Is crop body better for wildlife/ sport photography?

ssbcc

Mar 14, 2012
Just wondering if an APS-C camera is better for sports and wildlife shooting compared to a full frame one because of the crop factor?
Hoping that the experts on CS can enlighten me.

I would rephrase it as APS-C is more preferred due to the crop factor which gives the extra reach rather than saying it is better than full frame cameras....

Depends on the focal length required and the lenses you have available.

However, FF cameras generally have much better AF systems too (ignoring the cheap, stripped models like 6D, D600, etc).

undergrd said:
I would rephrase it as APS-C is more preferred due to the crop factor which gives the extra reach rather than saying it is better than full frame cameras....

Thanks for rephrasing it. That's what I meant. I haven't shot FF but it just seems that you lose that extra bit of reach without the crop factor.

Rashkae said:
Depends on the focal length required and the lenses you have available.

However, FF cameras generally have much better AF systems too (ignoring the cheap, stripped models like 6D, D600, etc).

I have a 70-300 and was thinking of shooting some football action and birds.

I take your point about the AF system. I have an A77, I think it has pretty good AF in good light.

Just wondering if an APS-C camera is better for sports and wildlife shooting compared to a full frame one because of the crop factor?

Both are great.

The difference is in the price.

personally i prefer a APS-C camera for sports/wildlife as it gives you an extra reach w/o the use of a teleconverter...

eg: using an 80-200mm on my D7000 (1.5x crop) gives me a range of 120-300mm @ f/2.8... whereas if you use a 80-200mm on a FF camera... you only get a range of 80-200mm... with a 1.4x TC, you will get a range of 112mm-280mm @ f/4...

as you can see you lose one stop with a 1.4x TC mounted on (may be a major factor if you shoot indoor sports) and with a TC mounted on, you may lose a little picture IQ (major turnoff for those who pixel peep or who are anal about picture IQ)..

of cos this are jus my personnal opinion :)

Last edited:

I wont say its better..but it just works differently. Read up what you gain and what you loose if you were to use APS-C for that matter. If it works for you. Then go ahead.

You should know..yea u can get extra reach for APS-C.. but ISO perf might not be as good. You might want to consider this if u shoot in low light. Then AF speed.etc etc.

Yes. .

Apart from the extended reach in an APS-C camera (as compared to a FF camera), the AF system of the said camera is also an important factor. Sometimes you are bounded by unfavorable lighting exposure, making it difficult to pin point your focus. Looking at many Canon bird shooters, preference of using a 1D4 (APS-H) over the 7D (APS-C) is obvious in the shooting field even though the crop factor is 1.3x vs 1.6x.

Just an observation. :)

Apart from the extended reach in an APS-C camera (as compared to a FF camera), the AF system of the said camera is also an important factor. Sometimes you are bounded by unfavorable lighting exposure, making it difficult to pin point your focus. Looking at many Canon bird shooters, preference of using a 1D4 (APS-H) over the 7D (APS-C) is obvious in the shooting field even though the crop factor is 1.3x vs 1.6x.

Just an observation. :)

Apparently the 1D4 has much more accurate AF.
LensRentals.com - Autofocus Reality Part 3B: Canon Cameras