Is Clubsnap a good place for newbies to buy second hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
forgot to mention that this guy left me only his email and when i sent him email about the lens he just ignored my email. So far I have't got any response from this guy.

u should post the guy's nick here to let everyone know bout him
so others can beware

I feel it is both the buyer and the seller who should be responsible for the deal. I symphatise with you for what ever that has happen, no use for me to say things like "you should have find out first from others etc etc...", so just treat this as a learning lesson. I have my fair share of "not so good" experience from Buy & Sell too.

For the seller (in your case), it is nice of you to "protect" the identity of the bad seller. But since he is outright cheating you, you can just put his CS id here to inform the rest of the community. Don't need to "preserve" his image/face, cause not much of an image/face left over. If you decide not to, pls PM me his nick so that I can avoid him, thanks!

Yea I agree with the above poster.. PM me his nick too.

You don't know him well, he's not your friend, he did something dishonest, why bother to protect him? In the end, he gains even more, while you lose. :nono:

edited*

Better still, PM or post his email... then we can ask him for you (aka disturb him...)

thank you guys for support. Sorry I made a mistake just now. He rated his lens as 10, not mint. Well, I pmed him again and see whether he will response me or not. if still not, then I will post his nick in this thread. I will pm you guys his nick right now.

....... And can you believe that I have seen a lot of them trying to sell their old stuff at even higher price than the new ones?? If you have not done enough research, you may be easily attracted by their so called low price. And one thing I don't understand is, seems that the culture of this forum is try to protect the seller instead of buyer, try to protect the old birds instead of newbies, and you are suggested to give them 'mian zi' not to point out that they are doing insane things! No offense.

So I learnt a lesson. Try not to buy expensive second hand stuff over here like lens if you are still newbie or at least ask someone more professional than you to accompany you.

While I empathize with you I will suggest that:

1. You read up and do your homework before buying anything not only here, but anywhere in Singapore or this world.

2. In this forum read up the guideline in buy and sell. In case you failed to read up, refer to this thread http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=8466 and especially this post http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=135580&postcount=2

3. because you failed to do your homework and seek assistance nor make the effort to acquire the knowledge in buying second hand items, DO NOT suggest nor accuse this forum of being bias to sellers. This type of suggestion is not only false and damaging to CS. I am certainly disappointed with such remarks.

I admit that I am not an old member of clubsnap, and I am still a newbie. Maybe that's why that I was cheated by a fellow cser. I have been very careful when i wanted to buy second hand from other cser. I believe most of the fellow csers are honest enough when they sell things in the Buy/Sell. But there still exists a lot of them who try to hide problems. Since we are newbies, we can go to those price lists to get familiar with the price of new cameras/lenses/filters/bags. but how about old ones? I dont know how you guys buy the second hand stuff.

Since I am not experienced, so I got cheated when buying a lens by a fellow cser. The guy (for his ****ing 'mian zi', not to point out his id here) rated the lens mint, and I didn' know how to check the lens condition at the time, I just shot some pics and didn't find any problem (how can u find out problem from ur camera's LCD?), so I trusted him and paid him the money. Then after I went back and gradually got time to shoot more pics I found serious problems, the lens just cannot produce sharp pics. Quality very bad that I have to use photoshop to increase contrast, saturation. Then someday when I just tried to look thru the lens I found why it gives that kind of pictures. The lens got very bad fungus and also some dust inside. To be frankly, this is the first time that i saw what the fungus is like, because i am a newbie. And this guy rated his lens as MINT! What a shame!!

And can you believe that I have seen a lot of them trying to sell their old stuff at even higher price than the new ones?? If you have not done enough research, you may be easily attracted by their so called low price. And one thing I don't understand is, seems that the culture of this forum is try to protect the seller instead of buyer, try to protect the old birds instead of newbies, and you are suggested to give them 'mian zi' not to point out that they are doing insane things! No offense.

