is D5000 + SB-600 suitable for Wedding shoot?

Thank you guys, I luv u all... LOL
I read this somewhere here in clubsnap

Newbies worry about camera bodies
Amateurs worry about lenses
Professionals worry about light

But of course, I'm sure you have that innate potential to take awe-inspiring shots... just not that experienced to grasp the gravity of the situation that you are in now.

Last edited:
actually, my cameras do have wedding mode and studio mode...... I can switch modes on the fly.

it is call shooting menu banks and custom setting banks. :)

Uncle Ben...

in your camera's wedding mode is YOU... ;) :thumbsup:

Ya I know about banks. I am using it now also. Cannot live without it anymore...

Just use the iphone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOoGjtSy7xY

im personally using the d5000. i find that its the equivalent of a d90 in terms of Image quality.
ive compared my shots with my friend's d90. d90 = semi pro camera.

so you do know that the d5000 is somewhat of a beginner to semi pro camera.

But for a wedding, i'd rather you build up your skills first, and then to shoot with whatever dslr you're using...bearing in mind the angle + lighting(indoors/outdoors) + shutter speed you need to use...

D90 is not semi-pro. D90 is enthusiast level cam.

D300 and D300s is semi-pro.

Sorry to break it you ya.

If you shooting for free. Yes it is enough.

If you intend to get paid for this, no it is not enough.

But I mean what's really wrong abt D5000? Aren't this also a DSLR? Y there's always ppl saying D5K is not suitable for wedding but never say the reason? If I charge client below market price as in around $500, is this cam suitable?

The thing is tat I wanna know y not suitable, not some same common remarks like not suitable. Bcos it's categories as entry level, not full frame, no AF motor, not expensive enough? It can still adjust aperture for DOF effect, adjust ISO, shutter speed, change lens, etc...

I don't know about others. I said your total gear is not enough. I never said D5k is not good enough.

For $500, D5000 works, but you need to pack a spare body in your bag. And kit lens is not enough. You will need a 17-55/2.8 or at least a Tamron/Sigma 17-50/2.8. Recommend you also bring a couple of backup lenses as well, maybe a 50/1.8 and the kit lens (if you want to keep it budget). One thing to note. Nowadays, most couples will ask you what camera you use. So be prepared to defend your choice of camera body. Better still, have amazing photos to show them it is the person not the camera (that is if you have the skill la).

For your Flash, you will need at least 2 more sets of extra batteries. So for SB600, you should pack 12 fully charged eneloops. For your cameras, you need at least 2 batteries each (I recommend 3 each). If the spare body shares the same batteries, just pack 3 will do.

And yes, your skill level needs to be there. If not, word gets around that you are a quack, it will kill your reputation. That is why it is better to wait till you are good enough before even considering offering as a service.

Hope this helps. Wish you all the best.

I don't know about others. I said your total gear is not enough. I never said D5k is not good enough.

For $500, D5000 works, but you need to pack a spare body in your bag. And kit lens is not enough. You will need a 17-55/2.8 or at least a Tamron/Sigma 17-50/2.8. Recommend you also bring a couple of backup lenses as well, maybe a 50/1.8 and the kit lens (if you want to keep it budget). One thing to note. Nowadays, most couples will ask you what camera you use. So be prepared to defend your choice of camera body. Better still, have amazing photos to show them it is the person not the camera (that is if you have the skill la).

For your Flash, you will need at least 2 more sets of extra batteries. So for SB600, you should pack 12 fully charged eneloops. For your cameras, you need at least 2 batteries each (I recommend 3 each). If the spare body shares the same batteries, just pack 3 will do.

And yes, your skill level needs to be there. If not, word gets around that you are a quack, it will kill your reputation. That is why it is better to wait till you are good enough before even considering offering as a service.

Hope this helps. Wish you all the best.

Don't mean to disrespect anybody here. Just at my age, I get invited to many weddings and birthdays function every now and then. The last ROM/wedding I attended was memorable. The same cannot be said about the photographer cum video cameraman. He was juggling two roles. There were a few highlights like the couple arriving into the hall with all the smoke effects and with an entourage of orang utans and hell riders on their Harleys. The point I wanted to make was the guy was videoing the entrance but didn't take any pics.

Whatever pics he took was so mediocre. Some were dark, others were blurr and worse, some looks like screen grab from the videos. The couple was obviously furious but what's done is done. For $1,000 the couple wanted video and photos but the mistake was awarding the job to some freelancer with a blog showing sunsets and street photography.

We have some pros here who are expert in their field but if you look carefully, there are also a small percentage of missed opportunities in a wedding scenarios. So for someone who has not done wedding photography and attempting to do it as a main photog is putting his reputation on the line. Finally to shoot all the helpful pros here is certainly not going to help especially TS is viewed as another business competitor.

