Is bare body for man allowed in public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poh6702

May 8, 2004
In my condo, there is a man doing exercise in the morning wearing only shorts and shoes but bare body, there are complains from few ladies about this. I need to know where we stand from Singapore Law point of view before decide how to approach him. Tried searching the Web, but can't find any thing about bare body for man in the public area.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

For a legally correct answer please contact a lawyer. In addition, you may check the house rules of your condo. Very likely it is not illegal, rather inappropriate.
But then, why do you need such a legal clarification before approaching him? The law does not define everything in detail, a lot of things are common sense, awareness, tolerance. That's the level you should approach him at for things that other people consider as inappropriate.

Isn't it a very common sight where man wear swimming trunks and working around in the condo ?
Unless the man also worn the same shorts in the lift with others women after running.
Then that is not appropriate.

if he's ugly I think the women might mind
if he's got a hot bod maybe women would be bothered by it in another way

Hmmm, that is part of condo living. Best is to have someone that is able to persuade him not to display his ugly body but to cover up till he build up his six packs.

BYW house rules need to be pass in an AGM if you are thinking of changing any.

Isn't it a very common sight where man wear swimming trunks and working around in the condo ?
Unless the man also worn the same shorts in the lift with others women after running.
Then that is not appropriate.

Actually he is middle aged and quite good body, the last complains came from mothers who has young daughter.

Hmmm, that is part of condo living. Best is to have someone that is able to persuade him not to display his ugly body but to cover up till he build up his six packs.

BYW house rules need to be pass in an AGM if you are thinking of changing any.

Six packs?

Six-Pack-Beer-2.jpg

Erm, there are loads of people running top-naked in East Coast Park... Ditto for swimming pool and beaches.

I don't see any issue from the standpoint of the law, actually. But if you are uncomfortable you can always try to explain it nicely to him, I'm sure if you're reasonable he might listen.

Erm, there are loads of people running top-naked in East Coast Park... Ditto for swimming pool and beaches.

I don't see any issue from the standpoint of the law, actually. But if you are uncomfortable you can always try to explain it nicely to him, I'm sure if you're reasonable he might listen.
That is the whole problem, as long as it is not against Singapore Law and noting spell out in the Condo By-law about dress code, we don't have the right to enforce. On the other hand residents can also complains, we can only bring the complains to the guy.

That is the whole problem, as long as it is not against Singapore Law and noting spell out in the Condo By-law about dress code, we don't have the right to enforce. On the other hand residents can also complains, we can only bring the complains to the guy.
So you are working there as condo guard? In that case you should have a legal adviser in your company.
Working as a mediator for pet animal related issues I can only recommend to you: drop all legal stuff, it won't help at all. What really works is honest and open communication. In many cases, people causing complains are simply not aware of what they do / cause. On the other hand, many people starting to complain have made certain conclusions about their own rights which are mostly wrong (wrong sense of entitlement). You need to balance between both poles. Approach the guy and talk to him nicely, without mentioning the existing complains. Talk to the mother as well. Sometimes people just need a listener and the actual complaint is not really a problem.

Erm, how would you like it if I came up to you and said that I prefer to see you with everything wrapped up, only your eyes. My little daughter is not used to seeing any part of men's bodies, only the eyes.. How I wish the law or condo by law cater for people who don't cover up like you.

Try to put yourself in people's shoes.. I don't think it's very indecent to have top naked men if they're exercising?!

Everyone has differing standards of what's deemed decent.. We should try to communicate nicely with each other instead of immediately resorting to brandishing laws and regulations.. I feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: kei1309
Sound like the mother is complaining to the condo Management.

Most condo normally would have some one from legal practice to be the Legal Adviser.

Everyone has differing standards of what's deemed decent.. We should try to communicate nicely with each other instead of immediately resorting to brandishing laws and regulations.. I feel.
I'm not a religious person, but 'Amen' to that.

STOMP!

Or you could just tell the one lady (or is it ladies) that it is none of her business. She also got complain about people in swimming pool ?

Shih Tung

Doubt it's illegal. If it were, shirtless void deck uncles wouldn't be such a common sight :bsmilie:

Appearing nude in public or private place
27A.—(1) Any person who appears nude —
(a)
in a public place; or
(b)
in a private place and is exposed to public view,
shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months or to both.
(2) For the purpose of this section, the reference to a person appearing nude includes a person who is clad in such a manner as to offend against public decency or order.
(3) Where an offence under this section is committed in a private place, it shall be lawful for a police officer to enter the private place without the authority of the owner or occupier of the private place to effect the arrest of the offender.
(4) In effecting entry under subsection (3), it shall be lawful for a police officer to use such force as may be necessary to enter the private place.

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/sear...8d9a4" Status:inforce Depth:0;rec=0#pr27A-he-.

sigh.....2014 but 770 BC mentality

tell the government to ban wrestling / boxing TV shows !! those nudists hug with each others !! and sometime their lower body rub on each others..

Last edited:
In my condo, there is a man doing exercise in the morning wearing only shorts and shoes but bare body, there are complains from few ladies about this. I need to know where we stand from Singapore Law point of view before decide how to approach him. Tried searching the Web, but can't find any thing about bare body for man in the public area.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Many good advices here

The point is the law didn't clearly define this. But what the law can point is about causing public disturbances or nuisance or disturbing the peace. (Think about cases where people complain about neighbor cooking curry and the smell is disturbing). The police can't order to stop cooking curry, they can only plead with the neighbors to compromise with each other.

I think this is the probably one legal rule that u can use. Even this rule is vague.

But then since this is a condo, the guy can argue that what if he exercise next to the pool. Pools are where men have to be bare bodied. Nothing wrong with him doing that, right?

No ending to arguments.....

I teach you tai chi. first say you're not a lawyer and need to check by-laws and Sg statutes.

then ask your security company legal provider.

read out answer from script

Status
Not open for further replies.