Is Australia safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

megkris

Jun 12, 2004
East/west
Hi all,

Am heading to Australiia with wife, 2 grandmums, 2 kids for a free and easy holiday.

Do you think its safe to bring along

17Pbook
DSLR
17-55
70-200
flash...

? :dunno:

Generally it is safe provided u dont leave ya stuff around.

Base on my experience I had to bring nappies, extra clothings... I just brought 1 camera body and 1 prime 50mm for holiday trips.

which part of oz u going?
once i was at sydney with a few frds... den these bunch of australians start scolding us... u farking chinese.... den we walked aways scolding.. KNN CCB! lolz!

overall.. i still think oz is pretty safe... hmm.. but some are racists .. becareful!

RuthBaby said:
once i was at sydney with a few frds... den these bunch of australians start scolding us... u farking chinese.... den we walked aways scolding.. KNN CCB! lolz!

overall.. i still think oz is pretty safe... hmm.. but some are racists .. becareful!

Haha..... I've been here for 20 odd years but haven't been called such name yet.

Maybe I am lucky?

i encountered frequent name calling in the late 80s' in Melbourne.... :(

But its safe enough in the city area...

megkris said:
Hi all,

Am heading to Australiia with wife, 2 grandmums, 2 kids for a free and easy holiday.

Do you think its safe to bring along

17Pbook
DSLR
17-55
70-200
flash...

? :dunno:

If you have a wife, 2 grandmums and 2 kids safeguarding you, what are you afraid of coming here? :sweatsm:

megkris said:
.. 2 grandmums, 2 kids for a free and easy holiday.
.. 17Pbook

What's 17-inch PowerBook got to do with 2 grand mothers and 2 kids?

I feel Melbourne is safe as Singapore....unless you are the kind that flashes his gold chain and fat wallet around town lor. Try not to carry too much gear...u should know what you going to shoot that day. select your lens carefully lor.
Dun think it is ideal to bring your laptop/notebook around. Unless you are planning to go for a faraway trip. abit here and there will eventually weight quite a fair bit.

If you walk around Melbourne. Dun miss the Shrine of Remembrance in the evening.....a great place for landscape. Buy a full day ticket if you plan to use public transport...coz you can use trams trains and buses altogether the whole day. cost about $9 dollars per person. Trams is the best mode of transport...u can see the asian suburbs like BoxHill or Richmond. Tram109 will take you there...if you wait in front of Myer or David Jones Department stores in the city...When you reach Box Hill, you can take the train across the road in a predominantly chinese/asians shopping strips....
On the same tram, you will pass Richmond, a vietnamese suburb too....these areas is very safe in daytime.....night time quiet...due to most shops closed around 7pm.

:thumbsup: Have fun

australia is safe...just avoid places selling liquor and drunkards.

Safe enough and I feel, as safe as SG if you are a bit careful. Mind you, SGians are a bit careless at times, leaving their bags open and stuff around :nono: . Don't. Act defensively esp with expensive equipment around, just like anywhere.

I went around Melbourne alone with my bag last year for a trip back. Shot late at night still no trouble.

Bring along a tripod with a hard head, in case you meet some nasty people you can swing at them with it. Manfrotto legs + Giztto head recommended.

As a general rule Australia is very safe for tourists, hwoever there are a few ground rules travellers should consider.

1) Never leave camera kit or bags in open view in an unattended vehicle, or in the Glove box. Local car thieves frequently target hire cars for a quick break in.

2) Don't give your camera to strangers to take photos of you and your group. This one requires a bit of clarification, 9 times out of 10 you'll be safe in doing this but it's the 1 in 10 snatch and run type of thief that often haunts well known tourist traps such as the rocks.

3) Keep a copy of serial numbers etc for all your kit with you and also in your luggage. This way if your gear is stolen you can give the police serial numbers which greatly enhances the chances of equipment recovery.

I've never had a problem here in Australia when shooting but it pays to be on your guard.

RuthBaby said:

I have been in Sydney for the last 8 years, never encounter such a problem... uhm... must be unlucky one...

Sydney is pretty safe, just be more careful when you put your valuable unattended. Well, if it is valuable and you leave it unattended, and it got stolen, you are the one to blame, no one else...

Common sense prevail...

Melbournian are friendlier but the weather is highly unpredictable...
rain-shiny-hot-windy... all that can happen in just few hours time..

Sydney is pretty damn hot now..

Hart

akane said:
australia is safe...just avoid places selling liquor and drunkards.

Ha ha, so where do they sell drunkards here haha
(joking)

Australia is safe, just use common sense that you would in most countries.

Personally, I would not travel on a Sydney subway late at night with my camera.
I would not have any problem doing so in either Sydney or Brisbane in daytime.
The same goes for my laptop.

I would apply the same thought to parks etc.

Have a nice stay.... I am shure you will !

RuthBaby said:

I think those Asians who live here long enough know how not to attract attention.

Generally we avoid loud shirts. we roll up the collars, wear a floppy hat and dark sunglasses. And we don't speak in high pitch. We whisper. When we go out we try to avoid places with people. The supermarkets close at midnight. That's when you see us out shopping. When we wait for buses we always stand in the shadows or hide behind a tree.

We also avoid eye contacts with people and walk with our heads down. When being spoken to we nod or shake our heads or use hand gestures. You'll be left alone if they know you are silent.

Any country u go in the world is unsafe if you're at the wrong place at the wrong time. I've spent 2 years in Melbourne and it is generally safe. Things to note:

1) As already mentioned, dress simple. The notion is not to attract attention. It's ok in fact it looks cool to dress messy at times.

2) Don't look blur blur. That again attracts attention. I've been to places the first time, but act as though I've been there many times.

3) Don't wonder into street alleys or take 'short cuts'.

4) Put your wallet in your front pockets (or have cash belts concealed under shirt)

5) Look carefully when crossing streets (even if its your right). Some drivers there can be reckless. Accident rates in australia is one of the highest in the world.

You'll be fine.

theITguy said:
Bring along a tripod with a hard head, in case you meet some nasty people you can swing at them with it. Manfrotto legs + Giztto head recommended.

I would highly recommend a monopod (manfrotto). Can be used as baton and staff (extendable to your choice) when the need arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.