Is all Sony lenses suitable for FF body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruno84sg

Jul 12, 2007
North
Is all the Sony lenses, e.g. SAL28mm F2.8, suitable for FF body?
If not, how to see if it's suitable for FF body? e.g. for Nikon, lens for FF is indicated wif FX.

Sony's crop format lenses have the "DT" label.

A850/900 can select full frame of APS-C.
so all lenses can be used. just that APS-C lenses can only do up to 11m picture size. the camera will auto select.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/klovir/

I'm referring to those Sony lenses that actually designed for FF body. Cuz I dun wan to get a DT lenses, as mentioned by Dominum, & get cropped when using in a FF body. So it defeat the benefit of using FF.

sorry, can give some e.g.? cuz on Sony website, i can't see the label 'DT'

FF body lens from sony are as follow sal 50 f 1.4 ,50mm 2.8 macro,70-200mm G 2.8,100mm f 2.8 Macro,CZ 24-70mm f 2.8, 16-35 f2.8,T-Planner 85mm f1.4, T-planner 135mm F1.8.:bsmilie:cheers.

So far there are only a few DT lenses:

11-18mm
16-80mm
16-105mm
18-55mm
18-70mm
18-200mm
18-250mm
30mm Macro
50mm f1.8

I think that should be all, the rest are all FF lenses.

Also take note that some 3rd party lenses (Sigma and Tamron) are also design for APS-C only.

I think, for Sigma is DC lenses. Not sure about Tamron though. However, I usually read the lens spec 1st to know if it is design for APS-C or FF.

Just saw you looking for FF A850 or A900 at BNS. Good luck!

Below are some patterns of labeling for Sony lenses:

SAL --Sony alpha lens

SAL####Z
Z for Carl Zeiss-- the legendary lenses, #### shows the focal range

SAL##F##,
F for fixed focal length lenses or prime lenses, first ## indicates Focal Length, second ## indicates largest aperture

SAL##M##,
M for Macro lens which are normally of fixed focal length, there are zoom lenses with macro label on them but they don't delivery the 1:1 magnification fixed macro lenses do

SAL####G,
G for Sony's high quality premium lenses. respect

SAL##TC
TC for teleconverter

SSM for Super Sonic Wave Motor
eg.70-300mm F4.5 -5.6 G SSM

Non-full frame lenses are marked with DT after SAL####, you can find it on the description pages of the DT lenses. No DT means full frame
eg.SAL16105 DT 16 - 105mm F3.5 - 5.6, you can find this on lens barrel as well

Full frame lenses are those without DT in their descriptions or on lens barrels

Sony seems to have made an effort not to distinguish DT lenses from full frame lenses when they are listed on the same webpage.

Last edited:
Also take note that some 3rd party lenses (Sigma and Tamron) are also design for APS-C only.

I think, for Sigma is DC lenses. Not sure about Tamron though. However, I usually read the lens spec 1st to know if it is design for APS-C or FF.

Just saw you looking for FF A850 or A900 at BNS. Good luck!

for tamron, lenses that are designated DiII are crop sensor lenses. Di lenses are full frame lenses.

A good place to look is dyxum.com
The lens descriptions there say if it's APS-C or full frame.

A good place to look is dyxum.com
The lens descriptions there say if it's APS-C or full frame.

One of the good lens information site. Lots of user uploaded shots taken with the lens too.

So far there are only a few DT lenses:

11-18mm
16-80mm
16-105mm
18-55mm
18-70mm
18-200mm
18-250mm
30mm Macro
50mm f1.8

I think that should be all, the rest are all FF lenses.

just to add on, there's 2 55-200mm(SAM and without) which are DT as well

Status
Not open for further replies.