is FZ20 picture quality satisfactory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxx

Oct 10, 2004
was shocked when read some review said pic quality not so good.. i guess no camera is perfect. how u gals & guys find ur FZ20 pic quality so far?

honestly, i dont think i can tell the diff.. but will still feel buaysong.. like u got a 933Mhz pc but somehow it only runs at 930Mhz ofcoz nobody gonna feel the diff in that 3Mhz, but still heart itchy itchy loh...

fren keep recommending me go for Canon.. but i like FZ10 leh (dat's why getting FZ20) the last time i used it briefly..

juz like buying TVs.. i like clear sharp pictures vibrant and rich in colours...hope not too demanding ya, hahaa..

thx for ur feedback!

See for yourself lor!

FZ20 pics taken by a beginner!

There were some really good one posted in other threads in this Panasonic forum. Do check it out.

it depends on which canon you want la...if you're talking about 20D then no fight lah...

come on...what you waiting for...join the zoomers' club! :D

foxx said:
was shocked when read some review said pic quality not so good.. i guess no camera is perfect. how u gals & guys find ur FZ20 pic quality so far?

honestly, i dont think i can tell the diff.. but will still feel buaysong.. like u got a 933Mhz pc but somehow it only runs at 930Mhz ofcoz nobody gonna feel the diff in that 3Mhz, but still heart itchy itchy loh...

fren keep recommending me go for Canon.. but i like FZ10 leh (dat's why getting FZ20) the last time i used it briefly..

juz like buying TVs.. i like clear sharp pictures vibrant and rich in colours...hope not too demanding ya, hahaa..

thx for ur feedback!

I used to own the FZ-10 and what I do is I like to file photographs
on harddisk and examine them..

I do mostly nature + macro shots and becaue of this I love to
zoom into the insect or the eye of a bird..

When you do this the FZ10 has a lot of noise and the same
problem occurs for the FZ20..

However if you print them, you cannot see the noise on the photo
or if you like to resize the photos .. the noise can be slightly removed
by noise ninja before you reduce the files.

since I do not like to print my photos but examine them on
harddisk, I dont like to see the noise..

so if you print or resize , its a great camera , if you like to zoom in on
harddisk its not good enough go for a DSLR.

Regds
Allan

I have seen pics taken with FZ20 & FZ10 and printed out on 8R size. All I can say is 'SWEE'. Nothing is prefect in this world and that include cameras. Just buy according to your liking. I owned a FZ10 and have no regret of my purchase.

From the eg. on tv you mentioned above, some may love the design and look, and you may prefer performance and features as top of other factors. So it all up to individual preference. ;)

Cheers

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: IT's a good cam.

All I can say is..

No other cam offers you 12x optical zoom at f2.8 throughout for under $1000.
The image quality is good enough for an amateur photographer. If you were to get a similar system on a DLSR (body + similar lens) it would cost you at least 3-4 times more.

If you're comfortable with paying this amount I would say go for it!
So far, I tried the FZ20 the first time this weekend at the Singapore Botanic Gardens. All I can say is I'm pretty pleased with it. The zoom really lets you be creative about how you shoot your pictures.

You can minimise noise with a good post processing program but you cant get more zoom even if you use digital zoom or resizing

ZinY said:
There are random samples from photos taken by FZ20 at -
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/panasonic/lumix_dmc_fz20

I was shocked to come across this paticular photo -
"Poor quality - Indoors ISO 200 with flash"
http://www.pbase.com/calanan/image/33249109

Please comment.

I am even more shock to know you were shocked to see a poorly taken pic posted on the net!

Just kidding......

It's common to have poorly taken pic by a camera, any camera!!! Everyone could do it. Just shoot blindly lor. Only they don't post on the net for you to view!!! :nono:

Just enjoy the better pics la....

LifeWorld said:
I am even more shock to know you were shocked to see a poorly taken pic posted on the net!

It's common to have poorly taken pic by a camera, any camera!!! Everyone could do it. Just shoot blindly lor. Only they don't post on the net for you to view!!! :nono:

Just enjoy the better pics la....
It is not that I am shocked to see a poorly taken pic posted on the net. :(

I am puzzled because he said (on that page) -
"I took a series, they're all like this so I'm ruling out a one-time focus failure."

I wanted to know what causes this kind of 'effect'. ;p

dotti said:
it depends on which canon you want la...if you're talking about 20D then no fight lah...

come on...what you waiting for...join the zoomers' club! :D
i chked out the 20D oredy.. ofcoz cannot la, see the price oredy panty almost dropped.

