Is dry cabinet a must?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christian montano

Dec 2, 2009
Hi Everyone,

Pardon my innocence.

i bought an eos 50d and 15-85mm lens.
My colleague told me to get a dry cabinet.
my questions are:

how important to get one? is it really a must for all DSLR owners?
is the canon bag not enough?

Thanks! =)

In moisture tropical environment, fungus growth on lens surface, renders the lens useless. Hence, it is a prudent move to keep one's lens in dry cabinet when not in use.

Canon bag?!

haha this question has been asked many times before.

If you ask me, the answer is a straightforward yes.

It's one of those things that you get to give you a peace of mind. (its like asking is anti-virus on PCs a must?)

Unless you are using the camera everyday, otherwise, when the camera and lenses sit idle in a humid room, sooner or later, you will see spider web forming on the lenses and there is no way to fix the lens once the fungus eats into the lens coating. Compare the cost of your 15-85mm to a $130 dry cabinet, paying that little bit more just make good common sense in Singapore climate.

from wat i hear, its a must especially in singapore's high humidity climate.. i got it the same day i bought my first dslr, and im glad i did.. a small cab isnt that much of an investment, compared to a new dslr and lens.. and protecting it is important, isnt it? :)

Just do a search for "Is dry cabinet a must"

how important to get one? is it really a must for all DSLR owners?
is the canon bag not enough?

You can store your camera in the bag, but can you carry your dry cabinet around? - Both serve different purposes so the question doesn't make sense.
Your bag is for bringing the camera around when shooting and also to accommodate other gear you might need. But it also provides ideal condition for fungus to grow: dark, humid, air standing still. As a storage location it's entirely wrong.
For storing cameras and other optical equipment it is important to have controlled conditions of a certain quality - see your manual. Storing here means: not using for some weeks and more.

Just get a dry cabinet.

if u're serious in protecting ur camera, then get a dry cabinet or the very least a dry-box....

To TS:

The need for a dry cabinet/dry box/equivalent form of dry storage is very important in Singapore. The humid conditions here a a thriving condition for fungus to try and eat away your camera equipment and live inside. It is prudent to invest in whatever form of dry storage, to ensure that there is no fungal activity on your DSLRs and lenses. (Your hand may already be passing on the fungal spores onto the camera, so the next best thing is to make the conditions it is stored unfit for microbial activity. I don't recommend wiping your lenses and DSLR with alcohol – although I do have some spare ones around – because that'd corrode the plastic and leather coatings of your camera and lenses.)

It's all about whether you really care for your DSLR. Whenever you invest in a DSLR, you're investing in a system that needs utmost care and attention. Like cars.

Just go n get the dry cabinet~ And put ur mind at ease.. :)

Don't get it if you do not feel like spending the money....
:devil:

Well, if you read the instruction manual of your camera...

they suggest you can put in a plastic bag with silica gel in it.

The key is basically store your camera in a dry place.. by that it would mean below 50-55% RH.

So as long when it is being stored for a long time, you just have to put it in a place that is <50% Constant.

So you can,

1) Get a dry box + silica gel
2) Electrical dry box
3) Lock and lock + silica gel
4) Switch on air con 24 hours
5) double ziploc + silica gel
6) Wardrobe with lots of thirsty hippo.
7) and many other improvised solutions....

My wife used to have a dry box also. But after many rounds of "drying" the silicon (put it in microwave), she also got tired of it.
Finally we got ourselves a 30L dry box. Now, our regret is not to get a bigger one.
With it, we can put our lens, discs, camcorder, batteries, tapes, chargers etc in it. Free from fungus and dirt as well.

Do invest in one. You can use it in many ways....

My wife used to have a dry box also. But after many rounds of "drying" the silicon (put it in microwave), she also got tired of it.
Finally we got ourselves a 30L dry box. Now, our regret is not to get a bigger one.
With it, we can put our lens, discs, camcorder, batteries, tapes, chargers etc in it. Free from fungus and dirt as well.

Do invest in one. You can use it in many ways....
My wife also want to use my dry cabinet to store her Chinese herbs, dry scallops and tea leaves but I put a stop to it and she now put all these stuff inside the refrigerator. :bsmilie:

It's one of those things that you get to give you a peace of mind. (its like asking is anti-virus on PCs a must?)

I have to agree with this statement. Well said.
Just a $130 or less item, get it for a peace of mind.
I got a friend who use her camera almost every weekend. She didn't use a dry cabinet. She already use DSLR for 1 year. So far so good.

My wife also want to use my dry cabinet to store her Chinese herbs, dry scallops and tea leaves but I put a stop to it and she now put all these stuff inside the refrigerator. :bsmilie:

:bigeyes: its amazing what one wife will do when her hubby is in photography..
My wife wants to put her SKII inside mine.. :sweat:

:bigeyes: its amazing what one wife will do when her hubby is in photography..
My wife wants to put her SKII inside mine.. :sweat:
Well SKII is still ok in my book. But, I really don't want my camera and lenses to smell like dry seafood...

You are right to ask such stuff to be placed into the fridge as the drycab is still to wet and the scallops will breakdown if not moldy. There is a distinct different between decomposition and lens fungus.:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.