is a dry box necessary??

Status
Not open for further replies.

k37

Dec 22, 2003
is a dry box necessary to keep a digi cam? cos a fren of mine brought his digi cam for a few years but nv put in any dry box and is still in gd condition.

k37 said:
is a dry box necessary to keep a digi cam? cos a fren of mine brought his digi cam for a few years but nv put in any dry box and is still in gd condition.

Hi there,
did you check his lenes?

:think: :think:

joe said:
Hi there,
did you check his lenes?

:think: :think:

haha no... nv see his cam b4... that wat he told me...

k37 said:
haha no... nv see his cam b4... that wat he told me...

what you don't know won't hurt you? better be safe than sorry.

ya... think i better get myself a dry box. thinking of getting those reuseable dry box, or those dry box sell at carrfour. which is better? any comments?

k37 said:
ya... think i better get myself a dry box. thinking of getting those reuseable dry box, or those dry box sell at carrfour. which is better? any comments?

Hi there,
try to get a dry box for yourself amd wont cost you much. ;)

If you're on a shoestring budget and don't have much equipment to store, then get a drybox ($~30?) and a bottle of silica gel ($5). The troublesome part of this setup is that you will have to microwave your silica gel once every few weeks when it turns pink. But if you don't open your drybox so often then the silica gel can last longer.

The more expensive but convienent option is to get a electronic dry cabinet to store your equipment. Generally costs under $100 for a small one. However, you will have to keep the dry cabinet near a powerpoint and keep in plugged in (recurrent electricity costs). But once you plugged it in then you can basically forget about it.

A drybox is good for its price and portability, while a electronic dry cabinet is more versatile (can store more than just cameras because you can control it's humidity level) and less troublesome.

alternatively you may try those cheapo air tight box also can but must put silica gel in.

i bet ur frn's cam grow fungas liao,beware of mushrooms :bigeyes: :bsmilie:
you check your frn's lens under bright lights and you know wat i mean.

Actually, there's no guarantee that a lens will not grow fungus in a drybox...neither it is a definite that a camera not store in a drybox will sure grow fungus. I had a camera that's older than me and it was not stored in a drybox for many years, but (fortunate for me) it did not grow any fungus.

Putting your camera and lenses into a drybox only minimises the chances of growing fungus on your glass, not eliminating it.

IMO, you can get a dry box first to store your equipment. Once you are comfortable, you can go for the dry cabinet.

I actually started off with dry box in the first place. When I got enough of equipment to store .... that's when I have to purchase dry cabinet for storage and ease of control.

It depends...

"How much do you love or treasure your equipment?"

"How much will it costs to replace them or send them for cleaning if fungus grows on the optical element?"

"How much are you willing to spend to protect your investments?"

My 2MP PnS digicam has been with me for 3 years and it has not been in a drybox and yet it's OK, no fungus yet....

But my 10 years old Rollei 35mm that my Dad passed me when I was young, has some slight fungus on the lens.

Used to own a $1k+ Prosumers camera, and that was what started me to invest in a drybox ($19.90 at Carrefour with hygrometer) and a bottle of silica gel $3-4

So, it depends on the value of the investment and how much are you willing to spend to protect it, like Life insurance, how much to insure your life for ($1m? $500k?) depends on how much are you willing to pay)

After I got a more expensive eqt, I upgraded to a dry cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.