Is dry cabinet a need for my DSLR D40?

Status
Not open for further replies.

welisha

Jun 25, 2009
welisha.multiply.com
Hi All, i have a D40 with 2 lens, currently i use a few times a week be it at home or outdoor. Do i need a dry cabinet? or just place inside my flipside 200AW good enough or do i need to place it on a table in open space as mentioned by a few CSs? Pls advise. thanks newbie

Its good to have one...
A 30 litre one shld cost ard $105 i think.

With the weather getting rainy, its better to keep ur equipment safe and dry. :D

buy it...it will save u alot of $$$ in the long run. :thumbsup:

it's not a compulsory...

Dry cabinet is a good investment.
Alternatively u can use those air tight plastic container and put silica gel sachet in them.

I myself have a Dry cabinet, which is really useful in our Singapore climate and humidity condition

On a contrary, a little OT anyone knows roughly how long will it take for fungus to settle in on our precious expensive equipements? Given that it is left in the open of the table in a normal temperature room in Singapore?

removing fungus in lenses are really expensive in singapore.
the $105 on a cabinet will be your best photography investment...trust us!

cheaper way is to get dry box + a rechargable silica gel.

the gel took me 2 mths for me to recharge again. Quite ok for me

i am using a dry box with silica gel, i dont know is it the box problem or something else, my humidity meter on the box, keep moving higher and higher even though i never open the box once. if i were to reheat the silica gel and put them inside the box, the meter will show 45, but as afew days pass, the meter keeps moving higher and higher up to 75

dont know what is the optimal level for humidity but i think getting a dry cabinet will be better in the long run.

it's not a compulsory...

Dry cabinet is a good investment.
Alternatively u can use those air tight plastic container and put silica gel sachet in them.

I myself have a Dry cabinet, which is really useful in our Singapore climate and humidity condition

On a contrary, a little OT anyone knows roughly how long will it take for fungus to settle in on our precious expensive equipements? Given that it is left in the open of the table in a normal temperature room in Singapore?

About 3-6 months of non-usage.

Sorry TS got to OT abit. Newbie here hope u dun mind.

Hey chef i am assuming that u are answering to the question above right? And if it is, So according to ur answer. If i am those who will take my cam out and play everyweek end means i dun need a dry cabi?

Anyone else with any answer as to how long will it takes for the fungus to grow under SG climate?

Sorry TS got to OT abit. Newbie here hope u dun mind.

Hey chef i am assuming that u are answering to the question above right? And if it is, So according to ur answer. If i am those who will take my cam out and play everyweek end means i dun need a dry cabi?

Anyone else with any answer as to how long will it takes for the fungus to grow under SG climate?

Fungus hates 2 things the most... Ultra Violet and dryness..
Dry cabinet reduce the humidity..
Taking ur camera and lenses out into sunshine once in awhile will also help..
Dun forget, you have other gears which you might not use even if you do use your camera on a regular basis. Especially if you have a amassed a large sum of gears. The dry cabinet is still useful, especially in our singapore humidity condition.

Thanks!! Where should i get one?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381546

Fungus hates 2 things the most... Ultra Violet and dryness..
Dry cabinet reduce the humidity..
Taking ur camera and lenses out into sunshine once in awhile will also help..
Dun forget, you have other gears which you might not use even if you do use your camera on a regular basis. Especially if you have a amassed a large sum of gears. The dry cabinet is still useful, especially in our singapore humidity condition.

Hey reanimator, Thanks for the fast reply, so any idea how long will it takes to see fungus start growing on ur lens or worst on the sensor?

Hey reanimator, Thanks for the fast reply, so any idea how long will it takes to see fungus start growing on ur lens or worst on the sensor?

I think as what TheChef mention 3-6months..
To be safe.. dont put it out there for more than 1 month!

I've been using my gears during the weekends.. I usually only put them inside when i know i'll have them stagment for more than 1 week.. incase I forget to put them in later.. period.. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.