Is buying F100 a step back??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illidan

Nov 15, 2004
hi guys. i'm currently using a Nikon F80. been using it for 4 yrs now. feel the kick to get a new camera. but kinda realise DSLR is getting more n more popular. but i still feel like getting a film camera like F100. so am i taking a step back if i buy F100?? or should i follow the trend n get a DSLR. coz kinda more use to using film than digital.

No such thing as taking a step back. You are just progressing in the mediu of photography you enjoy using.

Yup, you should be buying F5 or F6 at least.

TMC said:
No such thing as taking a step back. You are just progressing in the mediu of photography you enjoy using.

Even though I'm not a fan of the F100.

IMHO, if you don't need it for work/making a living, you are taking a step in the right direction. Buying a digital camera is taking a step back.

Illidan said:
hi guys. i'm currently using a Nikon F80. been using it for 4 yrs now. feel the kick to get a new camera. but kinda realise DSLR is getting more n more popular. but i still feel like getting a film camera like F100. so am i taking a step back if i buy F100?? or should i follow the trend n get a DSLR. coz kinda more use to using film than digital.

if u're using film more than digital, why not? no one (unless they happened to be equipment wankers or 'professional' snobs) will say film camera can't take good pics.

price-wise, the F100+grip is still priced too close to a F5 locally. honestly, i rather go for the F5, if all things being equalled. mind u tho... for some strange reason, the nikon engineers really snafued the design of F5's focussing screen. the AF points are lighted up in BLACK, not RED... so, u might have a problem using it in dim/nite photography unless u spend some $ to change the focussing screen for the F5. the F100 is lighted up the 'normal' way.

Illidan said:
but kinda realise DSLR is getting more n more popular. but i still feel like getting a film camera like F100. so am i taking a step back if i buy F100?? or should i follow the trend n get a DSLR. .

yes it is true most people will feel this way i.e. buying film is a step backwards compared to buying DSLR, given the current trends

F80 -> F100 is a good upgrade. Definitely not a step back. I own a F100 myself, its better than F5, IMO... Only drawback is the lack of the rewinder and databack.
Don't go digital la, u will miss the wide angle lenses... :devil: :devil:

slacker123 said:
F100 is merely a stripped down version of the F5, its a great great camera.

Not to be taken too seriously, just want to share...

I've been watching CSI the tv show, saw on one episode the Nikon camera that they used was the F100, therefore it's a great camera. Enjoyed the show very much :)

runes said:
Not to be taken too seriously, just want to share...

I've been watching CSI the tv show, saw on one episode the Nikon camera that they used was the F100, therefore it's a great camera. Enjoyed the show very much :)

dun forget the way cool macro flash set up! the last few episodes of CSI: Miami has been featuring the F100 + macro flash. for CSI: Las Vegas, they have been using a more mixed bag of cameras. ;p

OT: must :kok: icarus... :bsmilie:

Nothing is a step backwards. Even if your equipments are of an older model but I'm sure your skills would be making a step forward right? The longer you shoot the better you'll get.

nightwolf75 said:

hahaa :sticktong :bsmilie:

nightwolf75 said:
if u're using film more than digital, why not? no one (unless they happened to be equipment wankers or 'professional' snobs) will say film camera can't take good pics.

price-wise, the F100+grip is still priced too close to a F5 locally. honestly, i rather go for the F5, if all things being equalled. mind u tho... for some strange reason, the nikon engineers really snafued the design of F5's focussing screen. the AF points are lighted up in BLACK, not RED... so, u might have a problem using it in dim/nite photography unless u spend some $ to change the focussing screen for the F5. the F100 is lighted up the 'normal' way.

which focus screen should we change into ? ... :embrass:

By changing the focusing screen on the F5, I believe, you will not be able to get it 'lighted' like the F100.

Funny, I changed my F5 focusing screen to the split screen, therefore no lighting up whatsoever, red, black or otherwise. Don't worry about the lighting up, you will get use to it; besides, in low light, manual focusing through a split screen can (but not necessarily) be faster.

If you have the budget, go for F6, if not get F100+grip. 2nd hand F100+grip cost approx 1500 - 1600 dollars. Quite a good buy, really.

I own a F80 too. 2 yrs old. Planning to get a F100+grip and a Epson Perfection 4490 scanner too. I am getting best of both worlds with huge savings.

Bernard Ong said:
If you have the budget, go for F6, if not get F100+grip. 2nd hand F100+grip cost approx 1500 - 1600 dollars. Quite a good buy, really.

Actually, we've been seeing mint condition F100+MB15 going for S$950 or less on B&S...

nightwolf75 said:
dun forget the way cool macro flash set up! the last few episodes of CSI: Miami has been featuring the F100 + macro flash. for CSI: Las Vegas, they have been using a more mixed bag of cameras. ;p

I thot I saw 1 episode of CSI:Las Vegas that the officer use a Nikon digiam 5700, then someone stole her memory card with all the evidence...
(they dont have budget to buy a D2X?:think: )

Status
Not open for further replies.