Is a dell computer good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
Hello,

For the those who own a dell computer, pls comment on whether a dell computer is value for money and if its customer/technical support is good.

Thank you.

Originally posted by Falcon
Hello,

For the those who own a dell computer, pls comment on whether a dell computer is value for money and if its customer/technical support is good.

Thank you.

one thing for sure is Dell has invested heaily on it's advertisement

Dell gotta be very successful and Top Computer Brand in singapore liao.

i recommend that u just get it when it is on it's mail in rebates fever,

about the speed of system, it is pretty relative, if u need nothing but usage on microsoft office applications, u can settle on the cheap dell offers, at the moment, u can get Pentium 4, 2.4GHz set for less than 1.5k

if u need something more powerful, weight it against the price u can get at sim lim.

i spend >$2k on the system, and am regreting it.

if i were to do it again, i would not spend more than $2k

DO NOT GET DELL PHERIPHERALS, they are more more more expensive

the telephone support is gd only to entertain your windows problems, anything more, they repeat the same solution, download drivers from net, re-install, it is not their area of concern.

do not get their speakers, it sucks, for mine, i am told by their engineer on 1 side works! and well, it's norm!

they only do an onsite when u got a hardware problem

what i am doing now, i am trashing my CDRW, so that in the end of 3 years, i can get a new one. hehe.

till then i hope what i write might help.

Originally posted by maxtheevil
i recommend that u just get it when it is on it's mail in rebates fever,

about the speed of system, it is pretty relative, if u need nothing but usage on microsoft office applications, u can settle on the cheap dell offers, at the moment, u can get Pentium 4, 2.4GHz set for less than 1.5k

if u need something more powerful, weight it against the price u can get at sim lim.

i spend >$2k on the system, and am regreting it.

if i were to do it again, i would not spend more than $2k

DO NOT GET DELL PHERIPHERALS, they are more more more expensive

the telephone support is gd only to entertain your windows problems, anything more, they repeat the same solution, download drivers from net, re-install, it is not their area of concern.

do not get their speakers, it sucks, for mine, i am told by their engineer on 1 side works! and well, it's norm!

they only do an onsite when u got a hardware problem

what i am doing now, i am trashing my CDRW, so that in the end of 3 years, i can get a new one. hehe.

till then i hope what i write might help.

yeap! if u get a DELL system u will be facing very expensive upgrades later

cos DELL expect you to upgrade from DELL only

inflexibility...I don't like that

I would rather go for a DIY system at Sim Lim Square

Cheaper that way

I find my DELL systems rock stable. The peripherals and drivers are torture tested to be compatible. If you factor in the cost of the original software, it's very hard to beat for value. So far I've never had to call for support.

The upgrades for extra memory are ridiculously overpriced. Other stuff like changing to a bigger hard disk or CDRW drives are in line with Sim Lim prices as posted at HWZ.

The design of the casings improves with each generation. Extremely easy to open up and upgrade stuff yourself, like hard disks, CDRW drives or memory. Adding peripheral cards is very easy also.

Highly recommended.

Would the warranty be void if I do your own upgrading like transferring my old harddisk into the comp as well as the cdrw? Can I ask them to do it? :)
The freight cost is also expensive hor ard $75 to $100.
I am not into gaming. Only going to use for school work such as programming assignment or database programming, etc. Yes, not forgetting using it for my photos.

More feedback are welcome and very much appreciated.

Personally, I own a Dell at home and use a Dell in the office.

Love my Dell at home...but hate the one in the office...

It seems to be that the newer Dells are not as good and stable as compared to the older ones...

:dunno:

Originally posted by dragos
Personally, I own a Dell at home and use a Dell in the office.

Love my Dell at home...but hate the one in the office...

It seems to be that the newer Dells are not as good and stable as compared to the older ones...

:dunno:

What is wrong with one in the office? I would suppose the one in the office would be more powerful. :)

;) Just don't buy their notebook, not very stable for the new ones....

DO NOT BUY THE LAPTOP,

My friend bought one at $3000+ hangs every now and then

i was afraid it happen to mine, thank god it didn't

i am on dimension 8250

YES u can do your own upgrade on DELL systems, and warrenty is still covered for their parts (only)

i checked this pc of info from them

but dun be shocked the cold face of their sales stuff, very nice when u are making the sales, no knowing what they sell too, they got no idea of the diff system, those m'sian

and after u placed the order, dun call your sales stuff, they are most prob too busy to entertain u, my sales rep hang up my call, when i called to ask her on my delivery status, telling me please wait for processing as it is not in her department!!!

but at least u can get phone support from them on software problem from your system on XP,

hope this helps

Originally posted by maxtheevil
but dun be shocked the cold face of their sales stuff, very nice when u are making the sales, no knowing what they sell too, they got no idea of the diff system, those m'sian

juz to share my experienece...mine is not a dell but a gateway. and they're in malaysia too...but the customer service is really helpful when i called them up cos my cdrom broke down. courier came and took de faulty one away. happened again...this time its my fault cos i didnt install de cdrom properly *me no pc-techy* but they exchanged it for a new one again. too bad...no more gateway now. :D but according to one pc mag i read months back....dell support system sure sux.

Bought a Dell 4 months back. Worked well till now, no problems. Thot I got it at the best price then.
Falcon - look like u need the most basic system as u don't use pc for gaming. I think their basic systems are good value for money. U can call them up and get a good bargain too. From my experience its easier to get a discount from the male staff than the female ones. Also its good value to package the peripherals u need and work on the package price. I don't think u will save much from the Sim Lim shops, also there's a lot of hassle in going and doing the walk around. Not many shops are good and professional they are just after a quick sale. From my experience the price can be more in Sim Lim.

bought a dell dimension 8100 last June. the parths haven't failed me yet.

just buy the basic system that they advertise and slowly add on a dc-rw, better sound card, speakers...etc

but a thing to note is that by adding on stuff you'll be voiding the warranty.

Originally posted by BoXXer
bought a dell dimension 8100 last June. the parths haven't failed me yet.

just buy the basic system that they advertise and slowly add on a dc-rw, better sound card, speakers...etc

but a thing to note is that by adding on stuff you'll be voiding the warranty.
You can add them yourself, and then remove it when you need tech support.

The Dell notebooks have not failed me since I used it from 2001.

Originally posted by MrBig

one thing for sure is Dell has invested heaily on it's advertisement

Dell gotta be very successful and Top Computer Brand in singapore liao.

yah, same as canon and nikon. ;p

Originally posted by ninelives

yah, same as canon and nikon. ;p

But minolta never... why? hopeless? :devil:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by kingpin
Bought a Dell 4 months back. Worked well till now, no problems. Thot I got it at the best price then.
Falcon - look like u need the most basic system as u don't use pc for gaming. I think their basic systems are good value for money. U can call them up and get a good bargain too. From my experience its easier to get a discount from the male staff than the female ones. Also its good value to package the peripherals u need and work on the package price. I don't think u will save much from the Sim Lim shops, also there's a lot of hassle in going and doing the walk around. Not many shops are good and professional they are just after a quick sale. From my experience the price can be more in Sim Lim.

You mean they can still give additional discount? I thought the price of the computer is more or less fixed?

Actually I am interested in the Dell dimension 2350 which is 1.8Ghz with flat screen 15'' monitor. Trying to save up space on my desk thus hoping to get a flat screen. :) Do you guys think it is worth getting?

Falcon - yes they will work a package for you. Ask for the discount, they did give in my case. Some (female staff) are more strict and they don't give. So call again and try another staff. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.