is canon 30d or nikon 200d worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
corporal007 said:
im setting myself a budget of around 4000k.im not too sure how much is the d200 in singapore.how much is the canon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 sold in singapore?im thinking of getting my gear at MS color.so wad do you think?

4k? Then don't set your sights on D200 or 30D... wouldn't be able to get a comprehensive kit... a D70s or 350D would be a better bet.

4K?? maybe D200 + 18-200 VR just enough :bigeyes:

canon 20d is cheaper still. u may like to consider that.

user111 said:
canon 20d is cheaper still. u may like to consider that.

from what i found out,shop no longer stock 20d anymore(MS color).does anyone know how much are they selling canon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 len at those camera shop?i dun think of getting a len wif IS.useless since im taking photo wif tripod.at the lower end of tele i think can also take portrait will a flattering perspective.

buy online, 2nd hand. search here. that is where u cut cost

corporal007 said:
from what i found out,shop no longer stock 20d anymore(MS color).does anyone know how much are they selling canon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 len at those camera shop?i dun think of getting a len wif IS.useless since im taking photo wif tripod.at the lower end of tele i think can also take portrait will a flattering perspective.

If you're thinking of the Canon 70-300, why not consider the sigma 70-300? Practical Photography (May2006) scored the sigma70-300 better than the canon70-300.

Personally, I have the sigma 70-300 and am quite satisfied with its image quality. Bear in mind I'm a newbie and have not tested the canon 70-300 myself :)

do you really need a 30d or nikon 200d?

sometimes i think we worry more about equipment than taking good photos =P

i would get a cheaper body and some sweet lenses.

Maybe you should think along this equation:

body + lens + flash + bag + extra batteries + extra flash cards = 4K

If you are going to take portraits with a tripod then you shloud try a 350D + 70-200 f/2.8 (or f/4)

If you go for the 2.8 option that leaves you with very little money left as the 2.8 is about 2k+ new. If you can find it second hand you might be able to get it cheaper. Also remember to budget froa dry cabinet and bag and otehr acesories as mentioned before.

for the coporal:

if u buy everything used, online, over here at the buy and sell section, this is how it works out:

1. EOS 300d with grip: $1000 maximum (or EOS 20d with grip $1700 maximum)
assuming that it comes with at least a charger and at least one BP511 batteries
2. EFfs 18-55: $100
3. EF 70-300 (there are a few versions): from $ 200 to $ 600
4. 380EX: $200 maximum or 420EX $300 maximum
5. 1GB cf card: $100 maximum

then your total cost is anywhere from $1600 to $2800 based on the different combinations available

advise:
1.do not spend money on bags. any simple bag that has enough capacity hold all your gear will be useable. the keyword is useable. photography-dedicated bags (eg lowepro) are a luxury item.
2. do not spend money on LCD protectors, handgrips, neoprene neckstraps, eyecups, omnibounces, lightspheres, and other funny accessories. i have tried them all and....really at the end of the day all i can say is : i eventually realised that i do not really need them and i will never ever need them again and they have never made any difference to my pictures.
you may however like to make your own DIY bouncecard for flash. in addition, you may also however think of investing in a roll of gaffer tape, if u havent already heard of them.

for the flash, i leave it up to u whether to use alkaline or rechargeables

user111 said:
for the coporal:

if u buy everything used, online, over here at the buy and sell section, this is how it works out:

1. EOS 300d with grip: $1000 maximum (or EOS 20d with grip $1700 maximum)
assuming that it comes with at least a charger and at least one BP511 batteries
2. EFfs 18-55: $100
3. EF 70-300 (there are a few versions): from $ 200 to $ 600
4. 380EX: $200 maximum or 420EX $300 maximum
5. 1GB cf card: $100 maximum

then your total cost is anywhere from $1600 to $2800 based on the different combinations available

advise:
1.do not spend money on bags. any simple bag that has enough capacity hold all your gear will be useable. the keyword is useable. photography-dedicated bags (eg lowepro) are a luxury item.
2. do not spend money on LCD protectors, handgrips, neoprene neckstraps, eyecups, omnibounces, lightspheres, and other funny accessories. i have tried them all and....really at the end of the day all i can say is : i eventually realised that i do not really need them and i will never ever need them again and they have never made any difference to my pictures.
you may however like to make your own DIY bouncecard for flash. in addition, you may also however think of investing in a roll of gaffer tape, if u havent already heard of them.