Just my two cents.:cool:

Hey guys...how about the new D7000. Is it semi-pro or semi-semi-pro or enthusiast pro? :bsmilie::bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Semi this semi that... I think is simi-tio-um-si.... :bsmilie:

But for a simi-tio-um-si camera, I think it is an awesome body! Probably suitable for wedding shoots too!

Last edited:
D5000 is a great camera... TS, dslr is not always about what body you use :) Personally i think that D5000 is quite a good camera just that no shortcuts..the only think im pissed off with..haha
For your wedding, like someone mentioned, replace your lens with a f/2.8 lens and you will be able to cover just fine :)
Good luck man!!

Don't mean to disrespect anybody here. Just at my age, I get invited to many weddings and birthdays function every now and then. The last ROM/wedding I attended was memorable. The same cannot be said about the photographer cum video cameraman. He was juggling two roles. There were a few highlights like the couple arriving into the hall with all the smoke effects and with an entourage of orang utans and hell riders on their Harleys. The point I wanted to make was the guy was videoing the entrance but didn't take any pics.

Whatever pics he took was so mediocre. Some were dark, others were blurr and worse, some looks like screen grab from the videos. The couple was obviously furious but what's done is done. For $1,000 the couple wanted video and photos but the mistake was awarding the job to some freelancer with a blog showing sunsets and street photography.

We have some pros here who are expert in their field but if you look carefully, there are also a small percentage of missed opportunities in a wedding scenarios. So for someone who has not done wedding photography and attempting to do it as a main photog is putting his reputation on the line. Finally to shoot all the helpful pros here is certainly not going to help especially TS is viewed as another business competitor.

Just my two cents.:cool:

One person trying to do both stills and video is just asking for it. Seriously.

Different kinds of photography needs different kinds of shooting technique. Most lanscape photography is about preparation and set up in advance. Wedding photography is about being on the go.

I've shot one wedding as main photographer. I was not paid to do it and I advised the couple to get a pro, but the couple (close friends of me and my wife) insisted I do it for them against my recommendations. It is not easy. I made some mistakes but luckily the couple still loved their shots. Really need to know where to be, so you can be ahead of the action and be ready when it happens. And things happens very fast in a wedding in China. And they do not slow down for anyone, not even for the videographer or photographer. And yes, they made me drink as well.

Last edited:
Need a fast len with fixed 2.8, the composition changes very fast. Both couples need to appear in the wedding moment,,,,,

One person trying to do both stills and video is just asking for it. Seriously.

Different kinds of photography needs different kinds of shooting technique. Most lanscape photography is about preparation and set up in advance. Wedding photography is about being on the go.

I've shot one wedding as main photographer. I was not paid to do it and I advised the couple to get a pro, but the couple (close friends of me and my wife) insisted I do it for them against my recommendations. It is not easy. I made some mistakes but luckily the couple still loved their shots. Really need to know where to be, so you can be ahead of the action and be ready when it happens. And things happens very fast in a wedding in China. And they do not slow down for anyone, not even for the videographer or photographer. And yes, they made me drink as well.

Lucky Mate. Super X rice wine or XO? :bsmilie:

Lucky Mate. Super X rice wine or XO? :bsmilie:

The Chinese don't dig brandy.

Old Yellow wine and White wine (Wu Liang Ye)

Of course they have red also... but red wine is for sissies. LOL

Need fast lens, kit lens too slow in terms of focusing and aperture. By the way your first post mentioned 200mm lens, is that really with you? Never shot a wedding before but you need low light capabilities, which the D5000 can give, but your lens setup (kit lens) cannot.

Ya . . . f2.8 lens don't come cheap . . .

that is why we can't charge very low compare to the freelancers . . .

Uncle Ben...

in your camera's wedding mode is YOU... ;) :thumbsup:

Ya I know about banks. I am using it now also. Cannot live without it anymore...
:)

Yes, I encourage every Nikon D300 (and higher end models) users should make use of the shooting menu banks and custom setting banks.
They are very confusing at the first glance, but once ones know how to use them, it will be very useful to help photographer handle different situation at ease.

:)

Yes, I encourage every Nikon D300 (and higher end models) users should make use of the shooting menu banks and custom setting banks.
They are very confusing at the first glance, but once ones know how to use them, it will be very useful to help photographer handle different situation at ease.
Next time is D7000 and above :)

ts - like others have said, it is not about the equipment, it is how you use it.

even if you have 3 bodies 10 lens, doesn't mean you will deliver nice pictures.

i heard that the nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 is imba...replace it with your kit lens and you have everything covered since you also have a sb600 already.. :)

really think a f2.8 lens is needed for wedding...just to share, I attended a friend's wedding and the pg used a D300s + 18-200mmVR (I checked the exif)...he shot at f3.5 for group photos and Iso1600 and I was quite sure NR was rather high too...coz every photos that are not blurred are so soft...I wonder why sm1 would shoot with the 18-200mmVR for wedding...no matter what, the photos were disappointing..even my friend who didn't know much about photography got so upset by the pg...