is downloading legal??

Status
Not open for further replies.
If downloading is illegal, then you what is the point of sites like www.riaa.org , www.whitehouse.gov when EVERYBODY cannot access them?

By accessing these sites, or in fact, any other web site, you are downloading.

Originally posted by Zoomer
If downloading is illegal, then you what is the point of sites like www.riaa.org , www.whitehouse.gov when EVERYBODY cannot access them?

By accessing these sites, or in fact, any other web site, you are downloading.

shouldn't the answer be, YES or NO, depending on what is downloaded?

:dunno:

Originally posted by revenant
Downloading of warez such as software, games, movies etc are :D

but i ain't gonna stop downloading movies!!! cinemas too expensive nowadays!!! :D oh yeah, and MP3 as well!!!

Originally posted by NitroTech

but i ain't gonna stop downloading movies!!! cinemas too expensive nowadays!!! :D oh yeah, and MP3 as well!!!

Like I've repeated umpteen times before. Just because it's expensive doesn't meant it's justifiable. If you're pirating software or mp3s or whatsoever, just admit to it. Don't try to justify it by saying that it's too expensive or whatsoever. True, it hurts no one, because there's no physical copy so by taking a copy of it, you aren't depriving someone else of that copy.

Now, think about your digital photos. The same argument can be used on your photos as well.

Originally posted by Richard

Like I've repeated umpteen times before. Just because it's expensive doesn't meant it's justifiable. If you're pirating software or mp3s or whatsoever, just admit to it. Don't try to justify it by saying that it's too expensive or whatsoever. True, it hurts no one, because there's no physical copy so by taking a copy of it, you aren't depriving someone else of that copy.

Now, think about your digital photos. The same argument can be used on your photos as well.

In my studies, Architectural Desktop is the software I couldn't do without. So do majority of Architectural students. The original copy retails for more then 8k. So how?

Originally posted by Kit

In my studies, Architectural Desktop is the software I couldn't do without. So do majority of Architectural students. The original copy retails for more then 8k. So how?

To be honest, that's an issue to be ironed out between your university and you and the software manufacturers. They generally have academic licenses. If they don't, and they know that you need it, it's generally implied that they turn a blind eye towards copying, which quite a few of the software manufacturers do. This is done so as to gain more mindshare, in the hope that when you go out into the corporate world, you'll buy their software.

HOWEVER, there have been people who have been made an example of. I've come across a student who was clamped down on by Autocad for publishing a picture of a hinge (!) on the net using a pirated version of Autocad. He posted it on his own website, and it was linked back to him. Total bill? $8000 for the software + legal costs.

To be honest, that's an issue to be ironed out between your university and you and the software manufacturers. They generally have academic licenses. If they don't, and they know that you need it, it's generally implied that they turn a blind eye towards copying, which quite a few of the software manufacturers do. This is done so as to gain more mindshare, in the hope that when you go out into the corporate world, you'll buy their software.

HOWEVER, there have been people who have been made an example of. I've come across a student who was clamped down on by Autocad for publishing a picture of a hinge (!) on the net using a pirated version of Autocad. He posted it on his own website, and it was linked back to him. Total bill? $8000 for the software + legal costs.

I'm not talking about academic licenses. Of course, the uni is licensed to use the software. However, computer ratio to students is 3 zillion to 1, not considering technical failures(frequent) which will widen the gap. One simply cannot rely too much on school machines. Much better to secure a copy ourselves.

Exorbitant prices is being used to justify piracy, sad but true. Not without good reasons too.

Originally posted by Kit

I'm not talking about academic licenses. Of course, the uni is licensed to use the software. However, computer ratio to students is 3 zillion to 1, not considering technical failures(frequent) which will widen the gap. One simply cannot rely too much on school machines. Much better to secure a copy ourselves.

Exorbitant prices is being used to justify piracy, sad but true. Not without good reasons too.

Point taken about the university reason. But honestly, I'm sick and tired of people using the reason that prices are too exorbitant and use it to justify their actions. Be it in terms of music, movies or software.

Point taken about the university reason. But honestly, I'm sick and tired of people using the reason that prices are too exorbitant and use it to justify their actions. Be it in terms of music, movies or software.

Well, that's just too bad then. Its happening, its real and I'll say this again, its not without good reasons.

