Is Film Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gman23xx

Deregistered
Aug 14, 2008
I was just wondering, if Films still exist today. Pardon me. But i tried searching quite a few places but can't find any. Also, most of the shops i knew of that used to do film processing, have switched to digital printing.

So i would like to ask fellow CS users, are there any shops that still do film processing? Are films still available to be bought? Is film processing more expensive than a conventional digital print.

Hope some can give me good insights, as i plan to also learn how to use film SLRs.

Thanks!

GMAN

I m still shooting film .. Colors negatives can still be develop almost anywhere... Like those Fujifilm and kodak shops ..As for B/W .. I send my B/W negatives to Ruby .. You can still buy film from Ruby too .. Its located at peninsula hotel complex i think .. The place whr TCW is located as well ..

Yeah.. Film processing is def pricier then a digital print as u have to pay to develop the negatives too .. follow by printing ..

I m still shooting film .. Colors negatives can still be develop almost anywhere... Like those Fujifilm and kodak shops ..As for B/W .. I send my B/W negatives to Ruby .. You can still buy film from Ruby too .. Its located at peninsula hotel complex i think .. The place whr TCW is located as well ..

Yeah.. Film processing is def pricier then a digital print as u have to pay to develop the negatives too .. follow by printing ..
Average how much does it cost?

GMAN

actually instead of printing from film, why not just process and scan. that way you'll have digital photos from your negatives. i do that. its cheaper that way too.

I shoot exclusively film!

(well, mostly.)

Esp B&W, self developed at home and scanned. cheaper than sending to the shops!

My B/W cost $6 per roll for developing only @ ruby's.

i'm planning to try shooting with film as i have access to my school's darkroom

If u shoot film & scans it then what's the diff with shooting digital?
The output is digitized right?

I shoot films but get it printed through an analog minilab shop in Kota Raya, JB.
Still feel that analog prints has more depth & tones then digital.

My 2cts worth!:)

actually instead of printing from film, why not just process and scan. that way you'll have digital photos from your negatives. i do that. its cheaper that way too.

If u shoot film & scans it then what's the diff with shooting digital?
The output is digitized right?

I shoot films but get it printed through an analog minilab shop in Kota Raya, JB.
Still feel that analog prints has more depth & tones then digital.

My 2cts worth!:)
half truth, quality of the print output is depends on the labs.

Thanks for the info... I believe there is a "film" scanner.... to scan directly from negative... :)
yes, unless you have a lot film to scan, a lot time to scan. else not worth to spend a few hundreds dollars to get a film scanner.

read post #4, you can get process and scan to CD for about $10.

I started with digital and now going back to film.
Traditional Darkroom is quite fun and interesting if you have access.
In fact, by going back to film make me appreciate photography more and give me more creative ideas in shooting.

Film dead? I don't think so, there's still film readily available from Ruby and other shops.

You can check out my recent photos from China, shot with my Nikon FE2. Mostly negatives, some slides, scanned with the Epson V700 into DNG files then processed in lightroom.

3183606359_ffd4f081e4.jpg

3184441796_049fb42cb4.jpg

3184450660_f6296098c0.jpg

3183622513_ab8d857557.jpg

3184450258_6d6b86a9a0.jpg

The rest you can see them on my flickr page, http://www.flickr.com/photos/ervinelin/sets/72157612384765212/

As for price, I try not to think of it when I shoot film. Just FYI, my processing cost for this trip to china was more than $200, that's not even inclusive of the cost of the film itself. After which it took me 1 week to scan everything I wanted (in fact haven't finished scanning yet).

So why do I still shoot film? After shooting personal work in both digital and film I decided film is the way to go as it has an intangible look which digital sometimes lacks. Hard to put my finger on it, but maybe when you see the photos you might understand.

Last edited:
I shoot exclusively film!

(well, mostly.)

Esp B&W, self developed at home and scanned. cheaper than sending to the shops!

Same here!!!;)

Anyway, film is far from dead! There is still neighbourhood shops around my area at Simei selling film. Unless I want some exotic stuff, proberly have to head down to town.

Kodak Gold 200, Kodak Ultramax 400, Fuji Superia 200 & 400 are proberly the most easy to obtain here locally. It is about $4 per roll or even cheaper.

Or if you in to B&W, ruby has has **** loads there. Better film like Fuji Reala 100, I get them at Konata at Penisula. Triple D at Burlington has quite alot of nice exotic stuff.

Usually, for negs/slides, I get them processed & scanned at the lab. Scanning + processing would be about $8-$10. Slides, the only place I know that do E6 process for it would be photohub but its $6 per roll, excluding scanning. For B&W, I usually get a friend to process & scan at for me at their places.

I started shooting on digital initially but when back to film. My first proper film camera was a rangefinder. Yashica Electro 35 GS than followed by a Bessa R3A, am not really an SLR person.

The would say film taught me more patience, how to compose shots better etc. instead of being trigger happy when digital because it only has 36exposures or 12 exposures for medium format. So ya, cant possibly go around being trigger happy, end up with alot of :thumbsd:shots & paying alot of money at the lab to process/scan at the lab.

yes, unless you have a lot film to scan, a lot time to scan. else not worth to spend a few hundreds dollars to get a film scanner.

read post #4, you can get process and scan to CD for about $10.

I remember there used to be a film adapter for a flatbed scanner? :think:

I wonder does it do auto feeding... if yes it would be ideal... :)

I hope film is dead.
I don't like the thought of having something alive wiggling around inside my camera :D

Status
Not open for further replies.