Is a dry box absolutely necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acpical

Jul 25, 2007
What if I just place my equipment in my cupboard with a 'Thirsty Hippo' to absorb most of the moisture? After all, the dry box is just to control humidity, right? :dunno:

think at the end while they perform the same function.. it boils down to cost vs risk. how long can you sustain the hippo and what's the RH vaule even when you are using the hippo?

What if I just place my equipment in my cupboard with a 'Thirsty Hippo' to absorb most of the moisture? After all, the dry box is just to control humidity, right? :dunno:

You can try "lock and lock" box or any air tight container that is used to pack coffee bag or stuff. Fill the base with silica gel. And always remember to deep fried the silica gel occasionally.

haha it works for me for a few years.

You can try "lock and lock" box or any air tight container that is used to pack coffee bag or stuff. Fill the base with silica gel. And always remember to deep fried the silica gel occasionally.

haha it works for me for a few years.

Deep fried silica gel??? lol....... What oil did you use??

:bigeyes: maybe the vege oil, he refer.............
:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:... he meeant to deep dry the gels la

That was what I thought as well. After all, that is how people used to store their cameras one generation ago(?). First I heard of deep frying the silica gel though.

Hmm i bake mine... another friend of mine microwaves his, another another friend of mine stir fry her's.. depends on your style of cooking...haha^^

Is your cupboard airtight?

At least get a hygrometer, the recommended humidity levels by all would be 40-50%, too dry is not good for your lens/camera too, will dry it up too much. Too high and you get fungus lor.

Why don't you just get a dry box, dry cabinet is the costly one (at least for capital down pat) - can get it cheaply for about $20+ from Carrefour and many places. One with a hygrometer.

I use a dry box with Hungry Hippo half-open. Whole thing open is too dry, will drop to 30+ humidity levels. Silica gel is a bit.. Too ley chey, especially since I shoot quite regularly, open 4 or 5 times have to bake/stir fry/fry/deep fry the gel again. =(

That was what I thought as well. After all, that is how people used to store their cameras one generation ago(?). First I heard of deep frying the silica gel though.
long long time ago.... the dry cabinet are only available for large capacity storage, and it cost more than many cameras during that time.
a Nikon F3 only cost about $800 (top model professional camera), and most lenses cost less than 1k, so not ready that affordable to own a dry cabinet.

Nowadays, the cheapest dry cabinet is cost less than hundred bucks, and an entry level DSLR cost 1k plus. If sending a lens and a camera for fungus clearing, it will cost more than a dry cabinet liao, so it really don't make any sense that don't use a cabinet nowadays.

long long time ago.... the dry cabinet are only available for large capacity storage, and it cost more than many cameras during that time.
a Nikon F3 only cost about $800 (top model professional camera), and most lenses cost less than 1k, so not ready that affordable to own a dry cabinet.

Nowadays, the cheapest dry cabinet is cost less than hundred bucks, and an entry level DSLR cost 1k plus. If sending a lens and a camera for fungus clearing, it will cost more than a dry cabinet liao, so it really don't make any sense that don't use a cabinet nowadays.

Ya true. If budget constraint, use dry box first, then slowly save up and buy a dry cab lo.

Hi,,

I m wondering what shall be the idea humudilty in the box, As i just purchased it, the hygrometer shows ard 70 to 80 percent. I keep inside my cupboard, stuffed with my stuffed toys. Cos

i don;t wana to show the box outside my bedroom, to let my mum know that i buy such a exp camera... sorry out of topic..

what is the ideal range ? 70 to 80 percent is it too wet or dry ?? if yes, what can be doen to control the range ? thanks :)

Hi,,

I m wondering what shall be the idea humudilty in the box, As i just purchased it, the hygrometer shows ard 70 to 80 percent. I keep inside my cupboard, stuffed with my stuffed toys. Cos

i don;t wana to show the box outside my bedroom, to let my mum know that i buy such a exp camera... sorry out of topic..

what is the ideal range ? 70 to 80 percent is it too wet or dry ?? if yes, what can be doen to control the range ? thanks :)
Just purchase will be high.

Should drop to around 40-50%, I mentioned it in my earlier post.

You're using a DRY BOX or a DRY CABINET?

Just purchase will be high.

Should drop to around 40-50%, I mentioned it in my earlier post.

You're using a DRY BOX or a DRY CABINET?

I using the dry box, just purchased it end of july. the humility is ard 70 - 80 %. So should it be normal ? i just placed the silica gels only in the box thats all:)

I using the dry box, just purchased it end of july. the humility is ard 70 - 80 %. So should it be normal ? i just placed the silica gels only in the box thats all:)

Weird, the hygrometer never drop?

Are your silica gels new?

wat quantity of gel you put in. how big is your box?

Well for a peace of mind, i would rather spend $200 to keep my $2000 investment safe from fungus.

omg...that is high...fungus will grow very well...

Well for a peace of mind, i would rather spend $200 to keep my $2000 investment safe from fungus.

i agree...even spending 5% on a dry cabinet also good enough...

using silica gel in drybox is not a ultimate solution, eventually is wasting time and money.

if you think in longer term, shouldn't even bother to consider using drybox with silica gel, so don't have worry how to dispose them in future.

the cost of cleaning a lens would cost as much as a dry cabinet, so why not get one?

Status
Not open for further replies.