I do admit to piracy. Yeah it's not justifiable you may say, but for me it's the main reason (expensive tickets) why i download movies etc.

In a way, software pricing is one of the main factors contributing to piracy. But mindset is the larger one. For the latter, no matter how cheap/affordable, they will still buy pirated. I bought SystemWorks 2002 at $100 odd, which I find is reasonable considering it's really 4 software in one, but others think $100 odd is too expensive for software.

The other thing is de-facto software like MS Office, PhotoShop, etc. Sure, there are other alternatives like Staroffice, Elements, PaintShop Pro etc, but they aren't quite there. But of coz, the other side of the argument goes : If you can afford a DSLR, then you can afford the original Photoshop. :)

As regards music and movies, I never buy pirated. I am an audiophile, and the quality of the pirated stuff just puts me off. I am very particular about sound and video quality. I do download MP3s as a sample and eventually buy the original though. :) DIVX is just too large to download even on broadband.....

In his latest concert, I think David Tao made a good point in an interview : Quality of the original is important. If your original is no good, people obviously don't want to spend money on the original.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
In a way, software pricing is one of the main factors contributing to piracy. But mindset is the larger one. For the latter, no matter how cheap/affordable, they will still buy pirated. I bought SystemWorks 2002 at $100 odd, which I find is reasonable considering it's really 4 software in one, but others think $100 odd is too expensive for software.

The other thing is de-facto software like MS Office, PhotoShop, etc. Sure, there are other alternatives like Staroffice, Elements, PaintShop Pro etc, but they aren't quite there. But of coz, the other side of the argument goes : If you can afford a DSLR, then you can afford the original Photoshop. :)

As regards music and movies, I never buy pirated. I am an audiophile, and the quality of the pirated stuff just puts me off. I am very particular about sound and video quality. I do download MP3s as a sample and eventually buy the original though. :) DIVX is just too large to download even on broadband.....

In his latest concert, I think David Tao made a good point in an interview : Quality of the original is important. If your original is no good, people obviously don't want to spend money on the original.

Regards
CK

Me too. I don't mind paying AFFORDABLE prices for originals. Actually, I got a chance to get the academic version of 3D Studio Vidz at a price of A$350. Ordered it without second thoughts. Its much more stable.

Well, anyway, as a student without much moola $$$, i tried my best to support originals, including getting those VCD and music cds. Softwares? Well, no WAY! Unless those small software makers that requires small sum contribution. I did email money order to WINAMP, Listmaker, etc. This is to support them.
As for those big guys like microsoft,etc. err.. dun think so.

Just imagine, if u buy every softwares u r using now on ur pc/mac, it will be even more expensive than the pc/mac u r using. This is also the main reason why majority japanese University students aint PC literate, although Japan is so high tech. In japan, if u buy a pc, it is super expensive. Why? Becoz u need to purchase all ur original softwares that comes with ur pc.(Ever wonder why a search on Japan babes contact lists in ICQ return with such little search results?)

Anyone can proudly proclaim the phrase "I am clean!!!"?

If u really could, :what: WOW.

OT here..... but I like your signature!! :bsmilie:
Will tell that to me friends the next time.:devil:

"Harassing Me about My Smoking May Be Hazardous to your Health".

Well, in a way MP3 and movies downloaded for the net is another alternatives to testing the particular music/movies before i really go it.

Just say today "Fish Leung" release a new album, needless to say, i will purchase the music cd asap. But what if it is a new artist? Rely on music reviews instead? Well, with so many contradicting reviews(some give nice reviews, some give shitty reviews) which should u rely it on?
or juz purchase the music cd and rely on luck?

Well, as for me, i will download the mp3 album first. If it is really nice, i wun mind supporting it and buy its original music cd. If its the other way round, WELL >>>>>> then delete the mp3 lol.

Same applies to movies. If u have plentiful of time and $$$, u can go to the cinema and watch those movies direct then.. :D

Originally posted by NitroTech
OT here..... but I like your signature!! :bsmilie:
Will tell that to me friends the next time.:devil:

"Harassing Me about My Smoking May Be Hazardous to your Health".

Haha.. actually i copied it from Men In Black II, the scene where the 2 face guy first met the evil girl in his kitchen. This is sticked on the fridge.
You noticed it in the movies?
Hehe... took me 2-3 replay to really get the exact slogan. Hehehe:D

Status
Not open for further replies.