Is a f2.8 lens better or a VR/IS lens better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
In other words, faster lens, versus slower lens but with VR(Nikon) or IS(Canon).

Thanx.

they are different things.

fast lens allows hi shutter and DOF control.

VR/IS allow hand holding at lower shutter speed.

fast lens wun help if u need to stop down to achieve DOF and/or achieve lower shutter speed to achieve certain effect (and dun ve the use of a tripod).

VR/IS wun help if despite using the biggest aperture, the shutter is still insufficient to freeze the movement.

I would go for f/2.8, however if its f/2.8 IS then it'll be the perfect combination! IS' effectiveness is also dependent on the maximum aperture of the lens. If it's say f/5.6 at the farthest end then IS won't help much in low-light conditions. However, a constant f/4 IS is more useable compared to f/3.5 - f/5.6 IS especially when zoomed in. Hope I make sense here :)

You can find the same discussion here :
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395247

- capable of thinner dof, can isolate subject from background better compared to a smaller aperture lens ( depending on what you are shooting )
- can potentially shoot under lower lights handheld ( depends on settings )
- can increase shutter speed and freeze motion
but expensive, heavy ( usually )
* the 2.8 glasses ( especially for zooms ) are usually the higher end offerings of the companies. The IQs are usually better.

VR
- some handholding advantage as well especially dimmer lights
but expensive, and comparing to a larger aperture, while you can afford a slightly slower shutter speed, there will be some motion blur depending on ur subjects.
Draws abit of power as well.
* there is a limit to how much VR can save ur shakiness

Ryan

I am trying to decide between at 18-200mm VR and 17-55mm f2.8 actually. Thanx for all advise. I know its very different lens, but I actually seldom zoom more than 70mm, though the 18-200mm is very versatile...

I don't really fancy superzooms i.e 18-200, 28-300 because they are compromised in their image quality especially at the longest tele end.

Is a f2.8 lens better or a VR/IS lens better?
Depend on situation
I find indoor or low lighting condition, wide angle prime and VR lens are very useful and recommended. So far my best lens for indoor is 70-200 IS. I could easily get sharp shots @ 1/60sec.

Just realised the price of the 17-55mm is too fantastic for me. Maybe look at the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8.

the price difference between 18-200 and 17-55 is very big, almost $1k.
Is money a major consideration here?
if not, buy 17-55 F2.8, and 70-200 F2.8 VR. :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.