Is Downloading of TV Series Illegal?

mohgui

Jan 31, 2005
La La Land
i know that downloading of movies/music/apps etc from the net is illegal. i'm referring to paid items.

but is downloading TV Series illegal? there are some good TV Series in the US but not found here. so, is downloading and watching them illegal?

yes.

illegal because

(i) copyright infringement as a result of your downloading resulting in an unauthorised copy of a copyright work

(ii) you have violated Singapore censorship laws because the show has not be censored by Singapore's censorship laws.

Last edited:
yes.

illegal because

(i) copyright infringement as a result of your downloading resulting in an unauthorised copy of a copyright work

(ii) you have violated Singapore censorship laws because the show has not be censored by Singapore's censorship laws.

He's referring to paid items...so the copyright issue is out.

(ii) is questionable...most of the times MDA will close one eye because it's impossible to censor (eg. iTunes TV show rentals).

Yet you could find alot of media player in IT fair that has torrent downloading features. :bsmilie:

you can easily buy rice paper anywhere

whether you roll the rice paper with marijuana (illegal) or tobacca (legal) is up to you

sorry if i didn't make myself clear. what i meant is downloading of paid items via the net without paying them is illegal. but TV Series like 'The Amazing Race'... although SG is already showing, but by downloading... one can watch the series in advance. does this have legality issues?

sorry if i didn't make myself clear. what i meant is downloading of paid items via the net without paying them is illegal. but TV Series like 'The Amazing Race'... although SG is already showing, but by downloading... one can watch the series in advance. does this have legality issues?
If you download from a legitimate source in the USA eg TV station or broadcaster / production house or pay per view it will be legal but if it's not classified in Singapore it may be illegal (likely is). From torrents and other p2p sites... illegal.

censorship and copyright. u need to fulfill both criteria.

sorry sidetrack. what is interesting is if you don't download the movie (bringing it into singapore) but you stream it, is that legal?

Try getting a HD DV box from starhub where it allow recording of your fav TV show inside that device and view anything when u like it. In this case, its Legal. :p

Yes, because the series that Mediacorp is showing is "bought" from USA by Mediacorp (viewing rights). But if you download, it is illegal because you did not purchase any viewing rights.

Viewing rights are company/individual specific, not country specific.

Only if you get caught
rolleyes.gif

censorship and copyright. u need to fulfill both criteria.

sorry sidetrack. what is interesting is if you don't download the movie (bringing it into singapore) but you stream it, is that legal?

i think u can stream it...but once u download it, its illegal i think.

Yes, because the series that Mediacorp is showing is "bought" from USA by Mediacorp (viewing rights). But if you download, it is illegal because you did not purchase any viewing rights.

Viewing rights are company/individual specific, not country specific.

hmmm... why the word 'bought' in double quotation? :bsmilie:

anyway, thanks for the advise. but i think most people don't give a hoot about it.

hmmm... why the word 'bought' in double quotation? :bsmilie:

anyway, thanks for the advise. but i think most people don't give a hoot about it.

Hmm because they don't actually buy the show, just the rights to broadcast it :bsmilie:

Yeah, I don't give a hoot about it myself either :sweat:

If you download from a legitimate source in the USA eg TV station or broadcaster / production house or pay per view it will be legal but if it's not classified in Singapore it may be illegal (likely is). From torrents and other p2p sites... illegal.

what he said. :thumbsup: