Is a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 a worthwhile upgrade from kit lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsQ

Jan 27, 2002
River Valley
Visit site
Background: using 450D with kit lens 18-55 / F3.5-5.8 for sometime now.. also got the cheapo 50mm F1.8

Question: I looking at the popular Tamron 17-50 F2.8, and i read in the forum many are using it.. but is this lens worth spending $500-600 to replace the kit lens 18-55mm F3.5-5.8 ??

I was thinking, if i want a fast lens maybe i shld just go get a 35mm f2 or a 28mm f1.8 .. since a 17-50mm isn't giving a wide focal range anyway so might as well hv one fixed but with faster speed.

what you guys think?

its what you think thats important.

The 17-50 / 17-55 f/2.8s are great travel/street lenses - relatively fast, pretty high quality with a good range. Of course a 35/2 or 28/1.8 would be better for low-light situations - but it isn't as versatile. Depends on what you want to shoot really.

do a research on the image quality of those 2 primes first.
i will go for the tamron not just because the IQ is good but because both the 28 and 35 are not really wide on a 1.6x.

add: if a prime lens's IQ is poor wide open, I don't see a point buying them.

Last edited:
If your kit lens is the non IS version, the IQ difference with the Tamron is quite noticeable. A bit less so if its IS. Don't get the 28 1.8, I tried 2 of those and the IQ is just not prime-like. Get a sigma 30mm 1.4 instead.
Maybe just upgrade your non IS kit to IS version for low light and slight IQ upgrade.

thks for all input.. i never tought of the IQ of the prime lens.. i reading some review also got mention of those..

thks for all input.. i never tought of the IQ of the prime lens.. i reading some review also got mention of those..

not just prime but any lens.
if it is not usable wide open, who cares if its maximum aperture is F2.8 :bsmilie:

Yes. quite worth it if you take your photography seriously.

If your kit lens is the non IS version, the IQ difference with the Tamron is quite noticeable. A bit less so if its IS. Don't get the 28 1.8, I tried 2 of those and the IQ is just not prime-like. Get a sigma 30mm 1.4 instead.
Maybe just upgrade your non IS kit to IS version for low light and slight IQ upgrade.

mine is the IS version... 450D bundle kit lens is IS already...

ya been reading that some canon prime lens is not so good , esp the corner sharpness..

for me, i wouldnt go for primes so quickly. I'll get the 2.8 zoom.

ok .. maybe i get a long range walk ard lens 1st.. then next will be a faster one like this tamron f2.8 ..

Status
Not open for further replies.