Not open for further replies.

summrj

May 19, 2008
hey guys... ive got a choice to make..

currently.. im able to get either

1) D90 with 18-55 kit lens... 8GB card.. bag and tripod -- $xx + 250

2) 500D with 18-55 kit lens.. 8GB card.. EF lens book --- $xx

3) 500D body.. 8GB card.. EF lens book ---------------- $ xx-165

both are brand new.. and sorry can mention the prices.. suffice to say it's rather nice..

which would you choose?

if i choose 3.. i intend to get a 2nd hand lens for abt $200+ 300+?

oh.. this will be my first DSLR btw.. i like canon for the value... but from the pics i see online of D90 vs 500D.. omg.. no fight la... haha... nikon just seems.. a notch above... or mayb my eyes were playin tricks on me.. heh..

the images you see online are the result of the photographer knowing his tools well and not because of the camera

Btw, i use nikon. if you like canon then just go with your preference
once you buy, just put in the effort into knowing your camera well
and not looking at other cameras

if you see an image you like, think of how you can achieve the same with your tools
it can be done

btw welcome to CS :)

Hello...welcome.

As I have mentioned many times in this forum that any entry level cam is able to give you decent pictures if you use them within their limits. Brands do not matter, it's you who does. Does more pricey means it's a better cam?

Just shortlist the cams that is within your budget, then compare the features and go to the shop to see which suits you better.

Do have a look at what the other brands like Sony, Pentax, Olympus, amsung & Panasonic has to offer too. You may eventually get something else instead of Canon or Nikon.

the images you see online are the result of the photographer knowing his tools well and not because of the camera

if you see an image you like, think of how you can achieve the same with your tools
it can be done

agree with Mr Ortega on these

comparing just 500D and D90, i would say D90 is better.

you should take a look at k200d

are both the d90 and 500d worth more than k200d? :bsmilie:

it will never end.

if you know how to use a dslr, it is going to be worth more to you than handphone camera.

if you do not know how to use it, then you take picture, not that much different from handphone camera.. and that's the way it goes.

Last edited:
Just shortlist the cams that is within your budget, then compare the features and go to the shop to see which suits you better.

Do have a look at what the other brands like Sony, Pentax, Olympus, amsung & Panasonic has to offer too. You may eventually get something else instead of Canon or Nikon.

Second this.. and I would strongly suggest to consider Sony too in your evaluation criteria. their entry level systems and pretty good.

will back to your own decision and within your own budget
i agree with this
:thumbsup:

it can be done

I am using the D90 and since it is new, I am still learning how to use it to it's full capabilities. I know there is a long way to go for me. One good proof as an example? I have seen many photos from people using the entry level Sony A200 that are just so great and astounding compared to what I've been trying to achieve. So it doesn't just lie with the camera.

Get one you are comfortable handling, use it, master it, learn. Sound advice from good people here. Don't just go with the brand. ;)

Go to one of the stores and try them out. See which feels more comfortable and intuitative to you. You can't go wrong with DSLR's today so anything you choose will be plenty capable. No matter what, you'll still have to learn about photography regardless of what you end up choosing as you can't just press a magic button and get an award winning photograph.

i chose the D90 over the 500D cause of the better build of the camera, as always with nikon when you compare within the entry levels..but it is really up to you, the picture quality is really close anyway, and as others have said, it is hard to find a totally rubbish camera in today's context...

I don't see why not! Just buy what you like.

You could use the cash that you saved for a nifty fast prime lens ie. EF 50mm f/1.8 or to go to the EF-S 55-250mm fund ($400-ish?)

Lets not forget, another important thing to consider when going into dslrs is that you're not just buying into the camera, more often than not, you're buying into the entire lens range as well. Does Nikon have a "mid-range" product with regards to their lenses that Canon does?

And as for images you've seen online, everything the Nikon can do, a Canon can do and vice versa, its just a matter of how good an eye (and imagination) the photog has and how good his photoshopping skills are.

thanks for all the responses guys!

the pics i were referrin to... it's more of the colours.. i dunno but the cololurs on nikon's pics.. just seem so much more vivid and warm... canon's kinda dull.. hmmm...

thanks for all the responses guys!

the pics i were referrin to... it's more of the colours.. i dunno but the cololurs on nikon's pics.. just seem so much more vivid and warm... canon's kinda dull.. hmmm...
depends how much PP effort you are willing to put in after the shoot and overall camera settings.

Actually I thought the default colour output of canon is warmer and more vivid and nikon is more natural...but anyway, can always adjust in camera setting.

The D90 is definitely worth that extra $250 if you are willing to top up. With the D90, you get a better body build, one more dial, larger and brighter viewfinder, better grip, the top lcd...

Actually I thought the default colour output of canon is warmer and more vivid and nikon is more natural...but anyway, can always adjust in camera setting.

The D90 is definitely worth that extra $250 if you are willing to top up. With the D90, you get a better body build, one more dial, larger and brighter viewfinder, better grip, the top lcd...

Agreed ...

no la, nikon tends to be slightly cooler also.

canon users will claim that their colors nicest, nikon will claim their colors nicest, pentax, olympus also can chip in, along with sony, etc.

of course , it depends on which system you use and prefer, even if you don't use it. :bsmilie:

anyways, you are buying SYSTEM, not just the body, i don't see how all these matter, since i can say that next time, i will upgrade to mark d III, then in which case, mark d III pwn d90.. :bsmilie: then you upgrade to d3? :bsmilie:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

To try out the different camera brands and grip.

You can go to challenger at Funan.

Price comparison is rather subjective.

Btw i'm using a D90, still a newbie and exploring its functions.

But i'm enjoying every moment of it. :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.