is D5000 + SB-600 suitable for Wedding shoot?

cdxing

Jul 31, 2009
Nikon D5000 + Kit len + 200mm with SB600 enough for wedding photography? Or wat's the min DSLR body & lens?

Nikon D5000 + Kit len + 200mm with SB600 enough for wedding photography? Or wat's the min DSLR body & lens?
you are the main photog?
if you have accepted an assignment and are asking this sort of question, you should be afraid.... very afraid...

If you're the backup/extra, then visualize what you wanna shoot and bring the appropriate gear. You've attended a wedding before, right?
where got such thing as "minimum" body and lens?

second to the response given too . . .

You should have 2 bodies with 2 different lens . . .

you are the main photog?
if you have accepted an assignment and are asking this sort of question, you should be afraid.... very afraid...

If you're the backup/extra, then visualize what you wanna shoot and bring the appropriate gear. You've attended a wedding before, right?
where got such thing as "minimum" body and lens?

Erm... U didn't reali ans my main question. If I'm shooting using D5000 as main photographer, is it ok?

If you shooting for free. Yes it is enough.

If you intend to get paid for this, no it is not enough.

If you shooting for free. Yes it is enough.

If you intend to get paid for this, no it is not enough.

Is it Bcos of the body or lens? So get D300 or D90 better?

Erm... U didn't reali ans my main question. If I'm shooting using D5000 as main photographer, is it ok?

the end results are largely determine by your skill,
gears do play a part, but is just a small factor.

So, are you planning to make money out of it?

Which camera body only matters as a perception to your clients. If you want to impress your clients, D3s is the answer.

But in real shooting other things matter more. Also depends on your price range. What price range do you intend to charge for a full day of AD wedding shoot? If your clients only willing to pay you $400 for a full day of work (10 hours usually for AD wedding, and include PP, photo printing and slot-in-album), do you still want to buy a D3s?

Last edited:
the end results are largely determine by your skill,
gears do play a part, but is just a small factor.

:thumbsup: +1...

but then again, TS can wait for D7100. I heard a rumor that they are going to include a wedding mode in the scene modes. ;)

That's because if you're the main photographer and have to ask this sort of question, I wouldn't want to be your client.

Please step back and think about your question for a moment. Do you think it's a sensible question?
Wilson ______ tennis racket good enough for Australian Open championships? Or what's the minimum racket and strings?

If you get a high end body and are not able to familiarize yourself with it in time, do you think you'll produce better images under pressure?

But I mean what's really wrong abt D5000? Aren't this also a DSLR? Y there's always ppl saying D5K is not suitable for wedding but never say the reason? If I charge client below market price as in around $500, is this cam suitable?

The thing is tat I wanna know y not suitable, not some same common remarks like not suitable. Bcos it's categories as entry level, not full frame, no AF motor, not expensive enough? It can still adjust aperture for DOF effect, adjust ISO, shutter speed, change lens, etc...

D7000 la bro :p

:thumbsup: +1...

but then again, TS can wait for D7100. I heard a rumor that they are going to include a wedding mode in the scene modes. ;)

I think he is trying to say wait another 2 more yrs for D7000 replacement... n wedding mode in the scene modes :bsmilie: can also include wedding post-processing tools in the camea :thumbsup:

But I mean what's really wrong abt D5000? Aren't this also a DSLR? Y there's always ppl saying D5K is not suitable for wedding but never say the reason? If I charge client below market price as in around $500, is this cam suitable?

The thing is tat I wanna know y not suitable, not some same common remarks like not suitable. Bcos it's categories as entry level, not full frame, no AF motor, not expensive enough? It can still adjust aperture for DOF effect, adjust ISO, shutter speed, change lens, etc...
Doesn't matter if you charge $500 or $5000 for wedding photography, you still have to deliver to the standards that you have in your portfolio or as agreed upon with your client.

If you know your camera very well, you should know what "limitations" it has, if any. The important thing is to be competent with your gear and have the skill, as catchlights stated. If your customer is very discerning and requires you to have an FX camera, then too bad la.

I'm troubled by your questioning because it seems you don't have confidence in yourself and/or your gear, and thus I think you shouldn't be taking up paid assignments yet. IF you are confident of yourself and your gear, you WOULDN'T be asking if D5000 is good enough.
You will confident say "here is my body of work, who says D5000 is not good enough??"

yes it is, as long the end result is fine, as catchlights mentioned skill is important
one body with one flash is not recommended, all the best

cheers

since you know it is a entry level camera, is design for beginner use, not for heavy duty.
you want use it as a workhorse, it may not withstand the abuse long enough.

professionals even bring backup body for D3, how many back up bodies you want to bring for the D5k?

As a main photographer, you SHOULD have the following :
(just my 2 cents)
1) 01 body with wide angle lens
2) 01 body with prime lens or zoom lens
3) Tripod (to me not necessary)
4) Flash
5) Extra batteries
6) Extra Memory Cards
7) cleaning accessories for your camera
8) Camera bag (i prefer to backpack my equipment, but some may choose to put all in their vest etc etc)

Main thing is to keep it SIMPLE but yet able to cover whatever shots that you intended to.

And, there are a list of shots which you MUST SHOOT, else 'congratulation' to you.

For me, i normally work in pairs and we will discuss the shots that we will be taking and move on from there. Oh, definitely you need to have a chat with the couple to see their preferences and shots which they would like to have too . . . and add in your list. There are a list of MUST HAVE shots even if you are not told to do it.

Hope this will help a little, the list is just my suggestion as a photographer, some may proposed otherwise. :)

since you know it is a entry level camera, is design for beginner use, not for heavy duty.
you want use it as a workhorse, it may not withstand the abuse long enough.

professionals even bring backup body for D3, how many back up bodies you want to bring for the D5k?

Backup body for D5k?? Urm... D3100... ;) :sweatsm:

Ergo: if D5K can do it, Sooooor can D3.1K!

Last edited:
yes it is, as long the end result is fine, as catchlights mentioned skill is important
one body with one flash is not recommended, all the best

cheers

So if I rent a D90 or D300 & bring along D5000 & use kit len + 200mm with 1 SB600 flash + 4 GP rechargeable batts, enough for full day wedding shots?