where did u get ur gitzo from? Mind sharing? If inconvenience, can drop me a pm too thanks mate

Probably TK Photo.

Good brand tripod makers, they build the tripod to last and time will tell how good is the product.

*what you get is what you paid for, don't just see the exterior.

If you want the quick answer... the answer is NO.

But if you want to be Vain, then the answer might be YES.

Thank u guys, other than manfrotto and gitzo, what other brand do u strongly recommend? I have a budget of $500. Should I invest in

A gitzo tripod with basic ball head panned head or
A mid range tripod with mid a ball and panned head or
A average tripod with good ball head panned head?

Thank u guys, other than manfrotto and gitzo, what other brand do u strongly recommend? I have a budget of $500. Should I invest in

A gitzo tripod with basic ball head panned head or
A mid range tripod with mid a ball and panned head or
A average tripod with good ball head panned head?

budget of 500 will only get you a gitzo alu tripod only. :)

When you had wasted as much $$$ as I do on other cheaper brands, then will you really appreciate the qualities Gitzo provides. In total I wasted almost twice the amount I spend on my Gitzo. Expensive lesson learnt. :cry:

When you had wasted as much $$$ as I do on other cheaper brands, then will you really appreciate the qualities Gitzo provides. In total I wasted almost twice the amount I spend on my Gitzo. Expensive lesson learnt. :cry:
ouch! that hurts... 1 gitzo tripod (CF) is already not easy to accquire and you afford 2.

A system is only as good as its weakest link.

Do factor in the cost of a good ballhead/panhead and qr plates etc when you want to get a "serious system".

Many professionals favour the Arca Swiss system for use with their tripods by the way. And it's really not cheap at all...

budget of 500 will only get you a gitzo alu tripod only. :)
how much do i need for a mid range CF gitzo with ball head??? is ball head enough for macro photography ?

how much do i need for a mid range CF gitzo with ball head??? is ball head enough for macro photography ?

About 600-700 for the Gitzo CF tripod and another 600-700 for a reasonable ball head. Please see the price list for reference. If you can wait, maybe you can hunt around the B&S section for a 2nd hand Gitzo CF tripod.