Is dry box really necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceMocha

May 23, 2007
The Upper Room
I think this post may invite some flame, but it in the newbies corner...so be nice ok.

Is it necessary to use a dry-box? Is yes, which model to recommend for say a D40 or 400D.

Can we use a Lock-lock box or any other air-tight boxes in place of a dry-box.

An electronic dry box is usually recommended, especially for Singapore's humid weather. There are a few solutions to regulating the humidity for your camera equipment, like using silica gel in an air tight box, or storing it in an air-con room, the electronic dry box is more user friendly, and you can find them in different sizes.

As for the size, I would recommend you getting a cabinet much bigger then what you require now to cater for future expansion. My dry box was only half filled when I 1st bought it, and now it is almost filled to capacity, and I have to get another bigger dry box soon.

I think this post may invite some flame, but it in the newbies corner...so be nice ok.

Is it necessary to use a dry-box? Is yes, which model to recommend for say a D40 or 400D.

It is a important item as Singapore is very humid.Your precious lens will turn mouldy in no time.
Best is to get the those electric dry box with RH metering shown. It is very convienent in long term. I also have a lock-box or tight box which need to add the drying agents but i find very troublesome and not sure if the RH level is consistence.

Best is to get a bigger box in case u increase your equipment in the near future.

James

Dry box is not necessary.

Dry cab is necessary.

Regards,
Arto.

if you have a dslr, its a must to have a dry box or dry cabinet, specially if you are here in Singapore.. lots of molds and fungus in the air which is harmful to your machine particularly the lense... hahaha :bsmilie:

But, if you opt to buy the dry box that uses silica gel, well, you have to prepare to buy silica gel every 2 months, or, prepare to heat up the silica gel in a pan to reuse it...
Each container of silica gel is around 4 bucks(i think)

But if you want to save your self from the inconvenience of the silica gel,
just go to Carrefour and get the small DigiCab which is just 98 bucks...

ya lor, its just 5% of the 2k dollar camera that u buy.

ok
Absolute necessary if you are in Singapore due to its humidity
No!

When you have to pay for the cleaning of the fungus on the lens. You will know..
The cost of cleaning fungus may bearable. But degradation of lens after cleaning make you cry... :cry: .

Regards,
Arto.

buy from carrefour izit safe... dun mind spending the $98, if it really can protect my equipments... :think:

I would recommend you to search through the Newbie's forum. A lot has been already discussed . :)

buy from carrefour izit safe... dun mind spending the $98, if it really can protect my equipments... :think:
There are 5 years warranty for Digi Cabi IIRC.

The bigger dry cab (40L and above) they can deliver to your door step.

Regards,
Arto.

do u have aircon room and do u use ur equipment at least once every 2 weeks?
if yes then no need dry box or dry cabi.
my fujiS2pro hasnt been in a dry box or dry cabi for about 2 years liao. it stays on my bed most of the time. no fungus or problems yet.

Be safe than sorry. I take my camera out almost daily and I still put it in the dry-cabinet. Would you risk having fungus? Singapore is a very humid country. Humidity can reach 70-80% on wet days.

Since you're looking at potential $1K+ products (and in future maybe more), I suggest you spend a hundred bucks or so to get a Dry Cab. Yeah, better be safe than sorry. The smallest Digi-Cab is the 30-litre model. Works wonder and small enough to be inconspicuous.

... unless you're talking about silica-in-Tupperwares? Not recommended though, cos it discourages you to open it!

Since you're looking at potential $1K+ products (and in future maybe more), I suggest you spend a hundred bucks or so to get a Dry Cab. Yeah, better be safe than sorry. The smallest Digi-Cab is the 30-litre model. Works wonder and small enough to be inconspicuous.

... unless you're talking about silica-in-Tupperwares? Not recommended though, cos it discourages you to open it!

Plus, you won't know when the silica gel is saturated to the point that the humidity is too high for the lenses to get fungused...

i almost brought a 30l dry cabi and ended up filling up my 60l dry box. I feel 60l is a good size. IT'S A MUST HAVE!

I also believe humidity affects metal contacts in flashes and camera. Prevent rust also.

Would never flame ya for how ya wanna maintain & keep ya gear. ;)

Basically, its how we or me keep my camera & lens when not in use.
Fulltime photographers may not even have time or luxury to store in da dry cab for a break.:bsmilie:

Da tips and reasons have been given by da pros and laymen oredy.

How ya finally wanna act is still ya option. Perhaps ya may discover how to keep ya cam better without using da dry cabin.
Good luck.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.