Allan Teo said:
When you do this the FZ10 has a lot of noise and the same
problem occurs for the FZ20..

so if you print or resize , its a great camera , if you like to zoom in on
harddisk its not good enough go for a DSLR.

sad to note.. FZ20 still has noise problem. dat's wat i've been reading elsewhr too. so i guess i need to do some post-proc to try reduce noise. like you, i too prefer to manage my pics on pc, not print. mayb occasionally will print a few really good/memorable ones.

and i think revolushun hammered home the bacon with his:
"No other cam offers you 12x optical zoom at f2.8 throughout for under $1000." & "If you're comfortable with paying this amount I would say go for it!"

precisely!! the gist of it! if i can afford a 5k budget, no need to think so much liao! guess i wil learn to live with noises!

Ziny, a fren who owns FZ10 commented outdoor pics are good but indoor ones are lousy.. mayb FZ lose out on this (indoor shots)

ARRGH!! headache!!
cant wait for SITEX!!

ZinY said:
It is not that I am shocked to see a poorly taken pic posted on the net. :(

I am puzzled because he said (on that page) -
"I took a series, they're all like this so I'm ruling out a one-time focus failure."

I wanted to know what causes this kind of 'effect'. ;p

I rather not. Touch wood!!! :bsmilie:

foxx said:
sad to note..revolushun hammered home the bacon with his:
"No other cam offers you 12x optical zoom at f2.8 throughout for under $1000." & "If you're comfortable with paying this amount I would say go for it!"
!!

Actually considering the F2.8 12X, I read that that
the glass is not top end leica .. just a branding..

'low end' leica glass at f2.8 is no better than nikon glass at f5.6
Some article I read elsewhere noted that the glass on the
FZ 10/20 is not that great even though it has the 'leica'
brand on it.

so until a lot of objective tests come out, I would wait
and do research if that is not a problem.

If you get noise on indoor shots, I would use a powerful flash
and set ISO to lowest possible..

I think it would be convenient to goto songbro or alan photo
bring your own SD card and take photos in SLSq then you can
analyse it yourself to see if you like the photo

make sure you use lowest iso and super fine mode.

I use a new Lexar 1 GB SD card on the FZ20 and it took only
6 seconds to save a whole bunch of photos after rapid fire
shots.. not bad at all. That beats the Nikon 8800 in speed
hands down!!

Regds
Allan

yes i got the FZ20 camera as well. the images are indeed more noisy especially in low light condition. however in daylight, the performance is superb. one problem that seem to be rather bothering is that in manual mode, pictures taken seem to be dark even though the setting seem reasonable. i also have problem with tele focusing under flourscent light...not sure why this seem to be the case...

I got another camera for indoor shots. The FZ10 I use for outdoor shooting. :D

I'm also keen on the 20D but spending more than $5k.. hardly seems like a good investment for me when I'm looking to buy a house.. Property prices go up.. digital camera prices go down.. hehee

For those of you who are complaining about noise check out noise ninja. I tried it and personally I think it helps with the FZ20 weakness but of course.. nothing like a silky smooth ISO50 shot from a DSLR!

foxx said:
sad to note.. FZ20 still has noise problem. dat's wat i've been reading elsewhr too. so i guess i need to do some post-proc to try reduce noise. like you, i too prefer to manage my pics on pc, not print. mayb occasionally will print a few really good/memorable ones.

and i think revolushun hammered home the bacon with his:

precisely!! the gist of it! if i can afford a 5k budget, no need to think so much liao! guess i wil learn to live with noises!

Ziny, a fren who owns FZ10 commented outdoor pics are good but indoor ones are lousy.. mayb FZ lose out on this (indoor shots)

ARRGH!! headache!!
cant wait for SITEX!!

One more thing.. Foxx. I would suggest you prioritize what you want to get from a camera. There's always the cost and performance ratio you should think about.

Until now I still feel a sense of envy when I see macro photos shot at F1.4 or lower etc.. but no choice gotta live within my means :D

ultimately no matter how much zoom that FZ20 has, it is still just a proconsumer camera. The image quality compared to that of DSLR of course will be different.
Although there is noise, ususally it will not appear in print out so that may not be an issue if u print out the shots that you really like.

despite the noise, i feel that for a proconsumer camera, it is consider very good especially in outdoors. Really responsive! for indoor i am rather disappointed in its focus esp in the tel mode. But if in wide angle, it is still not bad. Another disappointment is that if u have use the adaptor to attach to a filter, the internal flash will be quite useless as it is likely to cause a shadow in the lower part of picture.

I think an external flash will really be useful if u plan to do abit of indoor photography.

btw just wonder if anyone know what am i doing wrong here....

i zoom in to an object at 12X in A mode. the object i around 80 cm. the camera will mange to focus on it for a while and then the whole image will be blur again. Am i too close to the object? or should i be in the macro mode? another question is that when u select marco mode, what has change? the camera will try to focus on nearer objects?

wiki said:
btw just wonder if anyone know what am i doing wrong here....

i zoom in to an object at 12X in A mode. the object i around 80 cm. the camera will mange to focus on it for a while and then the whole image will be blur again. Am i too close to the object? or should i be in the macro mode? another question is that when u select marco mode, what has change? the camera will try to focus on nearer objects?

Which AF mode are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.