So I learnt a lesson. Try not to buy expensive second hand stuff over here like lens if you are still newbie or at least ask someone more professional than you to accompany you.

i really hope that u can be more careful next time and i know how u would be feeling now because it is quite normal to whole some anger against that guys therefore next time i recommend u to check the amount of posts of a user be4 buying and mebbie view the lens once and send it to nsc with the seller for a check be4 buying(check cost covered by u)

While I empathize with you I will suggest that:

1. You read up and do your homework before buying anything not only here, but anywhere in Singapore or this world.

2. In this forum read up the guideline in buy and sell. In case you failed to read up, refer to this thread http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=8466 and especially this post http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=135580&postcount=2

3. because you failed to do your homework and seek assistance nor make the effort to acquire the knowledge in buying second hand items, DO NOT suggest nor accuse this forum of being bias to sellers. This type of suggestion is not only false and damaging to CS. I am certainly disappointed with such remarks.
hi sorry that I make you disappointed. Actually I like this forum very much. and I stay in the forum for very long time every day. I believe this is one of the best photography forums even in the world. I just wanted to share my buying experience with other newbie friends and this is also a good lesson for others. I didn't mean to blame the forum at all.

i really hope that u can be more careful next time and i know how u would be feeling now because it is quite normal to whole some anger against that guys therefore next time i recommend u to check the amount of posts of a user be4 buying and mebbie view the lens once and send it to nsc with the seller for a check be4 buying(check cost covered by u)
yes i will be more careful next time. This bad experience will not keep me away from buy/sell, no mention clubsnap. Clubsnap is still my most favorite website. I have learnt a lot from this website. I as buyer is also partly responsible for what happened. I hope the website's administors dont mind that I posted the guy's nick here. all in all, my lacking of experience does not justify his cheating behavior and his dishonest.

u should post the guy's nick here to let everyone know bout him
so others can beware

totally agreed .. make his name known to everyone in this forum ..
must mark this black sheep .. :devil:

... which is why the iTrader must be put back in place ? What happen to it anyway ?

some people are just crooks. always check check and check. dont trust anyone.

I admit that I am not an old member of clubsnap, and I am still a newbie. Maybe that's why that I was cheated by a fellow cser. I have been very careful when i wanted to buy second hand from other cser. I believe most of the fellow csers are honest enough when they sell things in the Buy/Sell. But there still exists a lot of them who try to hide problems. Since we are newbies, we can go to those price lists to get familiar with the price of new cameras/lenses/filters/bags. but how about old ones? I dont know how you guys buy the second hand stuff.

Since I am not experienced, so I got cheated when buying a lens by a fellow cser. The guy (for his ****ing 'mian zi', not to point out his id here) rated the lens mint, and I didn' know how to check the lens condition at the time, I just shot some pics and didn't find any problem (how can u find out problem from ur camera's LCD?), so I trusted him and paid him the money. Then after I went back and gradually got time to shoot more pics I found serious problems, the lens just cannot produce sharp pics. Quality very bad that I have to use photoshop to increase contrast, saturation. Then someday when I just tried to look thru the lens I found why it gives that kind of pictures. The lens got very bad fungus and also some dust inside. To be frankly, this is the first time that i saw what the fungus is like, because i am a newbie. And this guy rated his lens as MINT! What a shame!!

And can you believe that I have seen a lot of them trying to sell their old stuff at even higher price than the new ones?? If you have not done enough research, you may be easily attracted by their so called low price. And one thing I don't understand is, seems that the culture of this forum is try to protect the seller instead of buyer, try to protect the old birds instead of newbies, and you are suggested to give them 'mian zi' not to point out that they are doing insane things! No offense.

Seriously, you should always check the equipment you bought on the spot to ensure that it is what the seller said it was. No point crying over spilled milk.

Moreover, even if the seller had sold you a good piece of stuff, u mentioned that you only looked at the lens some time later to realise that there was dust and fungus. The result could always hv been ur own maintainance of the lens.

This forum is actually much better than some others I know like Yahoo Auction. It is interactive, and people can comment on ur items. You can post more pictures. And last but not least, most buyers and sellers meet up to deal. Yahoo Auction places the onus on the buyer to ask everything tt he/she needs to ask before bidding. Thereafter, you should honour the bid that you placed.

there's not many other decent places to buy 2nd hand gear at least for singapore.

so if one fears as a newbie, perhaps its better to buy new or from shops. CS itself is a good platform, you are getting your money's worth in a free market of supply and demand in 2nd hand equipment and lenses.

This is unlike some shops that i had gone for a look, ready to bargain down the price of taking in your mint lens at a ridiculous price, and selling the similar lense used at a super unscrupulous price aka chopping people who are not familiar with used market prices.

Agree. I think you should reveal this guy sooner or later. Anyway, be more careful when you buy lenses. Do some checking before paying and do some homework before buying. I understand how you feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.