Is dry box really necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.
advice needed here...

jus wondering.. is using Thirsty Hippo help in place of silica gels inside a dry box a better solution of using the gels?

or it would cause more problems coz of the water that is present when it has absorbed inside the container? (water will form inside the container after sometime from absorbing from the air)

thanks~!

I think this post may invite some flame, but it in the newbies corner...so be nice ok.

Is it necessary to use a dry-box? Is yes, which model to recommend for say a D40 or 400D.

Can we use a Lock-lock box or any other air-tight boxes in place of a dry-box.

i think those who can afford a few thousand dollars lens buying a dry cabi/box is a no brainer.. but to contradict a bit i don't use any dry box/cabi for 400D/kit lens and so far no problems. and also to reinforced my belief, my father is holding on to a 20 year old Canon 50mm lens + AE1 just in a pouch at the closet still no fungus.. just a lot of dust :bsmilie:

So if I leave it on my desk (no air con) will fungus grow?
And i snap a few picture every week.

I realised shoes etc... its really if u keep in cupboard without use then will grow fungus. In the open, fungus won't grow.

i do not have a dry box but i bought a small dehumidifer from NTUC and put it in my cabinet where i store my camera.. got nice smell too

where can i buy the dry box ah?
anybody can tell me?:) thx a billion!!!!

advice needed here...

jus wondering.. is using Thirsty Hippo help in place of silica gels inside a dry box a better solution of using the gels?

or it would cause more problems coz of the water that is present when it has absorbed inside the container? (water will form inside the container after sometime from absorbing from the air)

thanks~!

no replies? hahaha...

so is using thirsty hippo the same as silica gels?

no replies? hahaha...

so is using thirsty hippo the same as silica gels?

They absorb moisture, but to the extent that it can control humidity?? I'm not really that sure.

Hi, I wonder how many lenses can the Digi Cabi 30L dry cabinet accommodate? I have about 7 lenses now and 1 camera body. I don't intend to put anything else in the cabinet; well, if I do indeed need to put something else, I'll just get another one. I need to hand carry the cabinet back to Malaysia, so I am wondering whether the 30L version is small and light enough.

If you have a DSLR, then a dry cabinet is really a fraction of your investment. Don't skimp. Just go out there and buy a small DigiCab. You won't regret it.

i think those who can afford a few thousand dollars lens buying a dry cabi/box is a no brainer.. but to contradict a bit i don't use any dry box/cabi for 400D/kit lens and so far no problems. and also to reinforced my belief, my father is holding on to a 20 year old Canon 50mm lens + AE1 just in a pouch at the closet still no fungus.. just a lot of dust :bsmilie:

I brought an old Canon AE-1 + several FD lenses with me to Singapore in 1996. They were stored on an open shelf in a non-aircon but well ventilated room. 2-3 years later I had to throw them all in the trash. And I have just thrown out a valuable old pair of binoculars from the 1950s that belonged to my father. Same problem.

So now I keep all my Pentax DSLR gear in two digicabs (second bought at Parisilk in HV). But I don't oftern remember to put my P&S in there, so I guess it gonna have a short life.

My house is totally non-aircon. Most of the time I leave my hi-fi switched on to keep it warm and moisture-free. Anything electrical that isn't regularly used gets in a terrible state, including scanners. So do cameras and lenses if you don't treat them properly.

Tim

I keep my PnS camera in a "Lock and Lock" air tight box with a packet of silica gel in "teabag" kind of bag.. air can go thru lah..

Can see the silica gel turning red after a period of time.. then can change the silica gel lah..

i think that is good enuff liao...

no need thirsty hippo lah...

I keep my PnS camera in a "Lock and Lock" air tight box with a packet of silica gel in "teabag" kind of bag.. air can go thru lah..

Can see the silica gel turning red after a period of time.. then can change the silica gel lah..

i think that is good enuff liao...

no need thirsty hippo lah...
So troublesome.

Dry Cab is far better option.

Regards,
Arto.

I think this post may invite some flame, but it in the newbies corner...so be nice ok.

Is it necessary to use a dry-box? Is yes, which model to recommend for say a D40 or 400D.

Can we use a Lock-lock box or any other air-tight boxes in place of a dry-box.

Generally the worry is about fungus attacking lens elements, a DSLR has no lens (only a viewfinder) so there isn't much worry about humidity.

Nevertheless, I find it very odd to have a DSLR with no lens, or to only keep the lens dry and not the DSLR.

In my view, it's not strictly necessary to use a dry box. If you have lots of money for CLA, or to buy new lenses when fungus has etched your lens elements so badly they can no longer be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.