Is a tripod a "MUST" for night photography??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rysouke

Apr 25, 2009
I have tried to shoot without tripod...and all my pictures so blur and distorted...so a tripod is a must?? Night photography at smaller aperture and the shutter speed will be very slow..so hand held is impossible???

Need some advise thanks

astrorion

Oct 1, 2009
if ur hand is not steady pls pls use a tripod, if not how can a picture be clear. Unless you use a high ISO. But high ISO will have noises.

limwhow

Jun 9, 2009
Life revolves arOnd East Coast
I have tried to shoot without tripod...and all my pictures so blur and distorted...so a tripod is a must?? Night photography at smaller aperture and the shutter speed will be very slow..so hand held is impossible???

Need some advise thanks
:bsmilie::bsmilie: Haha... yes. Either you use a tripod, or you improvise by resting your camera on a table and do not touch it while it takes a photo with a long exposure.

rysouke

Apr 25, 2009
if ur hand is not steady pls pls use a tripod, if not how can a picture be clear. Unless you use a high ISO. But high ISO will have noises.
i have tried set to a high ISO...but just wont work for me..

m3lv1nh0

Sep 24, 2007
Serangoon North
A tripod is recommended unless you got hands of steel. Alternative ways is to use a beanbag/camera bag/dustbin or anything that you can rest your camera on. As it's quite hard to get the camera to certain height with these found objects, a tripod is the best equipment you can invest in.

Jeremy1

Oct 10, 2009
A fast len, high sputter speed & high ISO should do the job.

But high ISO is not really advisable for night scene ( noise ) unless you are using a FX body which can handled picture at high ISO very well.

spooN

Jul 30, 2009
if u doesnt want to use tripod, u will have to upgrade to fullframe ;p

spooN

Jul 30, 2009
trade your 500D for a 5DMK2, done. hehe

rysouke

Apr 25, 2009
A fast len, high sputter speed & high ISO should do the job.

But high ISO is not really advisable for night scene ( noise ) unless you are using a FX body which can handled picture at high ISO very well.
what does FX mean?? i have a setting in my camera that can reduce high ISO noise..and i set it to strong...hope it will reduce noise with high iso setting...

android17

Sep 27, 2009
did u use image stabilizer? It can help if ur shutter speed is not extremely slow.

Kit

Jan 19, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
If its night scenes you are shooting, you are just wasting your time getting out there without a tripod.

As you said, low light photography slows the shutter speed down significantly. That's one reason why tripod is not only a good tool to have, its a necessacity. Besides providing you with a stable base to take photographs, tripod allows you to work your composition in a more precise manner e.g. straighthening your horizons and vertical lines, controlling your perspectives, etc, all of which are critical to contributing to the success of a photo. No high ISO body or IS/VR, whatever can help you with that.

You know what's causing your photos to fail but still ask if you need a tripod. Don't be lazy, haul that tripod with you and be rewarded.

rysouke

Apr 25, 2009
If its night scenes you are shooting, you are just wasting your time getting out there without a tripod.

As you said, low light photography slows the shutter speed down significantly. That's one reason why tripod is not only a good tool to have, its a necessacity. Besides providing you with a stable base to take photographs, tripod allows you to work your composition in a more precise manner e.g. straighthening your horizons and vertical lines, controlling your perspectives, etc, all of which are critical to contributing to the success of a photo. No high ISO body or IS/VR, whatever can help you with that.

You know what's causing your photos to fail but still ask if you need a tripod. Don't be lazy, haul that tripod with you and be rewarded.
hahaha...acutally today is my first try and i din know that a tripod is really very important ...cause i went for shooting after work...that why i nv bring a tripod...

Kit

Jan 19, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
I hope you realise how important a tripod is and move on to adopting a mentality of not even thinking of taking a shot at all without the tripod.

Big Kahuna

Dec 15, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
There is no short cut on taking good picture....some scene like water flow, light trails etc can't do without a steady stand....high ISO, large apeture is useless because you can't achive long exposure....sometime you may even need it in day time if you stop the light down with ND filters :lovegrin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom