Is a slider necessary?

Gordonyu

Jun 4, 2010
Hi,

Managed to help my friend purchased some macro extension tube.

So before I leave to bring the set for him. Made a quick test using my 50mm f1.8 lens.

OMG, I had a really hard time trying to get the subject into focus. Made some reading and found that a slider is one of the way to go.

Anyone tried doing using just the tripod? I ended up using MF and got to move forward and backward. Sometimes, my lens reached the table or plant...that close.

Any kind soul can help enlighten me? If a slider is needed then I might as well hunt for one before I am requested to help buy another item later.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

So before I leave to bring the set for him. Made a quick test using my 50mm f1.8 lens.

OMG, I had a really hard time trying to get the subject into focus. Made some reading and found that a slider is one of the way to go.

Anyone tried doing using just the tripod? I ended up using MF and got to move forward and backward. Sometimes, my lens reached the table or plant...that close.

Any kind soul can help enlighten me? If a slider is needed then I might as well hunt for one before I am requested to help buy another item later.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, a sliding rail us very useful in macro photography.

Some people use a tripod with a center column that can be angled and slid. Something like the Gitzo Explorer.

Hi,

Thanks in advance.
If you don't want to move forward & backward & keep adjusting the tripod to get the subject in focus, a slider is useful. You can get it here.
Majority of macro shooters use MF ;)

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Yes, its critical for hard to get places and magnification where precision is key..

I m using it esp when i reverse my 50 on my macro lens..

If you don't want to move forward & backward & keep adjusting the tripod to get the subject in focus, a slider is useful. You can get it here.
Majority of macro shooters use MF ;)

Hi,

I thought once he gets the macro extension it is adequate? You mean he would have to get another close-up filter so that he need not reach his lens even nearer to the subject?

Hmm, think better mail him about it. Thanks guys!

Hi,

I thought once he gets the macro extension it is adequate? You mean he would have to get another close-up filter so that he need not reach his lens even nearer to the subject?

Hmm, think better mail him about it. Thanks guys!

Hmm.. No.. extension tubes enhance magnification as u bring the lens closer to the subject, close up filter works the same and precision is required to get ur subjects in focus, thats when slider comes handy (instead of u moving the whole setup)