for the flash, i leave it up to u whether to use alkaline or rechargeables

ok tkx bro.tt what i intend to do.but im not thinking of getting any flash.i think its kinda 'extra' by producing a fake color tone ie making the face or whatsoever brighter thus not in orginal color.

does anyone think that i should only get the body version and not one that comes with the kit lens?i read some review that getting a canon 50mm f1.8 is more worth the money?is this true?

corporal007 said:
but im not thinking of getting any flash.i think its kinda 'extra' by producing a fake color tone ie making the face or whatsoever brighter thus not in orginal color.

:nono: don't discount the power of the external flash... its one of the most useful item you have to get... it does wonders to your pictures....

corporal007 said:
ok tkx bro.tt what i intend to do.but im not thinking of getting any flash.i think its kinda 'extra' by producing a fake color tone ie making the face or whatsoever brighter thus not in orginal color.

does anyone think that i should only get the body version and not one that comes with the kit lens?i read some review that getting a canon 50mm f1.8 is more worth the money?is this true?

An external flash if used properly can do wonders for your pictures. YOu just have to watch how much you expose for the ambient light or you can get a wierd colour cast.. I recently did and indoor shoot with a 430 EX and the colours and lighitng loked natural enough for me. I agree about user111's comment about light spheres and stuff as they are easily DIY'ed.

As for the 50/1.8 alot of people recommened getting that as its a very sharp lens and only costs about $128 new (via uncle Oracle) I belive he still has some pieces from his latest batch..

raptor84 said:
An external flash if used properly can do wonders for your pictures. YOu just have to watch how much you expose for the ambient light or you can get a wierd colour cast.. I recently did and indoor shoot with a 430 EX and the colours and lighitng loked natural enough for me. I agree about user111's comment about light spheres and stuff as they are easily DIY'ed.

As for the 50/1.8 alot of people recommened getting that as its a very sharp lens and only costs about $128 new (via uncle Oracle) I belive he still has some pieces from his latest batch..

who is uncle oracle?im thinking of getting the set from MS color at amk.Heard its quite ok there.btw what do everyone mean by fill flash.do you use the flash for fill in effect?

Personally...cameras and lens are a damn waste of money......

till, you shot that beautiful smile of your model, that rare shot of a insect, or the beautiful scenery of the countryside...

and you know every dollar and cent has not gone down the drain...

and of cos...i am still trying to get one of those shots..

cannonball said:
Personally...cameras and lens are a damn waste of money......

till, you shot that beautiful smile of your model, that rare shot of a insect, or the beautiful scenery of the countryside...

and you know every dollar and cent has not gone down the drain...

and of cos...i am still trying to get one of those shots..

o yea i agree with you dude.kinda its a vvv expensive hobby just like golf.hmm but the thoughts of getting good photos will cancel the bad aura.im wondering how can people take such a close up photo of insects eg can see its distinctive features.anyone can enlightment me?

corporal007 said:
o yea i agree with you dude.kinda its a vvv expensive hobby just like golf.hmm but the thoughts of getting good photos will cancel the bad aura.im wondering how can people take such a close up photo of insects eg can see its distinctive features.anyone can enlightment me?

usually is crop the pics or use a macro lens with 1:1

if you want take macro... get a D200 with the 105mm Macro lens...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

oh ya... and also get a SB800 to do fill in flash.

corporal007 said:
who is uncle oracle?im thinking of getting the set from MS color at amk.Heard its quite ok there.btw what do everyone mean by fill flash.do you use the flash for fill in effect?

This is Oracle. I think MS sells canon 50/1.8 for $135.. not sure about nikon's and yes it is quite ok.

Fill flash is when you do not need flash as a main light but to fill upshadows cast by natural light or to compensate for a very strong backlight.

oo ok.i will check ms color out with your latest quotation.tkx.o ya i went PC show 2006 just now; saw d200 soo ex.slightly less than 3k.i think by buying the 30d, i can use the remaining sum to buy more lens.true? by comparing 30d and d200 r they almost the same and both r as value for money at their stated selling price ba.

Status
Not open for further replies.