Is a Dry Box Good Enough?


Status
Not open for further replies.

wainism

Senior Member
Apr 15, 2004
1,830
0
0
Beeshan
#1
Hi just wondering if a dry box is good enought for me.
I m planning to buy a Canon A80. So for just a compact cam,i think its pretty much an overkill if i get a dry cabi?
 

therat

New Member
Nov 26, 2003
279
0
0
Bedok
Visit site
#2
wainism said:
Hi just wondering if a dry box is good enought for me.
I m planning to buy a Canon A80. So for just a compact cam,i think its pretty much an overkill if i get a dry cabi?
dry box is good enought...
but if just a A80... hmm... :think:
If I will u... I think I will keep that money .... :D
 

hedefalk

New Member
Jul 25, 2004
3
0
0
#4
Hi!

I'm an exchange student from Sweden and I just arrived to Singapore a month ago. I'm really new to this climate and have a bit of wondering about those dry-boxes and cabinets. In Sweden I've never even heard about them. I have about 20 cameras and about 30 lenses, some from early 50s (Rolleicord and stuff) and have never had any fungus. But I guess these have spent all their life in northern Europe where the climate is very much colder and dryer. I only brought an old Minolta 9000 with a single zoom-lens and this one I don't have that much caring feelings for. But I'm thinking about buying the new Minolta Dynax 7D when it comes and I also bought a compact digicam. I'm only staying 'til late April though and will be travelling a lot anyway so do you think it is worth considering one of those?
 

mervlam

Senior Member
Apr 26, 2002
2,279
0
0
Visit site
#5
hedefalk said:
Hi!

I'm an exchange student from Sweden and I just arrived to Singapore a month ago. I'm really new to this climate and have a bit of wondering about those dry-boxes and cabinets. In Sweden I've never even heard about them. I have about 20 cameras and about 30 lenses, some from early 50s (Rolleicord and stuff) and have never had any fungus. But I guess these have spent all their life in northern Europe where the climate is very much colder and dryer. I only brought an old Minolta 9000 with a single zoom-lens and this one I don't have that much caring feelings for. But I'm thinking about buying the new Minolta Dynax 7D when it comes and I also bought a compact digicam. I'm only staying 'til late April though and will be travelling a lot anyway so do you think it is worth considering one of those?
Hmmm.... If you use your camera almost every other day, I guess there isn't a need to get one. Fungus can grow on lenses and cameras within a month if you don't store them in a dry box or cabinet due to our humid weather.

P.S. - Are you on exchange with NTU or NUS?
 

rainman

New Member
Apr 4, 2004
1,314
0
0
39
In my own world
#6
wainism said:
Hi just wondering if a dry box is good enought for me.
I m planning to buy a Canon A80. So for just a compact cam,i think its pretty much an overkill if i get a dry cabi?
Put it back to ur box or put the cam in ur wooden drawer with some packets of silicon gel. Think its good enough :)
 

hedefalk

New Member
Jul 25, 2004
3
0
0
#7
mervlam said:
Hmmm.... If you use your camera almost every other day, I guess there isn't a need to get one. Fungus can grow on lenses and cameras within a month if you don't store them in a dry box or cabinet due to our humid weather.

P.S. - Are you on exchange with NTU or NUS?

NUS. Computer Science.

Thank you for your answer!
 

RonTheMan

New Member
Dec 21, 2003
57
1
0
Visit site
#8
Use to keep my slr in a cupboard. After a year or 2, found fungus growing. After that got myself a device that looks like a flourescent light (forgot the name). But what you do with it is to install it into any cupoard and just plug in the mains.
So now I store my cameras, cds, dvds into the cupboard and for the past 10 years or so, no fungus. Pretty useful stuff. Last I saw this device was at Tangs on the very top floor.
 

cqrv

New Member
Jan 9, 2004
52
0
0
#9
RonTheMan said:
Use to keep my slr in a cupboard. After a year or 2, found fungus growing. After that got myself a device that looks like a flourescent light (forgot the name). But what you do with it is to install it into any cupoard and just plug in the mains.
So now I store my cameras, cds, dvds into the cupboard and for the past 10 years or so, no fungus. Pretty useful stuff. Last I saw this device was at Tangs on the very top floor.

What is the name of the device. Any brand names etc. Does it light up or what?

The device seems to be useful.
 

itchy

New Member
Aug 19, 2004
396
0
0
Katong
#10
Is it UV light?

Anyway, where to buy Drybox? Dry cabi can buy at Carrefoure that I read in another thread. A drybox is a real type of equipment or is it those makeshift tupperware boxes?
 

binbeto

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,312
0
0
43
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
#11
itchy> Dry box is just a air tight box that kept moisture from affecting the camera. You need to use silican gel with it. Silica gel needs to be replaced when they turn pink. The process can be reversed by frying it and it will turn blue again.


cqrv> That is UV light. UV light will kill fungus. But newer lens with UV filtering capabilities will negate the effect of this UV light.


hedefalk> Seem like you have quite a number of equipment. I will suggest you to buy a dry cabinet as the humility of Singapore is much higher than your native country.


wainism> if you wanted "automation", a dry cabinet is the way to go. You can use the dry cabinet to kept other stuff like photos, impt document, stamps, even currency collections.
 

itchy

New Member
Aug 19, 2004
396
0
0
Katong
#12
Thanks binbetto, I have a makeshift tupperware with silicon gel previously but now seeing that I got more eqpt, will then have to upgrade, possibly dry cabi. thx
 

RonTheMan

New Member
Dec 21, 2003
57
1
0
Visit site
#13
Sorry, I don't have the name of the device. It is structured like a light bulb. I believe that it consist of a low wattage heat element. When it is switched on (all the time), it feels warm to the touch.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom