Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

wizz747

Feb 27, 2010
Singapore
I bought my 1st DSLR, a 550D, exactly 2 months ago (on 3rd April) and I still don't have a dry cabinet.

I bought my DSLR at SLR Revolution and I went there to buy a screen protector for my 550D 2 weeks ago. While there, I was talking to the salesman who had sold me my 550D 2 months ago. I was asking him about where I can get a good deal for a dry cabinet and surprisingly, he told me there's no need to buy a dry cabinet. He said he personally doesn't have a dry cabinet and he just keeps his camera and lenses in his camera bag. So, I did not buy a dry cabinet that day since I trust the guy. FYI he is the same guy who told me there's no need to buy a filter for my lens when I asked him if he was selling filters. That was on the day when I bought my camera.

However, I've always been taught to never trust what people say 100%.

So, I'm asking all my fellow CS'ers:

Is a dry cabinet REALLY necessary to store my DSLR and lens?

It is a must for all members of CS to read existing threads and use the Search engine before posting. Please check the Terms of Use.
Only you can decide whether it is a must or not. You decide based on information you get through reading and based on your own evaluation, conditions at home, risk assessment, habits etc.
Trusting a sales person is something I'd call 'brave' ... although the advice regarding filters is something I support. But then again: does he refer to filters in general for all lenses or just the filter for your (cheap) kit lens?

Last edited:
Is a dry cabinet (or box) REALLY necessary to store my DSLR and lens?

If you don't mind having fungus growing in your DSLR and lens.:bsmilie:

PS. However please note that it might take a few years to even barely see any visible fungus which also depend on where you might place or store your camera other than a dry cabinet or box.

Dry Cabinet is not really necessary.
All DSLR service center provides fungus cleaning service whenever you need it.

I'm just lazy to visit the service center for fungus cleaning, and having my equipment sit there in the service ctr queue for days. (I sent my equipment for calibration and it took 2 weeks)

dear TS. just to share with you my experience of asking recommendation for a uwa lens for a cropped frame camera. From 2 different shops I get 2 different answers.
And I found my third answer online.... now headache dunno who to trust.... :sweat:

PS. At the end of the day, you must ask start asking intelligent question like what's the main reason behind it for them to give such answers....probably they might be doing it the wrong way...probably this is what they have or don't have... any underlying motives behind giving such answer...

well.if ts wishes to grow mushrooms for dinner. i say dun need dry box in that case

I bought my 1st DSLR, a 550D, exactly 2 months ago (on 3rd April) and I still don't have a dry cabinet.

I bought my DSLR at SLR Revolution and I went there to buy a screen protector for my 550D 2 weeks ago. While there, I was talking to the salesman who had sold me my 550D 2 months ago. I was asking him about where I can get a good deal for a dry cabinet and surprisingly, he told me there's no need to buy a dry cabinet. He said he personally doesn't have a dry cabinet and he just keeps his camera and lenses in his camera bag. So, I did not buy a dry cabinet that day since I trust the guy. FYI he is the same guy who told me there's no need to buy a filter for my lens when I asked him if he was selling filters. That was on the day when I bought my camera.

However, I've always been taught to never trust what people say 100%.

So, I'm asking all my fellow CS'ers:

A very short answer to ur qs : YES

That depends on whether you are a mushroom cultivator or photographer, if the latter I suggest a dry cabinet.

That depends on whether you are a mushroom cultivator or photographer, if the latter I suggest a dry cabinet.

ah reminds me. if u set ur dry cabi too high also, u dun need keep dslrs. u might as well keep chinese herbs.:think:

you should buy. it will be ur next best investment.

It is a must for all members of CS to read existing threads and use the Search engine before posting. Please check the Terms of Use.
Only you can decide whether it is a must or not. You decide based on information you get through reading and based on your own evaluation, conditions at home, risk assessment, habits etc.
Trusting a sales person is something I'd call 'brave' ... although the advice regarding filters is something I support. But then again: does he refer to filters in general for all lenses or just the filter for your (cheap) kit lens?

He said there's no need for a filter for kit lenses in general. He said to only buy a filter for those expensive lenses. And yeah, I know it's a big risk trusting a salesman. That's why I'm here. I trust the words of 100 CS'ers more than those of one salesman of course.

And from most of your responses till now, I can see you're all recommending me to buy a dry cabinet.

I think I'm buying one definitely as one dry cabinet will only cost me around $125 and I'd rather pay that and protect my DSLR than not having a dry cabinet and risk having fungus growing in my camera and lens, especially in SIngapore's weather.

Last edited:
He said there's no need for a filter for kit lenses in general. He said to only buy a filter for those expensive lenses. And yeah, I know it's a big risk trusting a salesman. That's why I'm here. I trust the words of 100 CS'ers more than those of one salesman of course.

And from most of your responses till now, I can see you're all recommending me to buy a dry cabinet.

I think I'm buying one definitely as one dry cabinet will only cost me around $125 and I'd rather pay that and protect my DSLR than not having a dry cabinet and risk having fungus growing in my camera and lens, especially in SIngapore's weather.

Its best to get a filter for your lens.Just go to any camera shop and get a Hoya/Kenko UV filter.Even our mass sales also have Kenko:)

I find it handy to keep all equipment in one cabinet with all the shelves. Maybe don't get the smallest one, the price difference to the next sizes is not big. Equipment will come in automatically :)

Its best to get a filter for your lens.Just go to any camera shop and get a Hoya/Kenko UV filter.Even our mass sales also have Kenko:)

Yeah, I'll definitely buy a filter when I buy an expensive lens. :)

I find it handy to keep all equipment in one cabinet with all the shelves. Maybe don't get the smallest one, the price difference to the next sizes is not big. Equipment will come in automatically :)

Yups, that's what I was thinking. WIll most probably get the 2nd smallest size. :)

Last edited:
just try a search here on CS for "is dry cabinet a must" and start reading.

Yeah, I'll definitely buy a filter when I buy an expensive lens. :)

Buy a filter for EVERY lens you have.What if you accidentely knock your lens onto a sharp object?Your lens will be spoilt.But with a filter,at least you only need to replace the filter.Not the lens:)

Dry cabinet is good to have but not a must. If you use your camera and lens everyday, not necessary to have dry cabi. Alternatively, can use dry box too.

If add filter just for protection, then it's your preference. Adding another glass has it effect. If you are careful and can affort to replace lens if damaged or scratched, by all means don't use filter for protection.

Buy a filter for EVERY lens you have.What if you accidentely knock your lens onto a sharp object?Your lens will be spoilt.But with a filter,at least you only need to replace the filter.Not the lens:)

agreed. its my insurance. saved my lens many times.

the last time my ex gf dropped my f4 minolta push pull barrel telephoto lens, if not for the ASRYH%@RT VASET WCSVFASH filter, i tell u i'll TWYASDJHASDFJHXZDFNZDFN her.

agreed. its my insurance. saved my lens many times.

the last time my ex gf dropped my f4 minolta push pull barrel telephoto lens, if not for the ASRYH%@RT VASET WCSVFASH filter, i tell u i'll TWYASDJHASDFJHXZDFNZDFN her.

just curious, were you suppose to start this with letter "F"?:bsmilie:

Eh, TS, I think some will say not necessary to have a dry cabinet...but I just have this feeling that 98% of CSer put their gear in dry cabinet/box etc...the rest of the 2% either just started or still looking for answer like you do:D