is canon 30d or nikon 200d worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

corporal007

May 19, 2006
im quite unsure about the selling price of the two above cameras' selling price in singapore.i heard that canon 30d recently was out of stock in singapore and the price shot skyhigh.

if i bought any of the two which one brand provides a more affordable lens? thanks 4 your help.

define yr affordable... :)

check out the prices from shops then you will know.

d200 is a bit more expensive, len can go for 3rd party, generally they are about the same not much difference, but regard whether is the 30d or d200, if you are able to make gd use of it & shoot great photo, then it the photo that worth the value(money):)

sunflowerworm said:
d200 is a bit more expensive, len can go for 3rd party, generally they are about the same not much difference, but regard whether is the 30d or d200, if you are able to make gd use of it & shoot great photo, then it the photo that worth the value(money):)

yeaps, D200 is more expensive as compared to Canon's 30D.

y would u wanna go to 3rd party lens unless u're talking about the Angenieux AF28-70 f2.6-2.8(which is surprisingly oh-so-GOOD!)when Nikkors are way beta?

buy a good body but invest in sub-standard lenses? definitely not on D200.

so u guys think that lens are more important than the body?when comparing same lens of same config from both canon and nikon which brand is more price friendly?

corporal007 said:
so u guys think that lens are more important than the body?when comparing same lens of same config from both canon and nikon which brand is more price friendly?

u definitely need good lenses to go with high MP DSLRs.
i think u should make ur purchases based on what the individual systems can offer to u as a fotographer and ur area of interest in fotography.

each system has their own area of strong points, which has been debated and discussed to death. u can try to run a Search in CS and check out the differences. :thumbsup:

hey thanks.i will check it up.im quitew interested in portrait and sports photograhy,what type of lens do you recommend?i mean those in the affordable range.

you really need to define what is affordable.

for portraits, canon's definitive portrait lens is the monster 85mm F/1.2L. but that will set you back $3k+... alternatively there is also a 85mm F/1.8 which is under $1k.

similarly, for sports, you can opt for an Image stabilised 70-200mm 2.8 constant aperture zoom, for close to $3k...

there are also cheaper zooms , but without IS and with higher aperture ranges..

it is definitely worth spending money on good glass. the reason is because lenses will outlast the lifespan of your bodies.

also, whilst you will lose quite a lot when you sell your DSLR 2nd hand in a year or 2, lens prices are very stable...

if you look over at buy and sell forums, you will see many of the high quality or better quality lenses going for only 10-20% off their sale price, and these can be a few years old.

even the crappy canon 50mm F/1.8, which retails for about $130, fetches $100 in the 2nd hand market.

if you buy and use the camera (either one), it is worth the money.

if you buy and keep the camera in drybox display, not worth $$$.

jdredd said:

for portraits, canon's definitive portrait lens is the monster 85mm F/1.2L. but that will set you back $3k+... alternatively there is also a 85mm F/1.8 which is under $1k.

similarly, for sports, you can opt for an Image stabilised 70-200mm 2.8 constant aperture zoom, for close to $3k...

it is definitely worth spending money on good glass. the reason is because lenses will outlast the lifespan of your bodies.

also, whilst you will lose quite a lot when you sell your DSLR 2nd hand in a year or 2, lens prices are very stable...

if you look over at buy and sell forums, you will see many of the high quality or better quality lenses going for only 10-20% off their sale price, and these can be a few years old.

even the crappy canon 50mm F/1.8, which retails for about $130, fetches $100 in the 2nd hand market.

don't mislead, the 50mm f1.8 is NOT crappy...

jdredd said:

as for what you've siad,im very much willing to spend 1000+ but very limited budget.from what you've said,im thinking on canon 50.. f/1.8 and canon 700-300mm lens.do you think f3.5-5.6 very small aperture for sports?i love to take outdoor stuff.btw can that tele be use 4 portraits on its widest at 70mm?

djork said:
don't mislead, the 50mm f1.8 is NOT crappy...

heh. sorry my bad.. by crappy i was referring to BQ, not its optical quality.

no one doubts it produces very sharp pics..

corporal007 said:
as for what you've siad,im very much willing to spend 1000+ but very limited budget.from what you've said,im thinking on canon 50.. f/1.8 and canon 700-300mm lens.do you think f3.5-5.6 very small aperture for sports?i love to take outdoor stuff.btw can that tele be use 4 portraits on its widest at 70mm?

if you are going with canon, read here about all the recommendations for various lenses..

http://www.the-digital-picture.com

since you're into portraits and sports, you can get:
canon 30d + 70-200(IS or not)
nikon d200 + 70/80-200(VR or not)

both tele lenses are great for sports(a bit short though) and portraits. both setups will cost you ~$5500

What's your overall budget? Do you really need such a good body? If I were just starting out, I would personally get a cheaper body (ie D70s) and buy better lenses. The D200 doesn't come with a kit lens, which translates into higher startup costs. Think about what you want to achieve first (do you need the high FPS of the D200? The higher MP? How big are you going to blow your pictures anyway? Do you need the robust professional built?), and then find the camera to match your needs. No point getting a 1Ds MkII or D2X and use it for casual family gatherings once in a blue moon.

justarius said:
What's your overall budget? Do you really need such a good body? If I were just starting out, I would personally get a cheaper body (ie D70s) and buy better lenses. The D200 doesn't come with a kit lens, which translates into higher startup costs. Think about what you want to achieve first (do you need the high FPS of the D200? The higher MP? How big are you going to blow your pictures anyway? Do you need the robust professional built?), and then find the camera to match your needs. No point getting a 1Ds MkII or D2X and use it for casual family gatherings once in a blue moon.

agree! i also want D200, but no money... haa haa

if u really want a D200, espn doing a mo now...

justarius said:

im setting myself a budget of around 4000k.im not too sure how much is the d200 in singapore.how much is the canon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 sold in singapore?im thinking of getting my gear at MS color.so wad do you think?

corporal007 said:
im setting myself a budget of around 4000k.im not too sure how much is the d200 in singapore.how much is the canon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 sold in singapore?im thinking of getting my gear at MS color.so wad do you think?

4000k :bigeyes: :bigeyes: 4 Mil = 6.67 Peanuts :bsmilie:

Assuming you want to do both potraits and sports.

350D with grip - 1.7k

EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - 1.2k

EF 85mm f/1.8 - 0.7k

430ex - 0.4k

works out to 4k :)

Status
Not open for further replies.