Is Expodisc worth buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicken chop

May 1, 2006
I am thinking of buying something to correct my camera white balance when taking photo indoor with mixed lighting. Most of the time photo using the auto WB is too warm. Can anyone advise whether Expodisc worth buying? :think:

just carry a grey card around with you... waste money for what

Waste $.

Shoot RAW, don't even need to carry grey card.

zekai said:
just carry a grey card around with you... waste money for what

A sheet of white paper is even cheaper and, for all practical purposes I can think of, just as good.

chicken chop said:
I am thinking of buying something to correct my camera white balance when taking photo indoor with mixed lighting. Most of the time photo using the auto WB is too warm. Can anyone advise whether Expodisc worth buying? :think:

Its ex. no doubt but it does work. Produces a neutral image which is generally free from casts, though at times I feel the original taken with AWB is better. I don't use it but I've seen some of the before/after shots taken by friends who do during photo shoots.

Might want to consider expo cap which is a cheaper alternative... it not calibrated to the same standards as expo disc though... mainly for hobbyists. Never seen this one is action so I can't comment on how it performs in the field.

haha, got some ppl use a pringles cap, or stacked coffee filters to do the same thing... cheaper some more...

i'm too lazy to use any of this :embrass:

it really depends on what u are shooting and if u really got the time to use ya expodisc.....

It depend how exp is you shoot.

I use it in the studio, or when the lighting is consistent, or auto and preset white balance won't work, so no post production, deliver the images right after the shoot.

anyway, to do a custom white balance won't take more then a minute. be it using white paper, gray card or expodise.

chicken chop said:

DIY yourself if you really need it. :dunno: :lovegrin:

Anything in life can be a waste of $ if buy it but dun need or use it. :)

I've used ExpoDisc and I must say it gives accurate white balance. Have tried white/grey cards but gotten inconsistent readings. Got fed up with them and Expo solves it all. Good for those who shoot non-RAWs especially in bulk and u dun have much time to spare.

David said:
Anything in life can be a waste of $ if buy it but dun need or use it. :)

I've used ExpoDisc and I must say it gives accurate white balance. Have tried white/grey cards but gotten inconsistent readings. Got fed up with them and Expo solves it all. Good for those who shoot non-RAWs especially in bulk and u dun have much time to spare.

The way to use this ExpoDisc is to fix it on like normal filter, take a shot at the subject for WB right:think: And whenever there a change of lighting just do another WB again? Does anyone know how much are they selling the ExpoDisc in S'pore?

chicken chop said:
The way to use this ExpoDisc is to fix it on like normal filter, take a shot at the subject for WB right:think: And whenever there a change of lighting just do another WB again? Does anyone know how much are they selling the ExpoDisc in S'pore?
77mm is about $300.00

For mixed lighting and if you're relying on ETTL mode on flash, just get a grey card, expodisc only works if you're sure that the flash vs ambience is consistent.

But if you're shooting in a studio or outdoor environment, the expodisc really cuts down on the time needed for colour correction.

longkangman said:
DIY yourself if you really need it. :dunno: :lovegrin:
Ya lorz...

Juz tot of a new way to get rich... Go to and make some cheap clones from China and make a fortune! :bsmilie:

Seriously, don't waste$$ lah...

jeremyftk said:
Ya lorz...

Juz tot of a new way to get rich... Go to and make some cheap clones from China and make a fortune! :bsmilie:

Just like many other photographyic stuffs, if it could be done, it would have been cloned long ago.

What makes it expensive is the stringent QC involved in the manufacturing of it.

jeremyftk said:
Ya lorz...

Expodisc is not a new product, I remember seeing this in the magazine in the 80's. (during that time everyone still shooting film, never ever think about digital yet)
How come nobody as "smart" as you ever thought about this for more then 20 years?

jeremyftk said:
Ya lorz...

CSers will be eternally grateful to you! And you will make a fortune in the process!

What a fabulous win-win situation!

Go! Go! Go!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jeremyftk said:
Ya lorz...

:sweatsm: :sweatsm: If you can find cheap clones from China, I don't mind buying from you.
My so call model (relative and friends) find me slow in setting up, I have to ask them to hold the gray card to take metering when indoor. That's why I thought of buying the ExpoDisc but it seem too ex. :sweat:

chicken chop said:
:sweatsm: :sweatsm: If you can find cheap clones from China, I don't mind buying from you.
My so call model (relative and friends) find me slow in setting up, I have to ask them to hold the gray card to take metering when indoor. That's why I thought of buying the ExpoDisc but it seem too ex. :sweat:
u'll do better to use ur moola on the LSPJII instead of this expodisc gizmo.
that's a true waste of $$ if there ever was one.

Status
Not open for further replies.